Adding weight to Brushcutter

UnionParish45

Equipment
L2501
Aug 29, 2021
Bernice, LA
I have a L2501 and a Landpride 1260 brush cutter. I need more weight on my rear end for some loader work. Rear tires are already filled. Would it hurt anything to put bags of concrete on the mower deck up towards the lift arms? Maybe five or six 50 lb bags?

Thanks!

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Shouldn’t hurt a thing.

But if you’re attempting to lift something THAT heavy…. KEEP that load on the loader LOW. VERY LOW.

Reactions: 1 user

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
With all that weight be sure to shift into four wheel drive, and by all means keep the bucket as low as you possibly can.

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
I have a L2501 and a Landpride 1260 brush cutter. I need more weight on my rear end for some loader work. Rear tires are already filled. Would it hurt anything to put bags of concrete on the mower deck up towards the lift arms? Maybe five or six 50 lb bags?

Thanks!
What is telling you that you need more weight than the brush cutter to ballast your fully loaded FEL? Do the rear wheels lift off the ground?

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
Load your rear tires if you haven't. I usually have my grader scraper, loaded R4s, and with QH15 on mine. That works fine with a loaded bucket of arena sand, dirt, or gravel.

woodman55

Equipment
L6060HSTC, RTV 1100
May 15, 2022
canada
If the ass is coming off the ground with loaded tires and a cutter on the back, I am wondering if someone jacked up the hyd relief ?

Reactions: 1 users

UnionParish45

Equipment
L2501
Aug 29, 2021
Bernice, LA
What is telling you that you need more weight than the brush cutter to ballast your fully loaded FEL? Do the rear wheels lift off the ground?
I was digging out dirt along the edge of a new pond. Going straight down the grade into the pond to remove dirt (no water yet along the pond edges, but water out beyond this point so I could not come at it from the pond bottom).

ken erickson

Equipment
B7100 hst, 2650 front mount snowblower, L2501 hst qa loader
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
I was digging out dirt along the edge of a new pond. Going straight down the grade into the pond to remove dirt (no water yet along the pond edges, but water out beyond this point so I could not come at it from the pond bottom).
I am in the middle of digging a pond with my L2501, loaded tires and small box blade for ballast. Imagining the OP's scenario I think the weight of the bucket load , and then backing up the pond embankment (if indeed he's backing up ) he is unloading a lot of the weight of the rear tires. Hence his need to add more ballast than what his filled tires and brush cutter provide.

As to adding weight to the brush cutter I think I would consider the weight of the brush cutter and how it compares to the maximum 770 lbs that Kubota recommends for a rotary brush cutter. My RCR1272 weighs about 568 lbs. That being the case I would feel comfortable with 4 50lb bags of concrete keeping them as close to the lift pins as possible. Your cutter comes in about 500 lbs so 5 bags would bring you up close to the 770 lbs.

Last edited:

nbryan

Equipment
Jan 3, 2019
I am in the middle of digging a pond with my L2501, loaded tires and small box blade for ballast. Imagining the OP's scenario I think the weight of the bucket load , and then backing up the pond embankment (if indeed he's backing up ) he is unloading a lot of the weight of the rear tires. Hence his need to add more ballast than what his filled tires and brush cutter provide.

As to adding weight to the brush cutter I think I would consider the weight of the brush cutter and how it compares to the maximum 770 lbs that Kubota recommends for a rotary brush cutter. My RCR1272 weighs about 568 lbs. That being the case I would feel comfortable with 4 50lb bags of concrete keeping them as close to the lift pins as possible. Your cutter comes in about 500 lbs so 5 bags would bring you up close to the 770 lbs.
Why are all the suggestions of adding bags of sand or concrete suggest them being placed up as close as possible to the lift pins? That is where the half of the added weights have the LEAST effect on ballasting the FEL.
i suggest maybe you can get away with using less, maybe half, of the added weight bags by placing them near the rear of the mower deck.
The end result will be the same: the weight being further back will increase the ballasting effect of the same weights of ballast. So you can use less!
I really doubt having LESS weights near the mower's rear will cause any structural issues with the mower frame. The weight at the pins remain the same!

ken erickson

Equipment
B7100 hst, 2650 front mount snowblower, L2501 hst qa loader
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
My thoughts are that if the extra weight , bringing the total static weight close to that 770 lbs, is toward the front its less likely to impose as high dynamic forces compared to the weight being at the rear.

nbryan

Equipment
Jan 3, 2019
My thoughts are that if the extra weight , bringing the total static weight close to that 770 lbs, is toward the front its less likely to impose as high dynamic forces compared to the weight being at the rear.
True, less load leverage if closer to fulcrum. Could get away with a lighter ballast add-on in a pinch though, if placed at the furthest from tractor location for max effect.

UnionParish45

Equipment
L2501
Aug 29, 2021
Bernice, LA

This is exactly the problem I was experiencing.

UnionParish45

Equipment
L2501
Aug 29, 2021
Bernice, LA
Why are all the suggestions of adding bags of sand or concrete suggest them being placed up as close as possible to the lift pins? That is where the half of the added weights have the LEAST effect on ballasting the FEL.
i suggest maybe you can get away with using less, maybe half, of the added weight bags by placing them near the rear of the mower deck.
The end result will be the same: the weight being further back will increase the ballasting effect of the same weights of ballast. So you can use less!
I really doubt having LESS weights near the mower's rear will cause any structural issues with the mower frame. The weight at the pins remain the same!
I suggested putting the weight up close to the lift arms as I would be worried about the stress on the Landpride cutter deck. The side walls of the cutter have been less than stellar and have bent very easily. It probably doesn’t matter and I agree with what you posted.

Chanceywd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501DT BH77 VIRNIG URG60-CT 1950 8N
Mar 26, 2021
central ny
I was backing up a slope last year with the backhoe on and full loader digging my pond. I found the best thing was using the dif lock as soon as I started back. It really made the difference and felt more secure balance wise.

Bill

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Had a look at TD for the specs... the 770# is for a brush cutter NOT what the 3PT can lift ,which is 1300 to 1900#.
Possible, easy solution is to drop the BC, add a carry all or ballast box, add weight until the unit performs properly

Vigo

Equipment
B6100, B8200
Jan 9, 2022
San Antonio Texas
the 770# is for a brush cutter NOT what the 3PT can lift ,which is 1300 to 1900#.
Usually the weight rating is given in terms like 'at the pins' or '24" behind the pins' and the thing about a brush cutter is that MOST of its weight is past even the 24" mark, so it 'acts' heavier than it is, especially 'dynamically' when you hit bumps etc.

Technically speaking there is no reason you couldn't just add weight to the front of the brush cutter until the 'effective weight' is the same as something like a 1300-1900# ballast box. In terms of simply lifting it up with the 3pt, they would act the same. But in other ways, they would differ. For example, the reason i would not add weight to the rear of the brush cutter even if could get away with less weight that way, is because the amount of tension you put the top link bracketry under might actually hurt/deform something if you start hitting bumps like that. Maybe that stuff is near invincible on his equipment, but since im not standing next to his tractor or his brush cutter to look, i'm inclined to err on the side of caution on that one.

UnionParish45

Equipment
L2501
Aug 29, 2021
Bernice, LA
I was backing up a slope last year with the backhoe on and full loader digging my pond. I found the best thing was using the dif lock as soon as I started back. It really made the difference and felt more secure balance wise.

Bill
Thanks for the tip on the differential lock - it made a huge difference!