84 L355SS for $7k is it worth it?

alarratt

Equipment
None Yet
Oct 26, 2022
FL
Hey all, looking to get my first tractor for my property. I have 6 acres and will be doing a decent amount of dirt work, but mostly need something to help with yard work (trimming trees, hauling feed, etc.) Initially, I was hoping for something in the 45 HP range, but just don't have the budget for that yet, and found a L355SS w/ rear discharge finish mower (72"), boxblade, and rake.

Ran my father's L3130 around for a bit, and it did everything I needed it to outside of lifting the heaviest of logs, so I am wondering if I will be repairing this 355 more than I use it due to design flaws, or if I'll be kicking myself for passing on it.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Hey all, looking to get my first tractor for my property. I have 6 acres and will be doing a decent amount of dirt work, but mostly need something to help with yard work (trimming trees, hauling feed, etc.) Initially, I was hoping for something in the 45 HP range, but just don't have the budget for that yet, and found a L355SS w/ rear discharge finish mower (72"), boxblade, and rake.

Ran my father's L3130 around for a bit, and it did everything I needed it to outside of lifting the heaviest of logs, so I am wondering if I will be repairing this 355 more than I use it due to design flaws, or if I'll be kicking myself for passing on it.
No loader? You WILL want one and adding one is nearly impossible.

That could also easily be a 3000 hour machine. Repairs likely - yes. Because of design flaws - no - because of high hours and hard use.

I appreciate the budget issues but speaking from similar experience find a way to get something newer with lower hours and a loader. That's your base and you build from there.

Forget the imolements. Use that implement money to get a better base. Used three point implements are a dime a dozen and can be added over time as budget allows.

Dan

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
No loader? You WILL want one and adding one is nearly impossible.

That could also easily be a 3000 hour machine. Repairs likely - yes. Because of design flaws - no - because of high hours and hard use.

I appreciate the budget issues but speaking from similar experience find a way to get something newer with lower hours and a loader. That's your base and you build from there.

Forget the imolements. Use that implement money to get a better base. Used three point implements are a dime a dozen and can be added over time as budget allows.

Dan
+++++++ 1000%

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I'd be looking for a HST transmission. Doing dirt work with a transmission you have to clutch and shift is like having a black and white after having color!

That L is a nice machine, but it's days are in the past. Probably not going to require much in service if it's been treated/serviced properly, but you won't find a shop you can take it to that know much about them. You become the head mechanic!! You get to research, find and install parts.

A tractor without a loader is like a girlfriend without teeth!! ;) ;)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

alarratt

Equipment
None Yet
Oct 26, 2022
FL
Forgot to mention it DOES have a loader as well. That much is necessary. QA would be nice, but I can make do.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I'm not as scared of high hours as others. Kubotas are reasonably durable. Look for signs of poor maintenance and things that are already broken when you buy it - those are a problem. Yes, an old machine will need fixing. But only when you break it, if you're reasonable careful with it then it's not likely to break that much. And you're not using it to make a living, given the choice between no tractor and one that occasionally breaks, I know which I'd pick.

It does mean you'll be fixing it yourself (if you don't want to spend a lot of money). If that's not something you can learn to do, then perhaps a newer machine would be better.