98 L35 no crank no start

98Kubota L35

Equipment
1998 Kubota L35
Mar 6, 2024
Lakeville
I have a 1998 kubota L35 that is no crank no start. When I hook up the battery I get lights on the dash but when I turn the key absolutely nothing happens. The only thing that happened that could have caused any issues was my dad said that he left the lights on after using it to plow the driveway.

What I have done:
-Replaced the slow blow fuse
-Tested the battery
-Cleaned the negative terminal ground
-Checked all other fuses
-Bench tested the starter

No fuses were blown, the battery tested weak but held a charge, and the started worked. Prior to testing any of these things, I could get it to fire up here and there and even when I got it running, I would run it for almost 2 hours to let the battery charge up and the second I turned the tractor off it would be no crank no start again. Now it hasn't started in almost 2 months so I am stumped on what to do next. This tractor worked perfectly fine for 15+ years with no issues other than a couple of blown hydraulic lines.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

kubotafreak

Equipment
GRAND l6060, L3560, B6100, gr2100, tg 1860, g1800, g1900, g2160
Sep 20, 2018
Arkansas, US
With safety in mind, (park brake, neutral implements on ground) I would manually engage the starter solenoid (long wire) with key on. If the engine starts, then you can isolate it to the key/starter circuit. If it does not, then you may have a safety switch( seat, pedals, pto) keeping it from cranking. Outside of this you may have an actual computer issue...

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
The L35 starter circuit is about as straightforward as it gets. The only two safety interlocks are shuttle neutral and PTO neutral.

6 is the starter relay. It should have 12+ volts on one side of the contact at all times and 12+ volts on the wire from the safety switch when the key is turned to start.

Do you hear a click behind the instrument panel when you turn the key to start? If not, check your shuttle and PTO levers.

Screenshot_20230802-132152-464.png

Screenshot_20230802-131724-575.png

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Like PoTreeBoy said, a couple of safety switches or starter relay are about it on that model.
A test light and a couple min of testing and you should be good to go!

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I have a 1998 kubota L35 that is no crank no start. When I hook up the battery I get lights on the dash but when I turn the key absolutely nothing happens. The only thing that happened that could have caused any issues was my dad said that he left the lights on after using it to plow the driveway.

What I have done:
-Replaced the slow blow fuse
-Tested the battery
-Cleaned the negative terminal ground
-Checked all other fuses
-Bench tested the starter

No fuses were blown, the battery tested weak but held a charge, and the started worked. Prior to testing any of these things, I could get it to fire up here and there and even when I got it running, I would run it for almost 2 hours to let the battery charge up and the second I turned the tractor off it would be no crank no start again. Now it hasn't started in almost 2 months so I am stumped on what to do next. This tractor worked perfectly fine for 15+ years with no issues other than a couple of blown hydraulic lines.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
"the battery tested weak but held a charge"
Check/clean BOTH ends of the battery ground cable!
Check CAREFULLY for corrosion inside the 15 year old battery cables.

" almost 2 hours to let the battery charge up"
"tested the battery"
"Load tested" .....with a battery LOAD tester?....... not with a VOM.
Put a 12V battery charger on the battery....charge overnight!

Go to Wallymart!
Buy a new battery!

Last edited:

L35

Equipment
L35/TL720/BT900/York rake/Valby chipper
Jun 13, 2010
CT
I have to hold my pto lever to the left with my foot when I turn the key. The safety switch is just out of adjustment. I decided not to fix it. At one time the shift lever did the same, I’d have to fiddle with it while turning the key. That one I fixed..