'95 L3300 GST Won't Move Any Gear

Shifted_04

Equipment
Researching for L series. Own: MF 275, Ferguson TO-35, Alamo SHD-88 Flail mower
Oct 24, 2022
Tunkhannock, PA
Looking at purchasing a 1995 L3300 GST that the current owner says won't move in any gear and that it feels like it is slipping.

I already verified that it the PTO shaft turns when the clutch pedal is released. The PTO shaft turns so know it is not the mechanical clutch.

I am also aware the hydraulic GST clutch pack was a weak point on this model/year.

Been reading a lot of threads on here trying to see what the worse case scenario might be. He is asking $6500 with 1,171 hours.

I am automotive instructor by trade so not concerned with testing hydraulic pressures, electrical or splitting the tractor, just trying to educate myself more about the process before diving $6500 + with parts deep.

emac

Equipment
L3600, ZD1211, ZG20
Sep 13, 2021
SC
I am probably behind the curve on inflation with tractor prices, but $6500 seems steep for a non running tractor. As an owner of an older tractor, fixing worn out stuff will eat up money fast. Hydraulic hoses are crazy expensive now, and Kubota parts can vary from reasonable to downright crazy in price. Radiator $750. One tie rod $320. Paid $50 the other day for one short hydraulic hose. I do all my own work and it is still expensive! You may want to go to a site like Messicks or Coleman equip and scroll through their parts diagrams to get an idea of how much parts may be to fix the GST. I am non GST, so I dont have any thoughts on it.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
On purchasing anything, tractors cars antiques whatever. You kinda know it's value running/working. When it's not runnin/working, if you know why you can deduct the estimated cost to fix from what it would be worth working/running. If you don't know why, it's a gamble.

It could be GST clutch pack, valve body, shifter issues, clutch, transmission/gear/shaft related, differential related and a few other things.

So ideally you'd want to KNOW what's wrong with it beforehand. It's not terribly hard to put a lot of money into one of these things, and I've seen people put way more into them than what they cost brand new.

In other words, it might be a $20 fix, or it might be a $5000 fix. Don't know until you check it out. GST's in this area, don't bring a lot of money on the market. My brother bought his L3600 with loader, backhoe, 6' shredder, box blade, rock rake, 18' trailer with 4 brand new tires and a steel bed, for $7500 cash. That was 2 1/2 years ago I think. Also GST. Runs/drives fine; actually in very good condition.

Reactions: 1 user