A Bit of a RANT

fluidp

Equipment
Kubota BX2680, SAME Centauro 65, Universal 650 DT Super.
Dec 30, 2017
Forest Grove, BC Canada
I have a BX2680, bought new in Jan of 18 from a dealer. I Love this little tractor. We have the loader, drive over mower, rototiller, front mount snow blower and pallet forks and we use them all. It was maybe 8-10 months old and I noticed that the coolant level was low. I checked oil, and it looked good, so I topped up coolant and called dealer and told them, They told me to monitor and if it gets low again to let them know.
So this past summer it was low again, I called them and they set up a service call as I wanted this thing fixed befor warrantee was up. So like late in July service guy comes out, does some tests and finds the block heater was leaking. So he goes away and about 4 weeks later he came back, installed new heater and all is good.....
Just today, I get a letter from dealer with a invoice saying I owe them just about $500 for the block heater and service calls as Kubota Canada said block heater is only warrantee for 1 year... Like this has me kinda wound up...... Any opinions out there please...

Saxman

Equipment
L3830 ZD21
Jun 19, 2010
Mt. Vernon, IL
The block heater was installed by the dealer when you purchased the tractor? Technically Kubota is correct as it is a Kubota approved accessory and they probably have a 1 year warranty. The dealer should step up especially since you reported the leak well in advance of the final fix. If the installation of the block heater was the cause of the leak it is another strong reason for the dealer to replace the heater to keep a happy customer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fluidp

Equipment
Dec 30, 2017
Forest Grove, BC Canada
Yes the block heater came with the tractor, whether the dealer installed it, I don't know. It was a faulty heater as coolant was leaking into the electrical plug.
From the time the service guy determined the problem, to the time they fixed it was 3-4 weeks. One would think in that amount of time they would have determined if it was covered by warrantee. If it wasn't and I was told that I would have got them to sell me the heater and I would change it myself.
For them to come to me now, nearly 3 months later and bill me is freakin retarded... I think..

Saxman

Equipment
L3830 ZD21
Jun 19, 2010
Mt. Vernon, IL
Not a good way to keep customers. Have a word with the owner, not a peon in the shop. Give them a chance to do the right thing. Document In writing the facts, dates, times, names before your sit down

fluidp

Equipment
Dec 30, 2017
Forest Grove, BC Canada
Not a good way to keep customers. Have a word with the owner, not a peon in the shop. Give them a chance to do the right thing. Document In writing the facts, dates, times, names before your sit down

Thank You, I will be seeing them tomorrow

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Email Kubota Canada with CC: to dealer.
Explain the situation, especially that it STARTED before the 1yr warranty ran out. Even then it was a KNOWN problem.
They've been good to me. BOTH front tires had sidewall blisters.The 'solution' was for me to buy new tires/rims( chepaer than tires only...hmm...) A simple email to KubCan and they gave back my $250.
I'd STILL like to buy some KENDA tires but no luck finding them up here in the great white north.

Jay

Gene Blister

Equipment
2019 Kubota B2601, FAL LA435, Snow Blower BX2822A, Land Pride rear blade RB1572
Aug 4, 2019
Cocolalla, Idaho
Yes, even with the terrific folks from whom I bought Bessie II, when it comes to who's responsible for something, I always expect and plan for the worst. Then I can only be pleasantly surprised.

Check, recheck, reconfirm and then go to the guy who signs the checks, not some staffer or hired hand, and get a clear commitment. No assumptions.

Generally they'll be surprised but ultimately respect your thoroughness and professionalism- and know that they'll be held accountable. Keeps everybody honest.

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
I have a BX2680, bought new in Jan of 18 from a dealer. I Love this little tractor. We have the loader, drive over mower, rototiller, front mount snow blower and pallet forks and we use them all. It was maybe 8-10 months old and I noticed that the coolant level was low. I checked oil, and it looked good, so I topped up coolant and called dealer and told them, They told me to monitor and if it gets low again to let them know.
So this past summer it was low again, I called them and they set up a service call as I wanted this thing fixed befor warrantee was up. So like late in July service guy comes out, does some tests and finds the block heater was leaking. So he goes away and about 4 weeks later he came back, installed new heater and all is good.....
Just today, I get a letter from dealer with a invoice saying I owe them just about $500 for the block heater and service calls as Kubota Canada said block heater is only warrantee for 1 year... Like this has me kinda wound up...... Any opinions out there please...
Most Kubota accessories, loaders, mower decks etc. have only one year warranty!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
For them to come to me now, nearly 3 months later and bill me is freakin retarded... I think..
Yea that's way over the top, and $500 parts and service call...that's insane for a block heater repair. :eek:

Saxman

Equipment
L3830 ZD21
Jun 19, 2010
Mt. Vernon, IL
I think when I bought my L3830 in 2006 a block heater was $50. The dealer installed it prior to delivery. The most time consuming part is draining the coolant and refilling. I know, I know some don’t drain it, just leave the cap on and do it fast. I know the mess I would make so I drain it on the ones I’ve done.

Kurtee

Equipment
BX2660, BX2680 cab, JD 2032R, Honda 5518, JD X590, JD X739
Oct 3, 2013
Nicollet, mn
I think when I bought my L3830 in 2006 a block heater was $50. The dealer installed it prior to delivery. The most time consuming part is draining the coolant and refilling. I know, I know some don’t drain it, just leave the cap on and do it fast. I know the mess I would make so I drain it on the ones I’ve done.

Or do it using a shop vac on the radiator neck. Tape the vac nozzle tight and run vacuum to keep antifreeze in. Remove old heater and install new one. We used this on a Cummins 855 and worked well. My brother said he did the hydraulic line on the bottom of the tank on his JD combine and did not loose fluid there either.

rlcotter

Equipment
BX23S Cab;3pt Blade;HLA Snow Pusher;BX Armour;HLA Fork;Ratchet Rake, Snow Edge
Mar 24, 2016
Ontario, Canada
That sounds like robbery to me. I bought the BX23S in April 2019 and had the dealer add the block heater before delivery. They charged $100.00 CAD installed.

Good luck sorting this out. Hopefully, the dealer comes to his senses or Kubota Canada comes to the table.

Les.

motorhead

Equipment
2009 B3200, 2007 Dodge/Cummins powered Ram 2500 395hp
May 17, 2012
Atascadero
You reported a problem BEFORE the year was up. It should be covered.
I bought new a 2001 Dodge diesel pickup. About 6 months before the warranty was up. I was getting a cracking noise in the rear driveline. Of course They couldn't hear it. I reported it was still making noise again before my warranty was up. I was 3 months out of warranty and the driveline really got noisy. I PERSONALLY showed the service manager the noise. They replaced a $265.00 driveline for free BECAUSE I reported it BEFORE the warranty was expired.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
You need to talk to your dealer and remind him that you reported the problem and to whom it was reported within the first year. Warranty does not cover service calls or transportation. That is the customer's responsibility so the dealer is going to charge for the 2 service calls.

Depending on how far the tech had to travel for the two service calls would make a huge difference in the billing amount. Also the cost of the new heater and coolant that was added. Your heater should be a screw in so R&R time would be minimal.

The dealer is selling the Techs time whether it is on an aged $5,000 B, BX or an $80,000 SVL. One hour is $xxx.

Again, talk to the dealer.