60" vs 54" bucket for B2601?

Mossy dell

Equipment
B2601 (2021) JD970 (1998) B2100 (1991) B6100E (1988)
Jul 20, 2020
sw VA
Sorry if this thread duplicates but I searched and could not find much. Anyway, I am finalizing my purchase and had specified the 54" bucket but the salesman told me he has the 60" in stock and usually sells it.

The reason I'd picked the 54" initially was because Kubota calls the 60" a "light materials" bucket. I feared it wouldn't stand up to any dirt work or gravel carrying. But the salesman indicated it is not more lightly built. We speculated that Kubota uses that designation because, being bigger, it can be more easily overloaded.

Now, 90% of my anticipated use for this bucket is scooping mulch. Definitely light materials. However, I surely will do some carrying of gravel. And digging and moving of soil after ripping up with my box blade.

I'd appreciate any advice. I know the 60" would be better for the mulch and ma just not sure if it holds up as well as the 54" for more solid materials.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
The mulch and gravel isn't an issue. It is the digging that has provide us challenges. I ended putting a toothbar on my 72" bucket and that gives a strong solid edge to cut into the dirt.

Reactions: 2 users

Mossy dell

Equipment
Jul 20, 2020
sw VA
Thanks, Bmyers. I do plan to add a tooth bar anyway. May not be strictly needed for mulch but I think it will help even for that plus when moving hard packed dirt, let alone any digging.

From your experience, it sounds like the 54" would be good only if digging is my major use?

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Thanks, Bmyers. I do plan to add a tooth bar anyway. May not be strictly needed for mulch but I think it will help even for that plus when moving hard packed dirt, let alone any digging.

From your experience, it sounds like the 54" would be good only if digging is my major use?
I will have to pass the 54" question on to someone with experience with that bucket, because I don't want to mislead you.

All I can tell you is the experience I have had with my 72" light material bucket. I had no issues with moving gravel or sand pile. In the dry summer time, i struggled with getting good loads of dirt dug up. Added the toothbar and that took care of that issue.

Unless you are like my dad and run your tractor bucket into a buried concrete post going way faster than he should of been, I believe the 60" light material bucket will be fin for you. (In all fairness, the bucket had been damaged before by my grandpa on more than one occasion and straightened back out.)

Resized_20191019_092258.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I had the same choice with the B2650. I went with the 60" and suggest the same to most all others considering the same option. Both buckets are of the same construction.

You can simply choose to not fill the 60" to max if you have trouble scooping heavy materials, but you'll appreciate the added capacity for any lighter material moving.

The only downside is if you are severely restricted in maneuvering thru tight spaces. It would also appear than many on this forum choose to add wheel spacers to their tractors. Doings so negates the advantage of having a slightly smaller bucket.

Reactions: 1 user

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I will have to pass the 54" question on to someone with experience with that bucket, because I don't want to mislead you.

All I can tell you is the experience I have had with my 72" light material bucket. I had no issues with moving gravel or sand pile. In the dry summer time, i struggled with getting good loads of dirt dug up. Added the toothbar and that took care of that issue.

Unless you are like my dad and run your tractor bucket into a buried concrete post going way faster than he should of been, I believe the 60" light material bucket will be fin for you. (In all fairness, the bucket had been damaged before by my grandpa on more than one occasion and straightened back out.)

View attachment 51951
Now that is quite a smile....holy cow!

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Now that is quite a smile....holy cow!
He ended up buying a new bucket, after 30 years of abuse on the old bucket, it just wasn't worth fixing any more.

He did keep the old bucket, works great for making trenches. :D

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
He ended up buying a new bucket, after 30 years of abuse on the old bucket, it just wasn't worth fixing any more.

He did keep the old bucket, works great for making trenches. :D
yeah, sure looks like a rather large trenching bucket.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Was going to say it looked like a very optimistic stump bucket.

thebicman

Equipment
B2601 + BX2755HD + 50" box blade
Feb 2, 2017
Ottawa, ontario
Getting off topic but have to comment on that bucket. WOW. That would make a perfect bucket for making and pouring cement.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
another good reason to get yourself a strong toothbar....

rAzkid

Equipment
BX2200D, LX3310, FEL, MMM, PF, rear mount snowblower
Nov 6, 2020
MA
I had the same question when buying my LX3310 and the salesman told me the same thing, they are made just the same but being bigger, it can be more easily overloaded. I went with the 60" bucket for the same price as the 54".

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
One more time...

Kubota offers 2 distinctly different buckets in various widths.

A light gauge material bucket and a heavier gage reinforced excavation bucket and I happen to have both and there is a very discernable difference in the 2.

The most obvious is the light gage bucket will have a formed top (same gage as the side and back sheets) while the excavation bucket will have a welded tubular heavy gage top piece.

Not so obvious is the below the bucket floor rectangular gussets and a double floor.

If you plan on doing any dirt work, I'd always get the heavier (optional) bucket.

I have one of the light gage buckets in the shop right now and it's needs extensive work because the owner tried unsuccessfully to pick up some broken concrete and bent the side sheets that now have to be replaced. He also screwed up the cutting edge. I don't mind cutting and welding on new components, it all pays the same for me.

I get to see the damage regularly and believe me, the excavation buckets are basically indestructible and would be my ONLY choice.

My third light duty bucket repair this year. Never repaired an excavation bucket.

In my view, adding a tooth bar to the light gage bucket, just accelerates the end because it gives you an excuse to abuse it even more. My customer had one on the bucket I have in the shop. I took it off and gave it to him and told him to sell it. Not gonna add the mounting holes in the new side sheets either. Should have taken the Plasma and cut it up and gave it to him in small pieces.

it's your deal, not mine, just be prepared for a wonky bucket when you exceed the design capabilities....and you will.

Kind of like Kubota 3 point backhoes and dragging the tractor around with the bucket and leaving the stabilizer legs extended. You might not screw it up the first time and you may get away with it a few times but at some point you will either bend a led or crack a transmission case, it's in the cards.

Guy down the road did that with his Grand L 5030. Cost him 17 grand to repair a few years ago.

je1279

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 w/ 60" MMM, LP 72" Snow Plow, EA Wicked 55" Grapple, and Woods 60" BB
Dec 6, 2020
Upstate NY
I had the same question when buying my LX3310 and the salesman told me the same thing, they are made just the same but being bigger, it can be more easily overloaded. I went with the 60" bucket for the same price as the 54".
I'm of the opinion that the 60" bucket will be more useful for what I will use it for (moving gravel, dirt, snow, mulch, etc.). For anything other than basic grading, I would rent a machine that is designed to do that kind of work. Just my opinion however.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I initially ordered a 60” for my B2910, but then changed to a 54”. Just slightly wider than my tires.

Never regretted it. Did buy a heavy duty tooth bar and reinforced the top lip with angle for welding on chain hooks.

Still last year managed somehow to bend one of the sides. Reinforced them with flat bar. Now heavy duty I guess.

I do not deal with anything lighter than dirt for the most part. If I did I suppose a 60 inch bucket would be preferable.

Mossy dell, it sounds like the 60” will best suit your needs...

Mossy dell

Equipment
Jul 20, 2020
sw VA
Great info here, Flip. I wonder though if everyone is talking apples and oranges here, so to speak. Is it possible that in the smaller tractors, Kubota's buckets are built the same? But in bigger tractors, given their greater horsepower and capabilities, the smaller dirtwork buckets are really beefed up to withstand the stress?

Granted, I am just guessing based on all the responses. Also, it sounds like smaller buckets for the B series SHOULD be heavier.

One more time...

A light gauge material bucket and a heavier gage reinforced excavation bucket and I happen to have both and there is a very discernable difference in the 2.

The most obvious is the light gage bucket will have a formed top (same gage as the side and back sheets) while the excavation bucket will have a welded tubular heavy gage top piece.

Not so obvious is the below the bucket floor rectangular gussets and a double floor.

If you plan on doing any dirt work, I'd always get the heavier (optional) bucket.

I have one of the light gage buckets in the shop right now and it's needs extensive work because the owner tried unsuccessfully to pick up some broken concrete and bent the side sheets that now have to be replaced. He also screwed up the cutting edge. I don't mind cutting and welding on new components, it all pays the same for me.

I get to see the damage regularly and believe me, the excavation buckets are basically indestructible and would be my ONLY choice.

My third light duty bucket repair this year. Never repaired an excavation bucket.

In my view, adding a tooth bar to the light gage bucket, just accelerates the end because it gives you an excuse to abuse it even more. My customer had one on the bucket I have in the shop. I took it off and gave it to him and told him to sell it. Not gonna add the mounting holes in the new side sheets either. Should have taken the Plasma and cut it up and gave it to him in small pieces.

it's your deal, not mine, just be prepared for a wonky bucket when you exceed the design capabilities....and you will.

Kind of like Kubota 3 point backhoes and dragging the tractor around with the bucket and leaving the stabilizer legs extended. You might not screw it up the first time and you may get away with it a few times but at some point you will either bend a led or crack a transmission case, it's in the cards.

Guy down the road did that with his Grand L 5030. Cost him 17 grand to repair a few years ago.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: Now, 90% of my anticipated use for this bucket is scooping mulch.

so buy the 60" light duty bucket....
for the other 10% of the time, the 'heavy' loads, do 2 scoops instead of 1....... It probably won't be a lot of extra seattime....

like you MOST of my buckets deal with mulch,loose dirt, etc. though I've hauled a lot of rocks in 2 years...zero damage to the bucket. I also made my own 'pirhanna bar' and beat the **** out of it yet the bucket is still 100%.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Great info here, Flip. I wonder though if everyone is talking apples and oranges here, so to speak. Is it possible that in the smaller tractors, Kubota's buckets are built the same?
That would be affirmative. Flip has his opinion which is likely correct for larger tractors, however, it does not apply to what you are looking at.

If you wanted something heavy duty in a 54", then look for a third party option. My guess is that you don't need one. Just get the 60" from your dealer.

rAzkid

Equipment
BX2200D, LX3310, FEL, MMM, PF, rear mount snowblower
Nov 6, 2020
MA
One more time...

I took your response and showed it to the dealer and he said you were absolutely wrong and that the buckets are made of the same gauge steel in both versions and the 60" is only rated as light duty because it is possible for you to overload the lift capacity of the loader with a full bucket. Just sayin.....😀