Adding a Hydraulic Thumb to an L45 (no factory rear aux hydraulics)

akgsaab

Equipment
Kubota L45
Aug 10, 2020
Nevada City, CA
Hello. First time poster, long time researcher.

I recently picked up a 2013 L45. It has factory front auxiliary hydraulics but does not have them for the backhoe.

I have searched every Google and forum search terms I can find without luck.

I am trying to figure out if I can add a hydraulic thumb. Can I purchase the Kubota kit and will my machine run a hydraulic thumb without replacing the backhoe valve body etc?

An easier question: Does anyone know what I need to buy to make this work on this machine?

Lycomech96

Equipment
B2601, loader, backhoe
Nov 12, 2018
Williamsport, PA, USA
I can't answer your question, but I have a back hoe and thumb on my B2601 and notice the hydraulic circuit that raises and lowers the three point implements is unused. Too bad there aren't any external ports we could use for a hydraulic thumb and control the thumb with the lever for raising and lowering, but that circuit is internal to the rear end.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I can't answer your question, but I have a back hoe and thumb on my B2601 and notice the hydraulic circuit that raises and lowers the three point implements is unused. Too bad there aren't any external ports we could use for a hydraulic thumb and control the thumb with the lever for raising and lowering, but that circuit is internal to the rear end.
That circuit (3 pt hitch) is also single acting so of little use trying to control a double acting cylinder

Dave

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
The M59 BH thumb valve bolts on to the BH valve body and doesn't use aux hydraulics per se. I imagine it will be similar on your machine. I'd start by talking to your Kubota dealer to see whats available for your machine.

akgsaab

Equipment
Kubota L45
Aug 10, 2020
Nevada City, CA
Thank you for this information! I will ask the dealer on Friday. I am hopeful I can "add to" vs "replace" the hydraulic valve unit to install a thumb.

jajiu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560 HSTC, Grader, Backhoe, Snow Plow, Pallet Forks
Jun 5, 2016
Rowley, Massachusetts
Thank you for this information! I will ask the dealer on Friday. I am hopeful I can "add to" vs "replace" the hydraulic valve unit to install a thumb.
I had the hydraulic thumb installed when I purchased my BH a few years ago and had some leak problems this year. The BH sat idle for over a year while I recuperated from shoulder surgery, any way, when I pulled the tower cover off, I could tell it was more than I could handle so brought it to the dealer. The valve runs off a pedal and has a plunger with 'O' rings that had to be replaced. The valve is added to the main valve which is like a 'gang valve' with several added together with long bolts. You shouldn't have a problem adding the valve. No additional hoses, it all works off the BH hook-up.

akgsaab

Equipment
Kubota L45
Aug 10, 2020
Nevada City, CA
I had the hydraulic thumb installed when I purchased my BH a few years ago and had some leak problems this year. The BH sat idle for over a year while I recuperated from shoulder surgery, any way, when I pulled the tower cover off, I could tell it was more than I could handle so brought it to the dealer. The valve runs off a pedal and has a plunger with 'O' rings that had to be replaced. The valve is added to the main valve which is like a 'gang valve' with several added together with long bolts. You shouldn't have a problem adding the valve. No additional hoses, it all works off the BH hook-up.
Thank you for the information. I have been in touch with the dealer and have ordered the “Whole goods” parts for the hydraulics lines/valve/pedal as well as the thumb kit.

Reactions: 1 user