A short story about what happens when you're drinking on Black Friday.............One man, his Kubota, and a lever

je1279

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 w/ 60" MMM, LP 72" Snow Plow, EA Wicked 55" Grapple, and Woods 60" BB
Dec 6, 2020
Upstate NY
From here on out it was a simple "just use a 2x4 to pry up with one corner and remove a block" situation.

Getting it off the shipping stand was fairly easy as well.

Here she is in her final resting spot.

After this I was cleaning up a little and wouldn't you know it.....I totally forgot that the "giant rug" we use in that room should have been put down BEFORE I bolted it to the floor....DAMN IT!!!!

Oh well, I'll either cut it to fit around the safe or un-bolt the safe and stuff it under there.

And here I though it was going to be a "quiet weekend".... 😂 😂

View attachment 116949

View attachment 116950

View attachment 116951
Well done sir! I experienced similar trials and tribulations getting mine off my truck (prior to owning a tractor) and getting it situated into my old house. When we moved a few years ago, it made it into the garage at the new place and it sits there to this very day.

Reactions: 1 user

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23SLSB-R-1 plus additions
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
Cool. Thanks for the common sense clarification and following it up that the manufacturer might have considered this via the inclusion of some sheeting. Which I suspect the instructions might even suggest. are for use on carpet (common sense). But I’m only guessing…
I was in the midst of helping the wife baking and making a mess, so some things I said got inserted wrong. You'll get it sorted!!

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23SLSB-R-1 plus additions
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
Nice one getting the safe to the ground floor, RWS 👍

Reactions: 1 users

Geezer3d

Equipment
Kubota LX2610SU
Apr 22, 2021
Heart of the Catskills
Just curious, was that Egyptian PVC or Schedule 80? I’m thinking Schedule 40 would make some nasty cracking noises and be less round after a stint?
I don't remember for sure, but I think it was schedule 40. You might get more strength out of a smaller diameter pipe like 1/2 inch, but I used 3/4 because I had to traverse a door threshold. I did not notice any cracking or out-of-round conditions on the PVC.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Well done sir! I experienced similar trials and tribulations getting mine off my truck (prior to owning a tractor) and getting it situated into my old house. When we moved a few years ago, it made it into the garage at the new place and it sits there to this very day.
That reminds me of how over-confident I got after I acquired a tractor with a FEL.. and decided it’d be a snap to move a refrigerator from my garage to the hangar by myself. (The wife would be so proud of me when she got back from church and saw I’d moved it out of her way.)

I put a 4’x4’ piece of plywood across the forks and rolled the refrigerator onto the palletforks… lifted it about a foot…backed out of the garage …turned 90-degrees to the left and raised it another 2 feet or so…(now 3’ off the ground)… and drove it forward to the personnel door of the hangar (which was at the top of 3’ of steps)….. when the rt-front wheel went into the french-drain I wasn’t thinking about…that tire sinking into the gravel…. and. which tipped the tractor…AND refrigerator over-to the right…gingerly-balancing on it’s right bottom-edge… all clearly visible from another angle due to the reflection in the spare-bedroom-window it was next going to crash-through if I so-much-as-hic-cupped….. I shoved the clutch in but thinking it was too late…
But the refrigerator balanced there several loong moments…and then settled back onto the pallet. 😥

Whew!

Got some boards and laid them across that french drain to support the wheel and …Got ‘er done! 😇

Reactions: 2 users

K7G

Equipment
L2501HST, LA526 w/ L2248, BB1260, RCR1860, EA Disc Harrow
May 29, 2023
Aladamnbama
Good job, great score!

When we built our house, the plans called for 2 x double doors in the living room.

For a variety of reasons, one set was removed and the builder framed the remaining one on the wrong side of the room. When he sent me pictures, I quickly pointed that out and that error was easily corrected. Thank goodness - it’s been a godsend in getting larger items in the house!

The doors are next to the master which was also supposed to have a door to the porch which is where these double doors also lead. That didn’t make sense so we also eliminated that bedroom door to the outside for security reasons.

When I moved my safe into the house, it wasn’t too bad. Three of us, me and two college guys, got it in without too much trouble. It went into our master closet which doubles as our tornado room. Having the safe there give me a little comfort if the house falls down around us. I also keep a crowbar there in case we have to dig out. That closet is the quietist room in the house.

IMG_7083.jpeg

CGMKCM

Equipment
RVT-1100C, ZD323, L4760
Jan 26, 2021
Randolph county N.C.
May help others.
I have a similar size safe and I was too cheap to pay for delivery and installation. I found a 3/4" hole tapped dead center in the top panel of the safe. I used an eye bolt with a short piece of chain to pick safe up with loader. placed safe on front porch and tipped safe through door unto a throw rug that had pile side down. Slid the safe across hardwood floor. We then stood safe up and tipped it into our spare bedroom that was carpeted. Again slid safe and stood upright to final destination. Two people for sliding and a third to help stand the safe upright.

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
Thanks.

It's a group 2 model 6730 with the change key.

Now Liberty Safe can't give my combo to the FBI....hahahahha
Since you like to make gadgets.....here's something for you.
I've got some more safe jobs to do for my locksmith buddy so I made this "alignment tool jig". When I was tapping the aluminum end pieces I didn't notice they were slipping a little bit in the lathe and I messed up the knurling a bit. But now that the prototype works....I'll remake them in brass.

The two threaded end pieces are turned to perfectly fit the bushing diameter for the front dial ring. The other threaded end is turned to perfectly fit the recess that the drive cam rotates in.

When mounting the lock body to the rear of the door and the dial ring on the front side....using this setup will perfectly align the dial ring and dial shaft with the lock body mechanism.

You wouldn't think it would be necessary to go to all the trouble until you run into a safe that has the pre drilled mounting screw holes in the door off center enough that you can't get the dial ring centered correctly. This setup will tell you exactly where the dial ring needs to be mounted to be concentric with the lock body mecanism. And thus prevents any rubbing between the dial and ring when dialing the combination.

It worked so well that I'll be making a set of ends for some LaGard, Yale, etc. combination locks too.

Here's the alignment set:
Alignment Setup.JPG

And where the ends get held in place by the threaded rod when mounting lock body and dial ring to the safe door:
Threaded Insert Locations.JPG
the white nylong bearing insert in the dial ring was badly worn. I'll be replacing it with the new black one in the middle of the pic.

Reactions: 1 user

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
PS: My Finance-ChairWoman approved the purchase when it was explained that her heirloom jewelry and our property deeds, passports, Titles, Certificates and Wills were protected within.
That story helped sell the first safe
Since you like to make gadgets.....here's something for you.
I've got some more safe jobs to do for my locksmith buddy so I made this "alignment tool jig". When I was tapping the aluminum end pieces I didn't notice they were slipping a little bit in the lathe and I messed up the knurling a bit. But now that the prototype works....I'll remake them in brass.

The two threaded end pieces are turned to perfectly fit the bushing diameter for the front dial ring. The other threaded end is turned to perfectly fit the recess that the drive cam rotates in.

When mounting the lock body to the rear of the door and the dial ring on the front side....using this setup will perfectly align the dial ring and dial shaft with the lock body mechanism.

You wouldn't think it would be necessary to go to all the trouble until you run into a safe that has the pre drilled mounting screw holes in the door off center enough that you can't get the dial ring centered correctly. This setup will tell you exactly where the dial ring needs to be mounted to be concentric with the lock body mecanism. And thus prevents any rubbing between the dial and ring when dialing the combination.

It worked so well that I'll be making a set of ends for some LaGard, Yale, etc. combination locks too.

Here's the alignment set:
View attachment 117350

And where the ends get held in place by the threaded rod when mounting lock body and dial ring to the safe door:
View attachment 117351
the white nylong bearing insert in the dial ring was badly worn. I'll be replacing it with the new black one in the middle of the pic.

Great minds think alike sir!

I started making mine yesterday.

The tool was a hundred bucks plus shipping but it does not look that hard to make.

20231203_142000[1].jpg

• Love