A different color

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
As bad as I hate to say it I have found a green tractor that is a hay baling machine. I have been working this week for a local farmer in the hay field running his equipment. Normal haying equipment pulled by JD tractors, 5085 and a 5105. Both are setup with with Power Reverser Plus quad 4 transmissions with hi/low so it's a total of 32 speed. The 5085 did a great job but the 5105 is a dream to pull a baler with. Hyd shuttle and the perfect gear for any condition. Then add the 540-E Pto which only requires about 1600 engine rpm's. Half the noise and (advertised) to cut fuel consumption by 1 gph. Then a few little things that stood out to me that just were like icing on the cake. Factory outlet on the back to plug the baler pigtail in, power point (with optional 2nd) in the cab for the bale monitor, U shaped rubber in the rear corner of the cab that removes so the baler wiring can enter the cab then put the rubber back in to seal the hole up. Little things like that just make me think a farmer's needs were thought of when it was designed. :)

Yeah, I still love my Kubotas but it really makes me wonder what color the next one will be. As I get older and stiffer the more comfortable and quieter cab of a Deere seem much nicer than it did a few years ago. :confused:

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
No doubt John Deere makes some nice tractors, our renters use 7000 and 8000 Series tractors and they are extremely nice with spacious cabs with instructor seats a real plus for those with children. You can even put a seat in the 5000E Series cabs. I do like Kubotas, but we own Case, Massey Ferguson and a John Deere SCUT.

I doubt I will be buying any more tractors, so Kubota will be what I pass on to my kids, but if buying new other brands are well worth consideration. I don't make any money with my tractors and after looking at different brands, the M8540 and L5740 were the best fit for our needs as far as features and price.

turck

Equipment
m5140, JD2020, ford 850, farmal 240
Apr 20, 2013
carthage, ny usa
I'm not sold on the new <100hp deeres, mostly because where there made. But turn back time to the 2020, 2030, and 4020. Anyone that owned one of them probably was hooked on green. But sadly times change manufacturing farmed out overseas and the everything green must be getting ripe cause its turning orange :)

TripleR

Equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
Years ago, my Honda motorcycle broke down and when I walked a couple of miles to the first motorcycle dealer to try to get help, I was told they wouldn't let a POS Japanese bike on the property to work on, my Harley now has lots of Japanese components and the HD dealer carried Suzuki during the lean years just to be able to keep the doors open. I caught grief when I "dam*" Kraut car VW then was reminded of Pearl Harbor when I started driving Toyota and was looked at askance when I first showed up in Americas heartland with my first Kubota. I no longer get too excited about where something is made.

bandaidmd

Equipment
B2620 w/LA364 FEL ,BH65, ssqa , 1982 B8200E w/BF300FEL
May 19, 2013
Middle of DELMARVA
My uncle was at Iwo jima when they raised the flag and he always drove a Honda car, if jap products were OK by him who am I to argue.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Price was the biggest reason I went with Kubota myself. When I bought mine I was still working at the quarry and really didn't use the tractors much so I went simple and cheap. I grew up with IH and a red tractor was about 12K higher than the M9000 and I just couldn't justify the extra money for a weekend machine. I still love my botas but at this point in time I can't say my next tractor will be orange or not. The Kubota cabs just don't impress me at all. Even on the large M series the cab is bigger but it's still cramped up with controls. They need to design the cab with a sumo wrestler in mind instead of a 95 lb bean pole. I guess time will tell.

WFM

Premium Member

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
I think because I own a tractor and a straw hat I'm a farmer....lol....but as most here are land owners not farmers I'm sure 'real' farmers can see things with tractors we 'wannabee' farmers would never see. With age comes experience. I have a friend who farms. He has four green tractors for haying and farming 40 hp and up to 70 hp. All one year apart($$$), He told me he bought his first tractor at age 12 , he's 71 now. Says he knows hes on the back side of life and buys what he wants. I can say I was there once when a new tractor was being delivered. A big one, the salesman was taking the straps off, my friend said "hold on, before you go any farther the hydroilc fluid is leaking onto the trailer , take it back and fix it", the salesman did. LOL you'd never see that with Orange....:)

TripleR

Equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
Price was the biggest reason I went with Kubota myself. When I bought mine I was still working at the quarry and really didn't use the tractors much so I went simple and cheap. I grew up with IH and a red tractor was about 12K higher than the M9000 and I just couldn't justify the extra money for a weekend machine. I still love my botas but at this point in time I can't say my next tractor will be orange or not. The Kubota cabs just don't impress me at all. Even on the large M series the cab is bigger but it's still cramped up with controls. They need to design the cab with a sumo wrestler in mind instead of a 95 lb bean pole. I guess time will tell.
Have you been in one of the M60 Series cabs, they are supposed to be bigger, I haven't climbed in one as our M8540 is fine for our needs. Like many others, I don't spend long days, day after day in it like I did when I was farming.

We traded a Cases CX80 in on ours and it had a lot more room than the Kubota and a better AC when it worked. My son had a buddy seat in it, but one won't fit in the Kubota.

I do like the cabs on our renters John Deeres, but since my tractors only cost me money, not make any, I will stick with what I have and would buy another Kubota for my needs.

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
I've been looking at 50hp+ tractors to replace our old L3750. JD is on the list, but I've heard folks having lots of trouble with some of the big JD rigs especially the power reverse trans,

I'm more interested in the 5055E and the Orange MX5100 at the moment...

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Tractors are like motor cycles,, it don't mater what you ride as long AS you ride,,, same with tractors color don't matter as long as it does the job and your happy with it

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Have you been in one of the M60 Series cabs, they are supposed to be bigger, I haven't climbed in one as our M8540 is fine for our needs. Like many others, I don't spend long days, day after day in it like I did when I was farming.

We traded a Cases CX80 in on ours and it had a lot more room than the Kubota and a better AC when it worked. My son had a buddy seat in it, but one won't fit in the Kubota.

I do like the cabs on our renters John Deeres, but since my tractors only cost me money, not make any, I will stick with what I have and would buy another Kubota for my needs.
TripleR, I haven't looked at the new 60 series but I did hear they were suppose to be better than the 40 series cabs. I'm still up in the air about which way to go and really have no plans for a new tractor right at this time. Right now I could use one in the 50 hp range but thinking down the road to where I hope to be my next one may need to be 100 + hp. Vermeer makes a 14' and 18' trail type hay mower and I would really like to have one if my hay and cattle operation keep growing. I had to turn people away this year during hay season because I just couldn't get to them when they needed it done.

Then when I think about the cost of the mower and a tractor to pull it being around 100K it makes me sick. It would take several acres of hay to pay for a rig like that.

I've been looking at 50hp+ tractors to replace our old L3750. JD is on the list, but I've heard folks having lots of trouble with some of the big JD rigs especially the power reverse trans,

I'm more interested in the 5055E and the Orange MX5100 at the moment...
Bluegill, both the Deeres I used last week had the power reverser plus transmissions and niether one felt the same. The 5085 was smooth as silk and the 5105 was kind of jerky and slow compaired to the other one. Although they were very nice I have my doubts about them holding up. I don't think much of any deere under 90 hp just because they are made by Yanmar.

I will say this about the Deere tractors, 540 E or not they love the fuel. Using the same size mower I have the 5085 burned about 3 gph. My M9000 burns just over 1 gph doing the same job. That's a huge difference after a few weeks in the field. Kubota may not be the most advanced, may not have the most features but I don't think they can be beat in fuel consumption. :cool:

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I've put some seat time in on my uncles JD 990 which is a 40hp tractor with a fel and a hoe on a subframe. I have to admit it was under powered and weak for my taste. The loader would not lift the front end off the ground nor would the hoe pick the ass end up either.

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
Bluegill, both the Deeres I used last week had the power reverser plus transmissions and niether one felt the same. The 5085 was smooth as silk and the 5105 was kind of jerky and slow compaired to the other one. Although they were very nice I have my doubts about them holding up. I don't think much of any deere under 90 hp just because they are made by Yanmar.

I will say this about the Deere tractors, 540 E or not they love the fuel. Using the same size mower I have the 5085 burned about 3 gph. My M9000 burns just over 1 gph doing the same job. That's a huge difference after a few weeks in the field. Kubota may not be the most advanced, may not have the most features but I don't think they can be beat in fuel consumption. :cool:
Thanks for the info! I like the look of the 5055e and I like a basic, simple, gear tractor. But not sure I would want a 55hp 3 cyl? The more I read, the more I think I want to stay away from the newer Deere tractors.

I'll be looking hard at the MX5100. Seems like a lot of tractor for the money.