A 2601 Will Plow

cuboodle

Equipment
B2601
May 9, 2023
PA
I cut down an old Dearborn plow from a 2 bottom to a single bottom, turn over new ground for some gardens in the spring worked better than I thought.

Attachments

Reactions: 6 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
nice, though it doesn't surprise me. If you have the correct tire and the plow adjusted properly any 26HP tractor can pull a single bottom. Heck I have a 10HP and a 9HP tractor that'll do that.

Steve67

Equipment
B2601-fel, 60"mmm, 5' rear blade, balast box
Jan 20, 2017
St. Louis, mo.
Nice modification on exsiting equipment. Glad it worked out for you. I also have a single plow that works great on my b2601

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
nice, though it doesn't surprise me. If you have the correct tire and the plow adjusted properly any 26HP tractor can pull a single bottom. Heck I have a 10HP and a 9HP tractor that'll do that.
My 72 year old, 23HP, 8N, will pull a 2 bottom plow, depending on soil type.

Reactions: 1 user

Foxrunfarms

Equipment
Kubota LX2610, 1951 Farmall M, 1967 John Deere 110 Rf, 2010 Arctic Cat 700
Apr 25, 2023
WI
Most antique tractors are under 20 hp and can pull 2 bottom plows.
Screenshot_20221011_090507.jpg

20230427_191631~2.jpg

But you have the weight, tires, and torque of a bigger tractor.
I hooked up a small 6ft 9 shank feild cultivator to my lx2610..........it pulled it decently in low and 4x4 but you could feel it wasn't a " real tractor"
original_714e4f6c-c00d-4462-826b-5604c333dbfc_20230610_104740.jpg

will721

Equipment
LX2610, Ford 2n, Ferguson TO20
Jun 6, 2023
Quad Cities Area
Most antique tractors are under 20 hp and can pull 2 bottom plows.
View attachment 112680
View attachment 112681
But you have the weight, tires, and torque of a bigger tractor.
I hooked up a small 6ft 9 shank feild cultivator to my lx2610..........it pulled it decently in low and 4x4 but you could feel it wasn't a " real tractor"
View attachment 112683

I know exactly what you mean. Imagine my surprise how much better my old Ford pulled a blade vs my LX. Even though the Ford is the same size, 2wd, and has less hp.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Seems kind of odd but I know our old Farmall H in second gear will pull a pair of 16” moldboards through blue clay and yellow clay, both of which are like plowing Play-Doh when wet and more like a half baked brick when dry. In good dirt it will do it in third. But I also know it was designed to do that. It wasn’t really designed to be a utility tractor so it kind of isn’t great at loader work or doing much of anything on slopes.

I haven’t plowed anything with the L. I know on a dead pull with a chain on a large object that really ain’t interested in moving the L, on reasonably solid ground, will pull a good bit more than the H. But I also know that the L is not really designed with a main focus on tillage duties. It’s a MUCH more useful tractor for what I do with it now.

Next spring we’re likely to add a few acres of fields to our current place and I know I’ll have to at least disc it and probably plow it as a first step to flattening it out and planting grass (or something) there. It was hilled up in rows to plant tobacco but left that way about three years ago when it was sold to a developer just before planting so now it’s a super washboarded mess of weeds and saplings. I’m really not all that confident the L with its R4’s will pull the two share 16” plow buried in the back of the shed instead of just spinning out in fluffy field dirt/slick clay.

If it won’t, I guess I still have the H. Kind of like my old self, if it doesn’t break it, might do it some good to work up a decent sweat. Heck, I might just use the H anyway. 🤷‍♂️

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
I’m really not all that confident the L with its R4’s will pull the two share 16” plow buried in the back of the shed instead of just spinning out in fluffy field dirt/slick clay.
I use a 2x14 on my L and was running R4s in similar clay. It works ok, I am curious to see what difference it makes since I swapped to R1s. Plan is to go pick up the old Ford that goes with the plow though this spring (and hopefully another tractor from my grandparents farm)

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
I use a 2x14 on my L and was running R4s in similar clay. It works ok, I am curious to see what difference it makes since I swapped to R1s. Plan is to go pick up the old Ford that goes with the plow though this spring (and hopefully another tractor from my grandparents farm)
R1’s flex a good bit more than R4’s so generally speaking they put more bars in contact with the ground (which is actually a big deal to the point ag tire manufacturers use it in marketing) and they self clean at low speed better than R4’s. If running on hard, dry, well compacted dirt you may not see a huge difference. I strongly suspect you’ll see a significant improvement in traction in tillage applications.

Hopefully you’ll post a comparison after you put them to the test.

Foxrunfarms

Equipment
Kubota LX2610, 1951 Farmall M, 1967 John Deere 110 Rf, 2010 Arctic Cat 700
Apr 25, 2023
WI
Seems kind of odd but I know our old Farmall H in second gear will pull a pair of 16” moldboards through blue clay and yellow clay, both of which are like plowing Play-Doh when wet and more like a half baked brick when dry. In good dirt it will do it in third. But I also know it was designed to do that. It wasn’t really designed to be a utility tractor so it kind of isn’t great at loader work or doing much of anything on slopes.

I haven’t plowed anything with the L. I know on a dead pull with a chain on a large object that really ain’t interested in moving the L, on reasonably solid ground, will pull a good bit more than the H. But I also know that the L is not really designed with a main focus on tillage duties. It’s a MUCH more useful tractor for what I do with it now.

Next spring we’re likely to add a few acres of fields to our current place and I know I’ll have to at least disc it and probably plow it as a first step to flattening it out and planting grass (or something) there. It was hilled up in rows to plant tobacco but left that way about three years ago when it was sold to a developer just before planting so now it’s a super washboarded mess of weeds and saplings. I’m really not all that confident the L with its R4’s will pull the two share 16” plow buried in the back of the shed instead of just spinning out in fluffy field dirt/slick clay.

If it won’t, I guess I still have the H. Kind of like my old self, if it doesn’t break it, might do it some good to work up a decent sweat. Heck, I might just use the H anyway. 🤷‍♂️
I usually plowed in high 2nd with my John deere b. A few spots I can go in 3rd. The furrows really get tossed over and look nice but in other spots the b bogs down so just stay in 2nd. I recently sold the B for a Farmall M and will be upgrading plows.

I'll be honest I'm not a fan of compacts from growing up on a dairy farm being around full size equipment. When looking at something to plow our 200 yard horse shoe driveway I wanted a full size loader tractor from the 70's or 80's.........bigger the tractor the faster the task should get done and you have the power if you need it. The wife wanted something new and dependable and multi purpose. The lx2610, farmall m, vintage garden tractor and the atv all have their spot and tasks on my little hobby farm. I'll never have a loader or mower on the M, but I won't moldboard plow the Kubota either. The size of the lx2610 is nice it gets into tight areas vs the m, and depending on how my body feels if the task can be safely be done within either tractors limits I see myself grabbing the Kubota more for the comfort and easy on and off. It's more fun using the M though and good for her to stretch her legs to get everything Lubed up and moving.
20230520_121700~2.jpg

20230907_184234~2.jpg
I
20200509_161818.jpg

Reactions: 1 users