60” tiller on LX2610

Warrior67

Sep 22, 2019
Ohio
I’m looking to buy a tiller soon And have a question. Is anyone running a 60” tiller on their LX2610?
I want to go with a 60” tiller to cover tire tracks but I’m at the low end of the horsepower range.
The tiller I’m looking at purchasing is a Woods RT60.40. Any feedback will be appreciated.

S-G-R

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310, LA535, rear remotes, third function, R14's
Jun 17, 2020
PEI Canada
I have a friend running a Kuhn 60-64" tiller on his B2650 without any issues. I run a 66" on my LX3310 and the key is to just take your time and let the tiller do the work.

Reactions: 3 users

Donystoy

Equipment
LX2610HSDCC, B/H, Loader, plus numerous other attachments. B7200 sold
Dec 10, 2013
Binbrook, Ontario
All depends on the type of soil you have. I ran a 48" tiller behind my B7200 HST. Earth around here is mostly clay which has to be broken up first. Otherwise, the tiller just bounces around on top of the turf. I will probably still use the same tiller on my LX2610 but will go over the soil after with my spike harrow to erase the tire tracks. Some tillers available come in a 55" width.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
If used on previously tilled soil it may work 'ok' but on virgin ground it'd be a 'challenge'
I've run a 60" tiller on my 35HP tractors and it's a 'handful' using it as a sod buster.
Soil conditions play a huge role in what a tiller can and cannot do. Having HST would be real nice, to dial in a perfect ground speed.
I use the tire track become the path. Weeds don't grow and easy access to center of crops.

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 user

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I’m looking to buy a tiller soon And have a question. Is anyone running a 60” tiller on their LX2610?
I want to go with a 60” tiller to cover tire tracks but I’m at the low end of the horsepower range.
The tiller I’m looking at purchasing is a Woods RT60.40. Any feedback will be appreciated.
On a B size machine, a 58” is not an issue. I would think if you go with a 60”, worst case is plan to make an extra pass (I think until you know what is under the turf slow and shallow is best initially) when first break ground and after that adjust your speed accordingly. Personally I prefer a reverse rotation…they dig in and and if you take your time they will leave a nice seedbed. Good luck.

cthomas

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 HSDC
Jan 1, 2017
La Farge Wi
I have a LX2610 HSDC and I run a RTA1258 tiller. I feel it handles it just fine. Central WIsconsin black dirt and I have used it on the corn field and have used it on virgin ground. It covers the R14 tires with 2 inch spacers just barely.

Reactions: 1 users

Warrior67

Sep 22, 2019
Ohio
The ground I will be tilling was a garden at one time. It’s been lawn for the last 15 years but, we’re opening it back up to use as a garden. Not many rocks and decent soil, not too much clay.
I‘m thinking I’ll break the sod with a ripper then, start tilling.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
if possible
1) run subsoiler through it, wait 2 days
2) run plow through it, wait 2 days
3) run cultivators through, wait a day
3) run discs through it, wait 2 days
4) now rototill

well established lawn can be quite tough to breakup and you can beat a tiller to death trying to 'cheat'
can it be done, yes, but it's HARD on the equipment so anything you can do to breakup the lawn before you till makes it a lot easier on the tiller.

if you just have a ripper, go N-S AND E-W several times, the goal is to breakdown the clods of sod.
also start building up a BIG compost pile..you NEED to give back to the Earth, what you take.

• Dislike

forky

Equipment
L2501 HST 4X4 8N
Feb 23, 2021
Wisconsin
The ground I will be tilling was a garden at one time. It’s been lawn for the last 15 years but, we’re opening it back up to use as a garden. Not many rocks and decent soil, not too much clay.
That is the key to making the tilling job easy peasy!

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
In addition to members above, I also ran RTA1258 in ground so compacted it was bending metal stakes as we hammered them in, this was behind a B2601 (same PTO HP) and it did an amazing job. 100% fully capable.

Reactions: 2 users

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
I run a 60" rototiller on my L2501 without any issue at all. I am in florida though with fairly sandy soil though, so it hardly breaks a sweat. I don't think you will have any issue.

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
if possible
1) run subsoiler through it, wait 2 days
2) run plow through it, wait 2 days
3) run cultivators through, wait a day
3) run discs through it, wait 2 days
4) now rototill

well established lawn can be quite tough to breakup and you can beat a tiller to death trying to 'cheat'
can it be done, yes, but it's HARD on the equipment so anything you can do to breakup the lawn before you till makes it a lot easier on the tiller.

if you just have a ripper, go N-S AND E-W several times, the goal is to breakdown the clods of sod.
also start building up a BIG compost pile..you NEED to give back to the Earth, what you take.
This sounds like overkill, and im not sure what waiting 2 days between each step is all about. I see no benefit in a 2 day wait. It depends entirely on the soil wether other measures need to be taken. Where I live I can drop my 60" tiller on grassed lawn, never tilled, and have a powder garden bed in 30 minutes. I am at the extreme end of easy to till soil though. Unless you have some really stubborn, hard soil, I dont know why you would need a week and a half and 4 different implements just to get ground ready for a rototiller (5th implement). Just sounds like overkill.

I say drop the rototiller on it and see how it does. If it struggles, use just one of your options, to get ground broken then try again. Maybe just a subsoiler or middle buster would break it enough to let the tiller start digging, but then you can do it all in the same day. Break, ten till right after.

Showboat

May 23, 2020
Altoona, PA
I run a 60" tiller on LX2610 with no problem at all. I believe that width of tractor is 54" and closer to 59" with the oversized tires.

Warrior67

Sep 22, 2019
Ohio
Thanks for the replies. Sounds like several of you are running 60” tillers with similar pto hp tractors.
That eases my mind.
If I have take several shallow passes to break sod. I’m fine with that. Just means more seat time.

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
^^^^^

This is your answer. Just bust it up some before tilling and you'll be fine. Go slow....let the implement do its work.