Adding a man door to a steel shed

Pawnee

Equipment
L2501
Jul 1, 2021
Ontario Canada
My dad built this shed 45 years ago and had framed in a man door just in case.
I don't know if I've invented a new way of adding a door but it worked so well I'm posting it.

Here is the rough opening after I removed the 2x3s to which the steel was fastened.
Framing.jpg

Next I attached the door frame to the inside of the steel with a 3/16" gap all round.
Door framing.jpg

I drilled holes from the inside at all 4 corners and drew a sharpie line on the outside of the steel. I cut the steel with an angle grinder only where the hinges go and screwed the hinges on. If you look close you can see the cut.
So now the door is built and hinged but 80% of the opening is still uncut.
Hinge.jpg

I went round the rest of the door with the angle grinder and swung the door open!
Done.jpg

How cool is that? Perfect fit!
Done_1.jpg

The edges need filing to get rid of the steel shards and then it will be just as safe as everything else in the shed. (Which isn't very.)
Now I'll be able to get inside during the Winter when ice and snow keep the main doors shut.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
My dad built this shed 45 years ago and had framed in a man door just in case.
I don't know if I've invented a new way of adding a door but it worked so well I'm posting it.

Here is the rough opening after I removed the 2x3s to which the steel was fastened.
View attachment 67104

Next I attached the door frame to the inside of the steel with a 3/16" gap all round.
View attachment 67105

I drilled holes from the inside at all 4 corners and drew a sharpie line on the outside of the steel. I cut the steel with an angle grinder only where the hinges go and screwed the hinges on. If you look close you can see the cut.
So now the door is built and hinged but 80% of the opening is still uncut.
View attachment 67106

I went round the rest of the door with the angle grinder and swung the door open!
View attachment 67107

How cool is that? Perfect fit!
View attachment 67108

The edges need filing to get rid of the steel shards and then it will be just as safe as everything else in the shed. (Which isn't very.)
Now I'll be able to get inside during the Winter when ice and snow keep the main doors shut.
Great idea!
You must get heavy snow accumulation.

Reactions: 1 user

Pawnee

Equipment
L2501
Jul 1, 2021
Ontario Canada
I finished the door today by putting a latch on it. If you look up "Cottage latches" you will find all sorts of interesting solutions but way too pretty for a shed.

I don't recommend the hockey puck idea, they are pretty hard if you get one in the ankle but not great to drill 1" holes in.
Puck.JPG

Outside closed:
Outside handle.JPG

Outside open:
Open.JPG

I can operate it from the inside too so I can't get locked in:
Inside handle.JPG

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
I like your hockey puck use! Did you use a forstner bit for the 1" holes?

Pawnee

Equipment
L2501
Jul 1, 2021
Ontario Canada
I like your hockey puck use! Did you use a forstner bit for the 1" holes?
^Thanks Larry.
I drilled the puck in 3 steps with S&D bits. The last 1" drill bit left the hole too small so I had to bore it out some.
I got new pucks, maybe old ones would be a bit easier? The smaller holes were not difficult.

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
^Thanks Larry.
I drilled the puck in 3 steps with S&D bits. The last 1" drill bit left the hole too small so I had to bore it out some.
I got new pucks, maybe old ones would be a bit easier? The smaller holes were not difficult.
But the new pucks add that nice touch of class to the finished looks!! 😄 Great idea! This area is full of hockey fans. (UND College) Over Halloween weekend there was a non-conference destination hockey game in Nashville, TN and 13000 UND fans showed up for it. Crazy!

Pawnee

Equipment
L2501
Jul 1, 2021
Ontario Canada
Great idea!
You must get heavy snow accumulation.
We usually do Ok, it depends a lot on the weather doing things in the right order.
Right now Ontario is getting heavy snow.
I can still open the new door without it touching snow but another few hours will change that, I just left a shovel down there.

IMGP0429.JPG