8 speed PTO

jc64

Jun 23, 2012
Oregon
8 speed PTO?

New guy to this forum. I just recently bought a L1501-DT w/FEL and tiller. It seems to be a good tractor so far. I am very familiar with this model Kubota, my Dad bought a L185 back in 1982 and I spent many, many hours on it, then he gave it to me 10 years ago when they moved. I sold it about 4 years ago because we moved across country for new jobs. (Yes, it was sad to see the old Kubota and the 1966 Ford 3000 diesel leave on the trailer the day I sold them)

Anyways, this 1501 I have has a 8 speed PTO on it (see pic). What I am wondering is, 1) what gear (1-H or 1-L) gives me 540rpm's out the back? I searched and came up with nothing on the 8 speed PTO. If any one has the ratios for all 8 gears, that would be great. Also, I did notice that some were claiming that 2800rpm's give 540, but on the teach it points (PTO-540¬) to 2600rpm's. 2) Is are the RPM's different for the bigger tractors? The way I read mine is 2800rpm's is red line.

jc

Attachments

Last edited:

jc64

Jun 23, 2012
Oregon
As seen in pic, the lever with the red cap on the left hand side of the seat is the high/low range for the transmission. What is the other high/low lever for? As far as I can tell, it is for the PTO. :confused:

jc

Attachments

jc64

Jun 23, 2012
Oregon
OK, so I went out to the tractor to figure this out, which I should have done before I started this thread and look like a fool.

Eric, you are correct and incorrect. You are correct that it has a 4 speed PTO, I was baffled why a tractor needed a 8 speed PTO. What the lever does, is gives a high/low range for the other high/low range lever. In essence it is a 16 speed transmission.

Thanks,
jc

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Well that is a grey market Kubota that has been sold here in the U.S. I was giving you info based off a North American model with the 8 speed transmissions we have here.

jc64

Jun 23, 2012
Oregon
Bronco, I remember seeing that thread when I was researching this tractor. Just slipped my mind. (Were is the smiley of the dude hitting himself over the head with a hammer? :D)

Eric, thanks for helping. The old L185 I had was the 4 speed with high/low and 3 speed PTO. The lever being right next to the PTO shifter threw me off.

Thanks again,
jc