72" belly deck blades

dmoore

Equipment
2006 B7800, RC72-BA 72" mid mount mower, RB 1672 72" rear blade
Feb 8, 2010
Exmore,Virginia
So I've noticed my RC72-27BA belly mower on my 2006 B7800 is leaving a few stick ups as of late causing me to cut twice. Blades are correct Kubota and are 1 year old. Is there a high lift blade available or is what I have the only blades available? See if I can find the part number.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Blades a year old. What kind of shape are they in? Some of the grasses around here, they get tall quick, like 3 foot in a week's time. That kind of stuff you just have to slow down over. I've had many mowers and many different kinds of blades over the years and none of them do great on that stuff. Just have to go over the big stickups twice. And in the fall, hit em with the liquid weed-eater.

johndeerebones

Equipment
B7200 HST-D RC-60-72, L4200 GST MFWD with FEL
Aug 17, 2020
USA
Can you sharpen them? Unless you are commercial mowing I doubt you already need new ones. Grass buildup needing scraped effects cut quality bigtime on these. i use a B7200 HST (17 PTO rated) and a 60". Dual speed PTO? Mid mowers ALWAYS run the faster speed. I think it's 2465 RPM. I also run low if the yards gotten tall. Also cut in thirds if possible. (third of height in one pass) if possible. No deck made from any OEM is made to deal with lots of grass. I've used several OEMs mowers, I have favorites for cut quality. Another post... Suffice to say none like tall grass or buildup. Not only all that, but are you mowing dirt? Tall grass 3"+ is easier on your mower and your grass. Tall cut encourages grass and discourages weeds. Plus out of control weeds are tall. Out of control grass is shorter. For the green above ground the roots are atleast that long below ground, better drought resistance.

Last edited:

dan_m

Equipment
BX2380
Jul 9, 2020
Georgia
Is it wet? I have experienced that on thick clumps in fields or where it's too tall. I've never experienced anything like that in my yard. If it's not these, sounds like the blades are not the correct sharpness or are spinning too slow for the amount of grass being cut.

On a side note, I have an all american sharpner that i have had for a while and use it to sharpen all of my blades and I highly recommend it.

Dan

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
When have you changed the belt? And checked the pulleys? If you're cutting heavy grass, worn belt or pulley can allow the blade speed to drop.