A green tractor question...well, sort of.

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
I have an old John Deere 2030 that I only use to pull a rotary cutter to cut my place a few times a year. The tank started leaking last year and it is rusted out pretty bad. I finally found a metal aftermarket. They have been unavailable a while. $566 after tax and shipping, but I sucked it up and paid for it, glad to maybe have a replacement. Well, it shows up today in a thin box, too small, no packing. The tank was dented, but I was more concerned about the edges. I thought about keeping it, but I'm worried about a new tank leaking. I know it is not acceptable. What do y'all think?

20230818_175941.jpg
20230818_180035.jpg

Attachments

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
That crack in the seam seems pretty questionable. I would be sending pictures to the seller and seeing about getting it replaced.

Reactions: 2 users

will721

Equipment
LX2610, Ford 2n, Ferguson TO20
Jun 6, 2023
Quad Cities Area
I wouldn't run it just out of principle. But if there is an issue with the seller you can always water test it first to make sure it will hold fuel. Plug the holes and give it a little air pressure using your hand as a seal ao you don't pop it.

Or, they make a product called red coat that you can use to line your old tank to buy you time. Sort of like adding a rubber liner to it.

Reactions: 1 user

Nicfin36

Equipment
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
That crack in the seam seems pretty questionable. I would be sending pictures to the seller and seeing about getting it replaced.
Yeah, that's my thought as well. I really don't care about the dents. But, the hits it took on the seams has me worried about leaks. I've pretty much resigned myself to sending it back and contacting the seller. I just don't understand how something could have been packed so poorly for shipping. Inexcusable. Nothing surprises me anymore, and it seems indifference has only gotten worse with each year.

Nicfin36

Equipment
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
I wouldn't run it just out of principle. But if there is an issue with the seller you can always water test it first to make sure it will hold fuel. Plug the holes and give it a little air pressure using your hand as a seal ao you don't pop it.

Or, they make a product called red coat that you can use to line your old tank to buy you time. Sort of like adding a rubber liner to it.
I also agree. That's another reason I am going to return it. I bought it from an eBay seller and I'm guaranteed my money back, but wish they just had enough sense to properly pack it. I knew about the liner, but I'm getting old and lazy and decided to buy a new one. I may end up trying that if I can't get one shipped without damage.

Trustable

Equipment
l2501HST
Jul 5, 2022
Michigan
I also agree. That's another reason I am going to return it. I bought it from an eBay seller and I'm guaranteed my money back, but wish they just had enough sense to properly pack it. I knew about the liner, but I'm getting old and lazy and decided to buy a new one. I may end up trying that if I can't get one shipped without damage.
I wonder if they (aftermarket) make a plastic one that is a direct replacement. it would last longer and ship better I would imagine.

Nicfin36

Equipment
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
I wonder if they (aftermarket) make a plastic one that is a direct replacement. it would last longer and ship better I would imagine.
Yes, they do. You can also buy them in fiberglass. However, I was unsure of how well the plastic or fiberglass would hold up because of how the tank bolts up to the tractor. It may be superior in every way. At least plastic certainly can't rust. You're right. The plastic one would probably ship with less potential damage and I have reconsidered it now that I will send this one back.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Did you notice the box it came-in..? Was the box damaged also..? Did you get the delivery-service to observe the damage…?

If the box were damaged ….the seller of the tank will likely suggest to you that you should be making a claim against the freight-service, etc.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
A couple trash bags and a can of expanding foam would have solved the packing issues for the seller 🙄🙄🙄

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I have an old John Deere 2030 that I only use to pull a rotary cutter to cut my place a few times a year. The tank started leaking last year and it is rusted out pretty bad. I finally found a metal aftermarket. They have been unavailable a while. $566 after tax and shipping, but I sucked it up and paid for it, glad to maybe have a replacement. Well, it shows up today in a thin box, too small, no packing. The tank was dented, but I was more concerned about the edges. I thought about keeping it, but I'm worried about a new tank leaking. I know it is not acceptable. What do y'all think?

View attachment 109562 View attachment 109563
Defective/damaged!
Get rid of it!
Send it back, for full credit!

Kurtee

Equipment
BX2660, BX2680 cab, JD 2032R, Honda 5518, JD X590, JD X739
Oct 3, 2013
Nicollet, mn
Did you notice the box it came-in..? Was the box damaged also..? Did you get the delivery-service to observe the damage…?

If the box were damaged ….the seller of the tank will likely suggest to you that you should be making a claim against the freight-service, etc.
Just return it thru ebay and let the selled deal with it. I sent out a tool that was damaged in shipping with ups and got told that it was my issue due to how it was packaged. $1500.00 item plus shipping bye bye. Shipper will need to pack better.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Many times the shipper will refund your money and not want the damaged item back and tell you to dispose of it. If that turns out to be the case, then you can sandblast the seam, have it brazed shut, and slap a coat of paint on it. Let the shipper decide if they want it back or not, since the shipping is on them, not you.

Nicfin36

Equipment
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
It was in a carboard box that was too small for the tank and the box was very thin. The edges of the tank had cut through the box. There was no packing material in the box. There were many ways it could have shipped safely, and that was not one of them. It should have been overpacked with another box at the very least. It comes with a fuel cap, drain valve and fuel line valve, which were in the box. I could tell those were in a bag taped to the tank. But the bag they were in was obliterated and the parts were loose in the box. How they did not fall out was a bit of a surprise to me. I'll contact the seller for a return. If they told me to keep it, with a refund, I certainly would try to use it.

Attachments

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
I just finished a very similar situation with my 1974 Green JD 1530. The fuel tank developed a leak so....
IMG_4488.JPG

I pulled the tank last Saturday and after wire brushing found...
IMG_4489.JPG

A good size hole in the upper painted portion and also multiple pinholes where the tank contacted the tractor frame. I considered using that "inside of the tank" sealer but after 49 years I felt that replacement was the answer.
IMG_4508.JPG

I ordered the new replacement tank Saturday and it arrived Wednesday. I was concerned about shipping damage but thankfully it arrived with "narry a scratch".
IMG_4532.JPG

I cemented webbing to the tank bottom to protect it from rubbing the tractor frame.
IMG_4530.JPG

And completed the install this morning. Out one Saturday, ordered, received, and installed in one week!!

Reactions: 2 users

will721

Equipment
LX2610, Ford 2n, Ferguson TO20
Jun 6, 2023
Quad Cities Area
Yes, they do. You can also buy them in fiberglass. However, I was unsure of how well the plastic or fiberglass would hold up because of how the tank bolts up to the tractor. It may be superior in every way. At least plastic certainly can't rust. You're right. The plastic one would probably ship with less potential damage and I have reconsidered it now that I will send this one back.
I assume they mount around the edges where thr two halves come together? If so I wouldn't really worry about how it mounts. If vibration is the concern you could swap the hardware to flange head bolts with flanged nylock nuts and pinch the tank between rubber washers so it floats the tank.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
'return to sender'......
damaged goods, they need to replace or refund, bonus if they say keep it.
Even IF the seem doesn't leak now, it probably will after a few long hours in the field.
If you do get it for free, take to a 'rad shop' have them inspect and repair.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Fiberglass tanks can be problematical with Ethanol-gasoline. The ethanol leaches the plasticizer and develops a “gel“ that clogs carbs, ports, etc.

Nicfin36

Equipment
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
Magicman, good to see yours arrived in good condition. I don't know exactly how bad my tank is, but from looking down the filler neck with my flashlight, it is pretty bad. Being we have similar year tractors, I suspect mine is not far off from yours.

I'm going to start a return today and take it from there., I'd be surprised if they told me to just keep the tank, being that it is over $500.

Nicfin36

Equipment
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
I assume they mount around the edges where thr two halves come together?
I forgot to answer your question. Yes, that is how it mounts I do believe. I have not removed my existing one yet.