6 more hours to first service

Mike_B

Equipment
B2320 w/MMM & FEL, & a bunch of Stihl power equipment. Lincoln SA250 for repairs
Oct 27, 2012
the Dusty South
I've got 44 hrs on my B2320 & am wondering if there is anything particular I should look for when I do my first service? Also, is there enough difference in the tractor supply brand hydraulic fluid to not use it versus the Kubota labeled stuff? It's going to be over a month before I get to do the service due to work, so time is on my side for once.

Mobile command outpost, over!

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
NOPE no real difference in the TSC brand of juice compared to the Kubota. Just read the ingredients and make sure they match up to Kubots requirements, which more then likely they should. Even Service Dept Vic said he uses the Wal-mart hydraulic juice in his tractors.

Paulemar

Equipment
BX25, 60" MMM, 3 point hitch, 60" front plow, 48" Phoenix rototiller.
Jan 21, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
I've got 44 hrs on my B2320 & am wondering if there is anything particular I should look for when I do my first service? Also, is there enough difference in the tractor supply brand hydraulic fluid to not use it versus the Kubota labeled stuff? It's going to be over a month before I get to do the service due to work, so time is on my side for once.

In my humble opinion, get the Kubota hydraulic fluid. You will only have to replace what you lose when changing the filter. With only 44 hours you have an expensive new tractor that uses the recently introduced Kubota SUDT2 hydraulic fluid. Don't put in a TSC brand that is probably the equivalent of 2 Hydraulic fluid generations old UDT from the 80's. (80's?) It probably won't damage anything, but it could have an effect on noise level and performance. Think of it this way. If you had a new car that came from the factory with a SN 0W20 synthetic motor oil and that's what was recommended, would you be changing, at the first oil change, to a straight 30 weight, house brand oil to save a few bucks? There is likely another oil out there that meets Kubota SUDT2 specs, but unless you already know which it is and where to get it, stick with the SUDT2. That way you also won't be second guessing yourself about your hydraulic fluid choice every time you hear a noise that you don't recognize.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Just MHO you understand... back inthe day I was a monacar whore and used nothing but HD suff. UNtill I finely figured out that the RedLine Supershock I used inthe hot rod was better and the M1 was much better then HD oil,, The point I m getting at is this, As long as you check the lables and everythings the same use it. Ye I know guys that swear by the MoCo stuff but if you think about it, HD or the big "K" doesnot make their own oils and greases, it goes out to somebody else and its made under their specs. So if what your looking at from TSC has the same specs then go for it. Again just MHO

Stumpy

Equipment
L175
Dec 1, 2011
NE Ohio
The thing is though they almost never publish all the specs required to telling you everything you need to know about the oil to make a judgment on it's long term lubricating qualities. It may meet spec out of the mixer but if they did that by dumping gallons of additive in road tar it's not going to last. Since the market is so small it's even worse than it is in the motor oil market. What is there is confusing and difficult to decipher.

I read an oil report of the Tractor Supply stuff on the Bob is the Oil Guy and it was the opinion of the guy who ran the test that it was an inferior lubricant. After hours of reading the conclusion I came to was that the really cheap stuff wasn't worth the risk to me. If you want peace of mind go with Kubota's products otherwise stick with a reasonably priced name brand fluid that meets Kubota's specs.

By the way if the dealer wants more than about $20 a gallon for Super UDT tell them to stick it where the sun don't shine.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
just have a large pan under the filter, as you will loose a bunch of fluid while changing the filter...
Someone posted about rigging a shop vac into the fill hole while changing the filter. It worked for me when I did the 50 hour service on mine. I used a piece of PVC pipe stuck into my small shop vac hose and taped up. Then I stuck the other end of the pipe just into the fill hole. There was a space around the pipe so it didn't quite seal in the fill hole. When I had the old filter broken loose and the new one ready to go I switched the vac on and quickly swapped the filters.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
You get what you pay for when it comes to lubricants. Not saying TSC fluid won't work but it's priced cheap for a reason, it's cheap oil. Yes it will work but don't expect your tractor to perform the same after the change because it won't.

When you go to the store for a Coke do you spend the $1.59 or pass it up for the $.59 brand you never heard of. They may look the same, may be the same temp, may be the same size but for some reason they just aren't the same. JMHO

Iowan

Equipment
Kubota's
Apr 29, 2012
North central Iowa
I just looked at TSC and Fleet Farm and there oils just met UDT spec., use the Kubota oil to top of your hydro.

Last edited:

satchelh

Equipment
L2550DT
Feb 18, 2013
SW Ohio, USA
It seems to me that if you have an older gear transmission tractor any good quality UTF will do, including Kubota UDT. I certainly wouldn't put anything but SUDT2 in a late model hydro, especially if that's what came in it originally. Like others have said before me, oil is (relatively) cheap and the money you may save on an oil change is nothing compared to a major repair bill.

My 2011 Ford truck came from the factory with synthetic blend oil. I could cheap out and go with straight dino, but it seems stupid to go against what the designers of the truck have specified.

It's the same thing with a new tractor. If it came with SUDT2, that's what I would put in it.

wschapinjr

Equipment
b2620
May 23, 2012
Steep Falls, ME
One thing I did was to buy a cement-mix trough at home depot. They are plastic pans used for making small batches of cement. They fit under the machine and you don't have to worry about overflow as I'm guessing they hold about 10 gallons. Just a thought.

Mike_B

Equipment
B2320 w/MMM & FEL, & a bunch of Stihl power equipment. Lincoln SA250 for repairs
Oct 27, 2012
the Dusty South
That's a splendid idea. My original question was asked not from trying to save a few bucks on oil but due to convenience of where I could get fluid. I never considered googling it & buying it online. I figured shipping would include expensive hasn't fees, which it may. I have several weeks before I have to get it. Working 7/12's doesn't leave much time for operating my tractor much less servicing it. Thanks for all the replies & tips! Thanx for the link for getting fluids online too...

Last edited:

KubotaTech

Equipment
None- I get to play with everyone elses stuff
Apr 1, 2010
PA
Kubota uses Super Udt2 in their tractors from new. The oil is supposed to be better in hot and cold temperature extremes. I know it is better than some other tractor manufacturers' oils as I have seen cold temperature cavitation problems with other brands but not with Kubota. The oil Kubota packages comes from Ashland Oil company- not the same as other brands as Kubota has its own specs. Highly doubt it is the same as walmart oil, even if it would come out of the same plant. It may be true other oils meet regular udt specs but who knows what the additive amounts are or what the additives are- such as copper, zinc, road tar, molasses, or drill shavings. Also, you cant tell if aftermarket fluids will have other issues such as foaming or delayed clutch engagement, which I have seen even if you use reg udt instead of super udt or sudt2. I was told use super udt2 in anything with a hydro or wet clutch, otherwise udt will be ok if the manual says it is.

Tractor Seabee

Equipment
BX25, brush hog, RT, Rake, BB, QH, Disc, Log Splitter,12K Trailer, Dodge 3500 PU
My Bx 25 is out of warranty so I do not buy from the dealer. With my fleet discount, by being retired military, I get NAPA products for almost half of the Kubota prices and they are right down the road not, 40 miles away. I compared the specs on the K SUDT oil and the NAPA and they are identical. I put a lot of hrs on mine so change more often than most. Their Wix made filters are cross referenced to Kubota. You need the engine #. I have used Delo 400 in everything, both gas and deisel, stationary and mobile for 50 years with no problems for engine oil. Use the 10-40 as we do not get that cold here in W WA.

At 50 hours change everything, I did and was glad I did. Unreal how much gunk, metal shavings and grit I found in all systems. Even do the front axel. Factory QA sucks on most products today. Had the first fuel filter in line plug solid at 300 hrs and had never filled the tank any way except pumping from a bulk tank through a 5 micron filter. Tell me where it came from.

Ron

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
NAPA carries alot of after market part and supplies for tractors. One of the many more reason's why I shop NAPA all the time. I can get everything I need for my tractor and trucks all in one place. They even carry heavy duty parts for big rigs as well.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Tractor Seabee, I'm not even going to get in on the oil debate, your tractor so do what is best for you.

On the fuel issue, even though you filter your fuel do you use any kind of conditioner? Diesel is really some nasty stuff and it doesn't take long to have a algea problem. If left untreated it will be a huge problem for your entire fuel system.

Saxman

Equipment
L3830 ZD21
Jun 19, 2010
Mt. Vernon, IL
I am only speaking for myself now, I would not consider using off brand hydraulic oil in my L3830HST. This summer it will be due another change and I will bite the bullet and get 17 gallons on UDT2

Steve