A little apprehensive

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
For 15 years or more my wife and I have worked on our long driveway which is actually a crown land road which we have an easement to use but is also open to the public. We have put countless hours into it and more money than I care to think about but every year around this time a few of the locals like to come in and tear it up with their trucks to go fishing. Trouble is the frost is coming out right now and they make quite a mess. A few times I tried putting a chain across but they just beat the lock off so this morning I'm on my way out with the tractor to drop some trees across the road for a week or so until it has a chance to heal. It's funny, a few years ago I would do something like this and not even give it a second thought (6 foot tall and bullet proof) but the last little while I have to stand back and think about it. I guess age and all the early morning aches makes a guy realize his begonias aren't as big as they used to be.:eek: Anyway for the next bit the browning pump will be spending a lot more time by my side...nothing like that click of a pump to end an argument.

Talenel

Equipment
B2601HST
Dec 10, 2018
Staples, MN
IDK how it is in Canada, but we generally don't have to privately upkeep public roads. And blocking a public access is illegal.

An Illegal activity combined with toting a shotgun even here could get you into real trouble even before any threat was involved....

Utopia Texas

Equipment
Kubota B2650/Kubota L6060
Jun 14, 2017
Brookshire & Cat Spring, Texas
Sorry to hear of your problem and jerks tearing up a road without any thought that someone has to spend time and money for the up keep. Even if it is not your road I see the need to maintain so you have a nice entrance to your property but getting into a deadly conflict over the road is not worth it.

fruitcakesa

Equipment
M 6040
Oct 26, 2010
Cavendish Vermont
Mud season in Vermont often brings out the mud-bogging fools who love to tear up the already destroyed roads.
Those of us who have to drive those roads everyday pay the price and of course being public laneways there is nothing one can do although I have had some scary ideas about what I would do if it was legal.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
IDK how it is in Canada, but we generally don't have to privately upkeep public roads. And blocking a public access is illegal.

An Illegal activity combined with toting a shotgun even here could get you into real trouble even before any threat was involved....
I guess I should have made myself a little more clear. I have been in touch with DNR and have their blessing to block the road temporarily until the frost comes out. I am in no way looking for trouble nor want any. DNR themselves used to close off the road years back however they beat the lock of the gate and stole the steel bar that went across. As for the shotgun it's not as though I'll be driving around with it however it will be with me when I'm on my own property and working in my garage. The road usually only takes 5 to 7 days (sometimes less) to heal give or take. As for fishing here the Bras d'or lakes are the huge with many spots to fish so there is no need to tear up roads. With any luck this time next week the road will be fine and this week will be uneventful.

I do appreciate your input and you are absolutely right on both counts. Thank you all for taking the time to share your point of view, much appreciated.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I have a similar problem with my land in mid-Michigan we hunt and camp on. It's only acessable via a seasonal road through State Game land and it's clearly marked 'No trespassing private property' but people totally disregard the signage, trespass on my land, leave their garbage behind and tear up stuff. Every year I have to clean up people's junk. I've removed old tires, beer cans (at least the cans have a 10 cent deposit so I get 10 cents for each one). People in general today are despicable and have no respect for the property of others. I pay the real estate taxes on it and get to clean it up every spring too.

In the past, I've caught poachers on my land and I don't deal with them very well. Michigan is an open carry state and I openly carry up there. Usually my 44 Smith in a hip holster or my Kimber 1911. It's amazing how attitudes change when the see I'm armed even if they are carrying a long gun (poaching).

Would I resort to violence. Don't know, I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. Hasn't happened yet but one never knows. I have in the past, detained poachers and called the local LE. They frown on trespassers and especially poachers.

I respect the rights of others, I want them to respect mine but as a rule, they don't.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Mud season in Vermont often brings out the mud-bogging fools who love to tear up the already destroyed roads.
Those of us who have to drive those roads everyday pay the price and of course being public laneways there is nothing one can do although I have had some scary ideas about what I would do if it was legal.
I read somewhere that 70% of Vermont residents have a firearm or multiple firearms (sort of like here where everyone I know has more than one, me included). I'm of the opinion that it's only illegal if you get caught.

Like I said in my previous comment, a lot of people are despicable and don't take into account the rights of others today.

Canada is different than here far as firearms go. I know that as well. Been to Alaska via Canada to hunt and I'm well aware of the transportation of firearms through Canada and what you can and cannot do.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
I have a similar problem with my land in mid-Michigan we hunt and camp on. It's only acessable via a seasonal road through State Game land and it's clearly marked 'No trespassing private property' but people totally disregard the signage, trespass on my land, leave their garbage behind and tear up stuff. Every year I have to clean up people's junk. I've removed old tires, beer cans (at least the cans have a 10 cent deposit so I get 10 cents for each one). People in general today are despicable and have no respect for the property of others. I pay the real estate taxes on it and get to clean it up every spring too.

In the past, I've caught poachers on my land and I don't deal with them very well. Michigan is an open carry state and I openly carry up there. Usually my 44 Smith in a hip holster or my Kimber 1911. It's amazing how attitudes change when the see I'm armed even if they are carrying a long gun (poaching).

Would I resort to violence. Don't know, I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. Hasn't happened yet but one never knows. I have in the past, detained poachers and called the local LE. They frown on trespassers and especially poachers.

I respect the rights of others, I want them to respect mine but as a rule, they don't.

Flip I never thought I'd say it let alone think it but we think a lot alike but I'm not saying you don't get on my nerves at times, ok a lot of times, lol.

Attachments

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
People who break locks & such are usually too stupid to reason with, but how about a sign explaining that blocking access is only a temporary situation until the ground firms up?

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
People who break locks & such are usually too stupid to reason with, but how about a sign explaining that blocking access is only a temporary situation until the ground firms up?
Already did that Bill, I found the sign in the woods on the other side of the road.

shootem604

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L245DT with Kubota (Arps Model 22) FEL and Kubota B/L4520B (Woods 650) BH
Apr 23, 2018
British Columbia
Its the beginning of "citiot" season here too. Brings the poachers, dumpers, criminals, morons, good people, and bums. Last week I found a load of drywall, in the hazmat bags marked asbestos. In past years I have found the remnants of grow ops and meth labs dumped here, household garbage, chemicals, and everything else. I can only legally open carry on my own property, and I do to protect myself and my family from the wildlife that is attracted to the garbage.

In BC, if folks are trespassing they have to provide ID on demand to the landowner; refusal to do so or refusal to leave is called assault by trespass, and the landowner can use force to remove folks or arrest them (not that charges will result when police come to collect them). In one instance I had four people shooting within 500 feet of my house - I drew on them, had them belly down on the dirt, educated them, and then directed them to a box canyon on crown land 2 kilometers away - there was no way they didn't see my house there and it was an active threat and I wasn't prepared to wait 20+ min for the local constable.

'Citiots' have the idea that any land with a creek, trees, and grass must be a public park and frequently trespass to poach, dump, target shoot, sunbathe, or make off with anything not bolted down. After a couple of decades of military and law enforcement service, my patience for stupidity is limited.

Muzzy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650HSDC
Feb 13, 2019
WNY
BB, age brings wisdom, you are just being smarter, times have changed.
You still have the right to protect yourself, family & property with as much force as necessary. The trespassers dictate that level, be alert, be ready, be careful.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
500 feet from the house is bad, whats worse is when you come out at 0500 in the morning to go to work and find some clown sitting on your back porch smoking and drinking coffee waiting for deer to come into YOUR orchard. I asked him what the hell did he think he was doing, he said huntin. Things got a little terse at that point, and I was late for work.
Trespassing, hunting in a safety zone, position of a controlled substance, and a in position of a stolen firearm. Something about Karma came to mind, when they tucked him in the back of the cop car

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
BB, age brings wisdom, you are just being smarter, times have changed.
You still have the right to protect yourself, family & property with as much force as necessary. The trespassers dictate that level, be alert, be ready, be careful.
Well things aren't quite that clear cut here, here your life has to be threatened by someone with a gun or knife and you have know way out. That being said if someone comes in here and is about to do harm to my wife and myself both our lives are gonna change drastically.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Flip I never thought I'd say it let alone think it but we think a lot alike but I'm not saying you don't get on my nerves at times, ok a lot of times, lol.
It's only a forum, no one gets on my nerves, when I feel my BP rising, I go somewhere else.... Life is too short to get upset over an Internet forum, something I learned over the last few months. I have an entirely different attitude than I did before towards people and forums.... and my wife too...:D

I apologize if I irritate you, not intentional at all.

I say some things that can be construed as strange but then, keep in mind that I have large tractors that are different from most posters on here.

Like your tree method. You have a long access road, kind of reminds me of my up north property only out seasonal road isn't nearly as nice. I could improve it but I'm not hauling one of the M's 250 miles to do that. So long as I can get in and out, all is good and I do it in 4 wheel drive anyway. Unlike the idiots, I go slow and don't spin my wheels.

fruitcakesa

Equipment
M 6040
Oct 26, 2010
Cavendish Vermont
I don't know the actual figure but I would say that at least 70% of the folks I know own at least one firearm. I do, although I am not a hunter I'm glad to be able to own and carry one if I choose to.
I read somewhere that 70% of Vermont residents have a firearm or multiple firearms (sort of like here where everyone I know has more than one, me included). I'm of the opinion that it's only illegal if you get caught.

Like I said in my previous comment, a lot of people are despicable and don't take into account the rights of others today.

Canada is different than here far as firearms go. I know that as well. Been to Alaska via Canada to hunt and I'm well aware of the transportation of firearms through Canada and what you can and cannot do.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
It's only a forum, no one gets on my nerves, when I feel my BP rising, I go somewhere else.... Life is too short to get upset over an Internet forum, something I learned over the last few months. I have an entirely different attitude than I did before towards people and forums.... and my wife too...:D

I apologize if I irritate you, not intentional at all.

I say some things that can be construed as strange but then, keep in mind that I have large tractors that are different from most posters on here.

Like your tree method. You have a long access road, kind of reminds me of my up north property only out seasonal road isn't nearly as nice. I could improve it but I'm not hauling one of the M's 250 miles to do that. So long as I can get in and out, all is good and I do it in 4 wheel drive anyway. Unlike the idiots, I go slow and don't spin my wheels.
Chill my friend, I have a lot of respect for the knowledge you share here on the forums, I only wish I had your knowledge. Don't ever take me too serious I was just yankin' your chain to get a reaction. Next drinks on me my friend.:D