900X Trans fluid

Glenn S

Equipment
RTVX900, NH Boomer 50, Cub Cadet TRS, JD 350C, IH 584 and attachments
Oct 20, 2018
Alberta
I have a 2017 900X with 340 hrs. I changed all fluids/ filters at 60 hrs, and filled with premium synthetic hyd fluid for max protection at low temps (-40). I have used this oil in other applications for years and it has been great. We don't use it when it's cold but I wanted the protection in the event that we may have to have had a cold start for some reason. The oil supplier advertises extended drain intervals, recommended changes at 600 hrs. I believe that the manual says filter at 200 and fluid change at 400 hrs.

The hyd fluid condition was good, it was a bit darker but that was it.

However, the fluid out of transmission was very dark and seemed to a silver tint to it with I am assuming are metal cuttings. The magnetic drain plug was cover with fine cuttings almost like pollen on a flower.

Did anyone else have a similar experience when they drained trans oil? Is this something to be concerned about? I definitely will change the trans oil and filter more often going forward.

Thanks to all who respond.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
yeah

cut the filter(s) open and see if there is any metal inside. If there is, and it's excessive, plan on a rebuild at some point-start saving your pennies now.

Are you using super udt2?

Glenn S

Equipment
Oct 20, 2018
Alberta
yeah

cut the filter(s) open and see if there is any metal inside. If there is, and it's excessive, plan on a rebuild at some point-start saving your pennies now.

I am using Petro Can Full Synthetic. I have used it in other Hydro's and powershift trans for years, the real benefit is that it flows down to -40F and still is good to 100F.
I would not want to do an emergency start when it's really cold. I use 0/40 engine oil as well for that reason.

Glenn S

Equipment
Oct 20, 2018
Alberta
yeah

I am using Petro Can Full Synthetic. I have used it in other Hydro's and powershift trans for years, the real benefit is that it flows down to -40F and still is good to 100F.
I would not want to do an emergency start when it's really cold. I use 0/40 engine oil as well for that reason.
yeah

I cut the filter and it has dust size black flakes, they are metal, the magnet picked them up. All tols
yeah

[/QUOTE
There are black dust size flakes, they are metal. No bright specs. The amount in the filter is on magnet. Any ideas?

Attachments