Actual lifting capacity differences between Clamp on and frame type forks

Mr Winichester

Jul 13, 2017
Hawaii
I would like to get some opinions on what the difference in actual lifting capacity would be for a new 80 series BX23S with the two styles of forks that are available. Lets say the lift capacity without any bucket was 600 lbs.
factoring that the bucket forks put the load out further.

Land pride Clamp on bucket forks, 80Lbs a pair

Kubota factor forks and frame 270Lbs a pair

G.rid

Equipment
L48 tlb, ssqa forks, manual thumb for hoe
Aug 19, 2016
Oxford, NS, Canada
I'm not sure on the capacity differences but something else to consider is the visibility. The bucket will definitely get in the way. Depending on the fork frame, some have more or less windows cut for visibility and to take away some weight.
If you have SSQA, to me it's a no brainer.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
No contest!
With the BX23S's SSQA, light weight pallet forks all the way! ;)

dalola

Equipment
BX2380 w/FEL & Woods RM48 RFM, Yazoo/Kees Max2 ZTR
Jun 30, 2017
Ohio
I got a set of Titan clamp-on (to the bucket) forks. Serious over-kill for the weight the tractor is able to lift, whatever it may be extended out another 30". They are handy for light-duty stuff like brush, and I made a plywood shelf I can mount across as a simple carrier of sorts. If you're looking for max lift capacity, this is not the way to go. But it's great for convenience and light duty work.

Mr Winichester

Jul 13, 2017
Hawaii
I think primarily I am going to use the front bucket or the forks.
So I like the two lever SSQA set up they now offer on the new BX23s, to change between the two. But the SSQA reduces the lift by 80 lbs and the SSQA forks and frame is a 300lb implement, so your left with I think like a 250lb lift capacity. Might as well use a hand truck! So I am really wondering about the whole fork situation on the new BX. Make me think of ordering the tractor with the pin on front bucket which you still can do. and may be clamp on forks. I dont know if it makes sense to have those really heavy duty forks if you cant lift any thing with them!

I need more advice on this, Thanks.

Kennyd4110

Vendor Member
Sep 7, 2013
Westminster, MD
www.boltonhooks.com
I think primarily I am going to use the front bucket or the forks.
So I like the two lever SSQA set up they now offer on the new BX23s, to change between the two. But the SSQA reduces the lift by 80 lbs and the SSQA forks and frame is a 300lb implement, so your left with I think like a 250lb lift capacity. Might as well use a hand truck! So I am really wondering about the whole fork situation on the new BX. Make me think of ordering the tractor with the pin on front bucket which you still can do. and may be clamp on forks. I dont know if it makes sense to have those really heavy duty forks if you cant lift any thing with them!

I need more advice on this, Thanks.
Your not factoring in the fact that you remove the QA bucket when attach the QA forks in your weight estimates, the forks will weigh a bit more than the bucket but only by 50-75lbs and not the 300lbs you mentioned.

Will forever regret getting a pin on setup, and changing later will be much more costly since you'd have to get a new bucket or have yours converted to SSQA.

There are some fantastic lightweight fork options on the market, some like the Artillian setup that's only about 225lbs that should be considered.

Last edited:

Mr Winichester

Jul 13, 2017
Hawaii
Thanks Kenny,

I see there are some Light weight fork options out there,But Ihave not found any for the new SS. type QA, I did see Ai2 is working on one for the new QA system.

https://bxattachments.com/sneak-pea...et-forks-for-the-new-skid-loader-quick-hitch/

But Im in hawaii so everytjing is trickyer to have delivered. So im leaning toward the dealer option which they list in their specs as total frame and fork weight as 274 lb and they say total lift capacity is 242 lbs, that seems low? See specs below.
What does everyone think about that 242 number

These are the spec from kubota on the frame and forks that ship with the 2017 BX23S for the SSQA system:

On Monday, July 17, 2017 12:35 PM, KTC Customer Satisfaction <ktc_g.customersatisfaction@kubota.com> wrote:

K9184 Pallet Fork Dimensions:

overall length (assembled)--in (mm):
overall width--in (mm): Frame- 41 (1041)
overall height--in (mm): Fork- 21.5 (546) Frame- 28.5 (724)
effective fork length--in (mm): 32 (812)
fork width--in (mm): 3.94 (100)

BX2415 Pallet Fork Frame Dimensions:

overall width--in (mm): Frame- 45 (1155)
overall height--in (mm): Fork- 21.5 (546) Frame- 29 (739)
effective fork length--in (mm): 32 (812)
fork width--in (mm): 3.94 (100)
fork thickness--in (mm): 1.57 (40)
fork width adjustment (fork center line)--in (mm): 20.25 (514.35)
weight of each spring fork--lbs (kg): 84 (38)
weight of frame only--lbs (kg): 107 (48.4)
weight of pallet forks (complete)--lbs (kg): 274.8 (124.6)
pallet fork rated lift capacity--lbs (kg): 242 (110)

Kennyd4110

Vendor Member
Sep 7, 2013
Westminster, MD
www.boltonhooks.com
That 242 has to be a misprint, no way are the forks "rated" for 242lbs unleash they are made of balsa wood:D

FYI, it's not a "new" type of attachment, the SSQA standard has been around forever, yes it is new the the BX and you need watch the weight of things though.

Here is the Artillian system I mentioned. Note you buy the "frame" and then you can add accessories like the forks and a grapple to it. Yes I understand the shipping to HI sure complicates things.

http://www.artillian.com/SSQA_PalletForkSets.htm

Mr Winichester

Jul 13, 2017
Hawaii
The kubota bx23 specs. for the loader that has the SSQA is 613lbs at the loader pins, So if that is without any bucket? , with the Kubota 275 lbs fork set thats 313 at the pins. So at the center of the pallete maybe 242 lb is the lifting capacity of the tractor?

Mr Winichester

Jul 13, 2017
Hawaii
If thats true then, things are looking better, I dont know how much the buckett weighs but the forks and frame cant weigh more than 150 lbs more than the bucket so maybe Ill get 350 lift capacity with a pallett, not that great but not as bad as I thought. Any one out there with a BX with SSQA cn comment.

Rookie Farmer

Equipment
B2650 SSQD forks 60" rear finish mower
Jun 9, 2017
Tenino, WA
Load the rear tires and add rear ballast no you will be able to lift a lot more. It is really easy to max out weight with a pallet.

Flienlow

Equipment
Kubota BX25D, Kubota U25 mini EX, SVL75,Landpride Grapple,Landpride grading scra
Mar 9, 2015
snohomish
FWIW -I don't know about the others here, but I bought a cheap set of Titans off Amazon. They are a great value but almost worthless for the BX25. There is way too much leverage on the bucket and I could barely lift a sheet of plywood. I was so disappointed that I sold them.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Mr. Winchester, I think Kenny is pointing you in the right direction.

I would love to have the SSQA feature, for the use of forks.

Like others said, I too bought a set of Titans clamp-ons. They're almost made too well for a BX, because I think they're 40 or 50 pounds each, WAY out there beyond the pins.

I have picked stuff off the truck with them, but usually just lift the load and drive the truck out from under the load. The weight is so far forward, I don't care to move much.