Adding a "tractor-port" to my barn

egilchrest

Equipment
Kubota L3901
Sep 16, 2021
Oxford, CT USA
Built my barn about 15 years ago. It is fully heated/ac'd and has my machine shop/wood shop in it along with some nice space for gym and home theater, etc.
Well...since I just got my l3901, needed to figure out a place to store it along with all the implements. Not enough room inside the barn so I decided to add a lean-to off the back of the barn.
Not quite finished yet, but it is 12' x 60' x 9' high. So enough space for everything related to the tractor. Decided to pour concrete instead of just gravel since I want to have roll around dollies for the implements.
Not beautiful, but should be very functional. Just waiting for the concrete to fully cure before I seal it and start moving stuff in.
The roof panels are mostly clear polycarbonate to allow light through (a few in the middle are white. gotta work with what was available)

Oh, by the way, the first job for my l3901 was clearing and leveling this area for its new home.

IMG_2927.JPG

IMG_2928.JPG

• Love
Reactions: 13 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Built my barn about 15 years ago. It is fully heated/ac'd and has my machine shop/wood shop in it along with some nice space for gym and home theater, etc.
Well...since I just got my l3901, needed to figure out a place to store it along with all the implements. Not enough room inside the barn so I decided to add a lean-to off the back of the barn.
Not quite finished yet, but it is 12' x 60' x 9' high. So enough space for everything related to the tractor. Decided to pour concrete instead of just gravel since I want to have roll around dollies for the implements.
Not beautiful, but should be very functional. Just waiting for the concrete to fully cure before I seal it and start moving stuff in.
The roof panels are mostly clear polycarbonate to allow light through (a few in the middle are white. gotta work with what was available)

Oh, by the way, the first job for my l3901 was clearing and leveling this area for its new home.

View attachment 69903

View attachment 69904
If you don't have them already, for convenience, you should have at least two weather proof exterior electric outlets along that barn original exterior wall.
Attractive looking lean-to!

With your rafter dimension, and associated "bird's mouth" cuts, I assume that your area has a zero snow load, though the surrounding forest type does not really support my assumption.

Your rafters should be attached at the "birds mouth" with Simpson Strong Ties or similar.

Reactions: 1 users

egilchrest

Equipment
Kubota L3901
Sep 16, 2021
Oxford, CT USA
If you don't have them already, for convenience, you should have at least two weather proof exterior electric outlets along that barn original exterior wall.
Attractive looking lean-to!

With your rafter dimension, and associated "bird's mouth" cuts, I assume that your area has a zero snow load, though the surrounding forest type does not really support my assumption.

Your rafters should be attached at the "birds mouth" with Simpson Strong Ties or similar.
Thanks for the comments. Yes, it's not quite finished yet. Need to tie-in the rafters still.
I do have weatherproof exterior outlets at each end, but plan to add more. You can see one in the bottom right of one of the photos.
We are in CT and I will certainly have to watch out for a crazy snow and make sure I clean it off.
Although you would be surprised at the garage portion on my main house. My house is a 200 year old converted barn. The garage portion has about an equivalent pitch as this lean to and it was built with 2x3s back in the 50's. It's on my list to completely rebuild, but it survived the crazy snowfall in 2011 with close to 3 feet of snow on it. I was sure it was going to collapse and it held up very well.

Reactions: 1 user

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Thanks for the comments. Yes, it's not quite finished yet. Need to tie-in the rafters still.
I do have weatherproof exterior outlets at each end, but plan to add more. You can see one in the bottom right of one of the photos.
We are in CT and I will certainly have to watch out for a crazy snow and make sure I clean it off.
Although you would be surprised at the garage portion on my main house. My house is a 200 year old converted barn. The garage portion has about an equivalent pitch as this lean to and it was built with 2x3s back in the 50's. It's on my list to completely rebuild, but it survived the crazy snowfall in 2011 with close to 3 feet of snow on it. I was sure it was going to collapse and it held up very well.
Your snow issue is likely lessened by the fact that your roof panels are smooth and slippery, though the very shallow pitch, and long span (for what looks to be 2x6 stock) is a definite snow load issue.

I grew up in, and still own, my family 291 year old house, about 200+ miles East of you.
A 10/12 roof pitch with red cedar shingles.
It is very sturdy, and the wind off the ocean usually keeps it mostly clean of snow.
I won't see it now though until May.

I am much too old to clean snow off of a roof!
Just trimmed the palm trees here yesterday.

egilchrest

Equipment
Kubota L3901
Sep 16, 2021
Oxford, CT USA
Your snow issue is likely lessened by the fact that your roof panels are smooth and slippery, though the very shallow pitch, and long span (for what looks to be 2x6 stock) is a definite snow load issue.

I grew up in, and still own, my family 291 year old house, about 200+ miles East of you.
A 10/12 roof pitch with red cedar shingles.
It is very sturdy, and the wind off the ocean usually keeps it mostly clean of snow.
I won't see it now though until May.
Just trimmed the palm trees here yesterday.
OK, now your rubbing it in. Starting to get cold here...palm trees eh

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
I should be so lucky. Looks great !
Do you have to fold the ROPS to get it in there or did you already account for that?
(I have to fold mine, dang-it-all...no choice)

Snowed here today and yesterday :-( Not quite snowblower depths yet, but it's coming.

Mike in NB,Canada

egilchrest

Equipment
Kubota L3901
Sep 16, 2021
Oxford, CT USA
I should be so lucky. Looks great !
Do you have to fold the ROPS to get it in there or did you already account for that?
(I have to fold mine, dang-it-all...no choice)

Snowed here today and yesterday :-( Not quite snowblower depths yet, but it's coming.

Mike in NB,Canada
No, the l3901 with ROPS is well below even the low end of the roof. That was a must when I built this

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: So enough space for everything related to the tractor.
hahahahahahahahaha..... it's NEVER big enough !!!!

sure looks nice though !

I hope the grade on the side is enough to get RID of snow and water ? Looks like the 'hill bank' might need to be 'pushed back' some ?? Maybe 2 feet wider than the tractor ?
there, yet another project to add to your list......

egilchrest

Equipment
Kubota L3901
Sep 16, 2021
Oxford, CT USA
re: So enough space for everything related to the tractor.
hahahahahahahahaha..... it's NEVER big enough !!!!

sure looks nice though !

I hope the grade on the side is enough to get RID of snow and water ? Looks like the 'hill bank' might need to be 'pushed back' some ?? Maybe 2 feet wider than the tractor ?
there, yet another project to add to your list......
Thanks!
There is a swale to the left of the row of small rocks on the "hill bank" that is there to redirect water coming down from the upper part of my property down to the barn. My plan is to now put some kind of drainage from the edge of the tractor-port down into that swale to take water away.
My wife wants to keep the rock wall and small upper area for some kind of garden, so I need to be creative to keep her happy. It was the compromise to get the room for the tractor.

OrangeKrush

Equipment
BX2680, LA344 with Piranha tooth bar, LP PF 1242, LP Rear Blade, KK 60" BB
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
Nice extra storage for the important stuff.👍
Solid 2x6 blocking down the center of those rafters would make a huge difference in strength when snow starts to accumulate. Stagger them 1 1/2" to make nailing or screwing them easier.

Reactions: 1 user

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
I would move the rocks, level it out a bit, space the vertical supports a little further apart and have your implements positioned so you can back right up to them. That would make things a lot easier.

Oliver

Equipment
L2501, JD 3520
Feb 2, 2011
Preston County, WV
I would move the rocks, level it out a bit, space the vertical supports a little further apart and have your implements positioned so you can back right up to them. That would make things a lot easier.
I was going to suggest this but looking at the amount of rocks to move decided not to. :) But since you did, I'll add that that's what I did with my 18' x 30' carport. The implements set at the edges and I just back, or pull up to attach them.

egilchrest

Equipment
Kubota L3901
Sep 16, 2021
Oxford, CT USA
Nice extra storage for the important stuff.👍
Solid 2x6 blocking down the center of those rafters would make a huge difference in strength when snow starts to accumulate. Stagger them 1 1/2" to make nailing or screwing them easier.
Yes, the blocking is a good idea, thanks!

egilchrest

Equipment
Kubota L3901
Sep 16, 2021
Oxford, CT USA
I was going to suggest this but looking at the amount of rocks to move decided not to. :) But since you did, I'll add that that's what I did with my 18' x 30' carport. The implements set at the edges and I just back, or pull up to attach them.
I would love to do what you guys suggested, but, for now my plan is to put every implement on its own dolly.
Even if I wanted to blow away the rocks and hill, I wouldn't have room. I would have to move the huge swale that is behind it only about 6' to 8' back from the rocks.

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
I would love to do what you guys suggested, but, for now my plan is to put every implement on its own dolly.
Even if I wanted to blow away the rocks and hill, I wouldn't have room. I would have to move the huge swale that is behind it only about 6' to 8' back from the rocks.
Get a couple of quotes from excavators or whatever you call people that do "dirt work". Thats not a big job I don't think. Think of it as an investment or permanent improvement.

Hkb82

Equipment
M7060, Ford 5600, can-am defender
Nov 17, 2021
Ontario Canada
When I first started ready I thought heat and ac now that’s love. If my 7060 hears this I’m sure the hydraulics will stiffen a bit.
I like what you have built but in my area a roof that flat snow would definitely be a major factor. I to am considering a lean off an existing building to keep my tractor and free up my shop again. I’ll be going solid roof though I’d rather no sunlight for storage. I’m sure I’ll probably build full walls also but just not in the plans I initially show the wife. Lol nice work and looks good

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
What an awesome project! Looking forward to seeing it completed. By the way, what the heck is the reflection in the window? Looks like some kind of gremlin. :unsure:

wtf.jpg

OrangeKrush

Equipment
BX2680, LA344 with Piranha tooth bar, LP PF 1242, LP Rear Blade, KK 60" BB
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
I was curious too but figured it was a dummy owl. Does look more like a gremlin!

Reactions: 2 users