Adding Rear Remotes if You Have a Backhoe

wallyblackburn

Equipment
L3800, Backhoe, FEL
May 20, 2014
Pataskala, OH
Thinking of adding rear remotes on my L3800 HST. It has a backhoe, so there are flexible lines in back that connect to each other when backhoe is not in use. I'm guessing those must be power beyond, right? And, if so, wouldn't it be relatively simple to plumb those onto valves for remotes?

Don't let any of this sound like I know what I'm doing. I know just enough to be dangerous...

Thanks,
Gus

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Thinking of adding rear remotes on my L3800 HST. It has a backhoe, so there are flexible lines in back that connect to each other when backhoe is not in use. I'm guessing those must be power beyond, right? And, if so, wouldn't it be relatively simple to plumb those onto valves for remotes?

Don't let any of this sound like I know what I'm doing. I know just enough to be dangerous...

Thanks,
Gus
Yes, You can easily plumb a valve in there for remotes

marrmanu

Equipment
B2620 3pt chipper, box blade, post hole auger, custom 3pt chain box with hooks h
Jan 16, 2021
usa
I was thinking the same on my B2620, however there is a latch that holds the 3pt hitch lever in the down position when the BH is on. The owners manual indicates that damage could occur if the 3pt hitch is not locked out. So on mine I would not be able to use a remote with a 3pt implement that I would have to raise.
Maybe the L3800 is different.
It will be interesting to read what others have to say that know more about this.

eserv

Equipment
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
I was thinking the same on my B2620, however there is a latch that holds the 3pt hitch lever in the down position when the BH is on. The owners manual indicates that damage could occur if the 3pt hitch is not locked out. So on mine I would not be able to use a remote with a 3pt implement that I would have to raise.
Maybe the L3800 is different.
It will be interesting to read what others have to say that know more about this.
You could also put a remote valve on your B2620.. The reason that you must latch the TPH lever forward on it is because the TPH linkage interferes with the backhoe when it is on and you could potentially have a situation where the TPH was going over relief if the lever was calling for a position higher than the BH frame allows. This interference doesn't exist on the L3800 so they don't require the lever latch

Reactions: 1 user

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
I have been wanting to ask this question for a while. I also have a backhoe with no remotes. I have seen that Summit makes kits for electric remotes that could be plumbed into the power beyond, I'm just not brave enough to do it at the moment. I have a 3rd function, so I am going to run a line from that to the back.

eserv

Equipment
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
I have been wanting to ask this question for a while. I also have a backhoe with no remotes. I have seen that Summit makes kits for electric remotes that could be plumbed into the power beyond, I'm just not brave enough to do it at the moment. I have a 3rd function, so I am going to run a line from that to the back.
That would be a fairly awkward way to rig up a remote but it would work! You will need two lines

eserv

Equipment
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Sometimes the wonky and awkward is the simplest solution to a difficult problem.
The hardest problem to solve when adding remotes to smaller Kubota's is finding real estate in a convenient location to mount the valve! Plumbing it is easy!

Nicfin36

Equipment
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
That would be a fairly awkward way to rig up a remote but it would work! You will need two lines
I have thought it out, at least I think I have. I am going to make a mount for the rear remotes and mount it to the ROPS and run the line along the fender. For now, it will be permanent or at lease semi-permanent until I do something else. The negatives is I will have to unhook and hook into the 3rd function depending on whether I want to use the rear or front, and I won't be able to use both at the same time.

eserv

Equipment
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
I have thought it out, at least I think I have. I am going to make a mount for the rear remotes and mount it to the ROPS and run the line along the fender. For now, it will be permanent or at lease semi-permanent until I do something else. The negatives is I will have to unhook and hook into the 3rd function depending on whether I want to use the rear or front, and I won't be able to use both at the same time.
You could plumb in ball valves to select which end of the tractor you want to use. Or if you have quick couplers at the front simply disconnect them and the oil will be forced to the rear and vis-versa.

Nicfin36

Equipment
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
You could plumb in ball valves to select which end of the tractor you want to use. Or if you have quick couplers at the front simply disconnect them and the oil will be forced to the rear and vis-versa.
Yeah, I don't want to get too complicated as I don't plan on using rear hydraulics that often, but it will be there when I need it. Of course, all that can change with time.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO

Thanks,
Gus
Correct. The backhoe loops just extend the reach of your hydraulic system "beyond" the tractor to the BH...so it can the use its own valves/controls to regulate hydraulic flow. You basically want to add a few rear remote valves (they come in pairs). Most larger machines have a valve stacking point so they can be easily added. I don't know how to go about it on your machine, but just start with finding a rear remove kit for it.

MattN03

Equipment
2011 B3200, LA504 FEL w/B2366 SSQA conversion, BH76 BH, EA Wicked 55
Sep 5, 2016
KY
My B3200 came with the BH76 and 2 rear remotes. I bought the tractor used, but I believe it's a Landpride kit.

Nicfin36

Equipment
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
I've redneck-engineered more than my share, but if the lines for the backhoe are already back there, why run lines all the way from the loader controls?

Simple, quick and I would think somewhat cheaper.

But, like the OP, I would like to see/know about remote solutions for tractors with backhoe plumbing. Summit hydraulics sells a kit directed it seems at Deere compact tractors, but it should work on a Kubota. It is electrically operated though. Also, plumbing will have to done so it doesn't interfere with the backhoe mounting. I'm ignorant on hydraulics somewhat as well.

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
When I had my BX22, I installed rear remotes by hooking into the 2 back hoe lines, and added a return to tank from the valve. Unfortunately, that valve developed an internal problem and no repair parts were available for it, so I removed it from the tractor, since it was messing up the hydraulic system of the tractor, and the loader wouldn't raise.
I thought about doing the same with the BX23S, however, there isn't a plug in the side of the transmission to install a return to tank line. I started installing a Land Pride 3rd function valve last weekend, and had the rear wheel off of the tractor and was looking for a metal plug, but there was none.
I would like to use the 3rd function valve to power the backhoe thumb, but I don't know exactly what size cylinder that I will need. I have been looking for more information on this, but so far, I haven't found anyone that has done this other than Paul Short, and he doesn't give very much detail other than to say that the cylinder that he used came from Princess Auto. Since there are no Princess Auto in the States, that is of no help.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
When I had my BX22, I installed rear remotes by hooking into the 2 back hoe lines, and added a return to tank from the valve. Unfortunately, that valve developed an internal problem and no repair parts were available for it, so I removed it from the tractor, since it was messing up the hydraulic system of the tractor, and the loader wouldn't raise.
I thought about doing the same with the BX23S, however, there isn't a plug in the side of the transmission to install a return to tank line. I started installing a Land Pride 3rd function valve last weekend, and had the rear wheel off of the tractor and was looking for a metal plug, but there was none.
I would like to use the 3rd function valve to power the backhoe thumb, but I don't know exactly what size cylinder that I will need. I have been looking for more information on this, but so far, I haven't found anyone that has done this other than Paul Short, and he doesn't give very much detail other than to say that the cylinder that he used came from Princess Auto. Since there are no Princess Auto in the States, that is of no help.
I've thought a little about converting my thumb to hydraulic. I'm thinking a diverter mounted near the boom/stick joint and plumbed into the bucket lines for the thumb cylinder would work. Then I wouldn't have to run 2 more lines past that boom swing joint. Seems like a button on the bucket lever could select between bucket curl and thumb extend.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
As I understand it, there's the potential of exposing the valve to too much back-predsure on the T port. Somebody mentioned above that his procedure was to lock the 3 pt valve down. This keeps it relieving to the tank so that back-pressure on the added valve isn't a problem. And when you order a third-function valve, they ask whether you have a backhoe or not. This is because the backhoe can cause the back-pressure problem. There seem to be 2 solutions:
1. Use a valve with power beyond and route the T port back to the tank.
2. Use a valve that can withstand full relief pressure on the T port. Summit has a third-function valve that can. I don't know all the implications (stem leakage?) of using one.
Comments?

holmanjp

Equipment
2022-Bx23s, BX2822A, RCK60D-26BX-1, RB1560, QH05
Feb 16, 2021
MN
I know this is an older thread, but I'll post here to start. I know nothing about how hydraulics work. At some point I would like rear remotes. I would like to use the summit EVK4-K8
Electric Rear Remote Valve Kit for Kubota BX Series Tractors (Four Spool) I will only need or use it with BH off.
My idea is to mount it to my 3pt QH. I would use a quick connect at rear of tractor to plug the electric line into. I would then use the lines for BH I believe it is the PB line (the one with short hose off the tractor) I would connect this hose via QC to the (in) port of the valve and build a short hose to run from the (out) port, that would run to the tank port I believe. (the one the short hose plugs into when BH is off. I have seen videos of guys using those 2 connection points and it works. I have also read post people saying it wont work/isn't the right way, and need to use all 3 lines on back of tractor. Which of these is true? If I need to use all 3. Is there away or can I plumb that 3rd line to the summit valve?

Attachments