5G switch

ACDII

Equipment
B2410, L352 Loader, Woods BH70-X backhoe
Oct 21, 2021
Illinois
re: The 3G and 4G non HD networks are being retired as the hardware is reaching end of life. This is very normal with computerized hardware.

It's NOT the hardware that's 'end-of-life' rather they can't squeeze any more pennies from the clients,plain and simple.
I have several computers here STILL running on 170MB SCSI drives from the mid 80s. Have 4 laptops still functioning as well as TRS80 MIII with 15MB HD, 'up and running', so now it's NOT the hardware.
I also have a networked energy management system from the 70s that has never,ever been hacked unlike the new stuff.
Actually it IS the hardware thats end of life. After a set date, there is NO support on it so if there is a software vulnerability, there will not be any patches to correct it. End of life doesn't mean it stops functioning, it means you can no longer replace it with a like part, nor patch or upgrade it. The AP is not like a hard drive or an old computer that just runs til it quits, though, older computers can only run OS up to a certain point and are no longer supported so if your PC cannot run windows 10 and is stuck on XP it is extremely vulnerable to being hacked with Malware or Ransomeware. IOW do not do any financial work on it!

Also keep in mind these are in an outdoor environment and subject to many different hazards like high winds, UV damage, lightning and water intrusion, so they fail constantly and need to be replaced. Once new old stock is used up, thats it, no more. The 3G hardware is 20 years old, far older than most routers and switches in use today, average lifespan of a router or switch or PC for that matter is 10 years.

I used to work for a wireless ISP and have climbed some pretty damned tall towers, a 400' tower is no joke. I have had to replace a few burned out AP's 400' in the air, and what's the worst part is having to replace scorched cables, they get friggin heavy by the time the end is up by the AP. That and a tower can only have so many AP's or antenna on them for wind load reasons, so to provide more coverage, older smaller radius AP's have to go. By removing the old 3g/4G non HD radios, they make room for further reaching higher speed ones.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: Actually it IS the hardware thats end of life

Sorry, but no it's NOT the hardware, it's a 'follow the money' problem. We are 'told' we NEED the latest and greatest 'AP' that of course won't run on the 'old' computers, so we ave to BUY new hardware to run new OS to run the new APs. While the old stuff (HW and SW) may not have all the'bells and whistles', it still functions as it was designed.
I still have VISICALC 'up and running' on a computer, though I suspect only 1 in a million KNOW what it is.
As for the new wireless stuff, it's crazy the amount of 'overhead' they need to send data compared to the system I use where 22 out of 24 bits IS data and hacker proof.

Reactions: 1 user

ACDII

Equipment
Oct 21, 2021
Illinois
Believe what you want, but considering I manage the network gear for a billion $$ company, I tend to see what is out there and what their lifecycles are. One of the systems used for SAN has just been replaced because the HARDWARE was constantly failing. A computer that reads/writes occasionally lasts far longer than one that reads/writes thousands of times per second. Solid state gear such as tower units have millions of cycles per second which generates tremendous amounts of heat. Heat is the #1 killer of electronic gear, so they have a MTBF and once that part is reach, it is essentially a wait and pray state before it fails.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
Believe what you want, but considering I manage the network gear for a billion $$ company, I tend to see what is out there and what their lifecycles are. One of the systems used for SAN has just been replaced because the HARDWARE was constantly failing. A computer that reads/writes occasionally lasts far longer than one that reads/writes thousands of times per second. Solid state gear such as tower units have millions of cycles per second which generates tremendous amounts of heat. Heat is the #1 killer of electronic gear, so they have a MTBF and once that part is reach, it is essentially a wait and pray state before it fails.
While I agree with you 100% about corporate systems, I think that the bulk of the discussion pertained to consumer electronics devices, not corporate systems.

ACDII

Equipment
Oct 21, 2021
Illinois
Well, what do you think cell service is? Our cell phones may last 10-20 years, but the hardware on the towers, thats a totally different thing and why the old stuff is taken out of service. It ages at a much faster rate than what we personally use and has to be replaced often. At some point the old outdated equipment will become scarce. I still have a hard drive somewhere from a 286, a whopping 40MB that took up an entire 5 1/2" bay, probably will still fire up, and work if drivers could be found for it.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
ATT is terrible in my Region. They support great service in cities with the rural areas not having coverage. It seems like in much of the mountain west, the only good service in rural areas is Verizon.
ATT is OK where I live, EXCEPT at my house! Verizon is 4 or 5 bars on my daughter's phone when she visits, but I get 1 bar on my ATT phone at best.

The life saver is WIFI calling, which lets me connect to the ATT network over my internet connection. You probably already know this, but mentioning it just in case you are not aware that ATT WIFI calling works really well if WIFI is available. Even works when we are in Japan, just the same as when we are home...

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
ATT is OK where I live, EXCEPT at my house! Verizon is 4 or 5 bars on my daughter's phone when she visits, but I get 1 bar on my ATT phone at best.

The life saver is WIFI calling, which lets me connect to the ATT network over my internet connection. You probably already know this, but mentioning it just in case you are not aware that ATT WIFI calling works really well if WIFI is available. Even works when we are in Japan, just the same as when we are home...
One thing that you may want to consider about using WIFI calling is that not all carriers will allow you to access it if you are not using a device provided by them. I ran into that case very recently when I purchased a Samsung A02S from Amazon. The device is capable of using WIFI calling but I called Cricket (AT&T Subsidiary) about getting an error code when I tried to connect, they told me that they do not support any "Bring Your Own Device" access to WIFI calling.

You may want to check with your carrier to see if they support the services you want to access, such as WIFI calling, before you buy a device from someone else.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
If any of you remember Laugh-In, I have a 60 line 'callboard' similar to what Ernestine used to sit at... 'one ringy dingy, 2 ringy dingy'. Made in 1949, still works today.....even have blue prints(yes, the REAL blue prints) for it as well.

Reactions: 1 users

ACDII

Equipment
Oct 21, 2021
Illinois
If any of you remember Laugh-In, I have a 60 line 'callboard' similar to what Ernestine used to sit at... 'one ringy dingy, 2 ringy dingy'. Made in 1949, still works today.....even have blue prints(yes, the REAL blue prints) for it as well.
I used to work at a Factory in the early 80's that still used a small switchboard in the reception area. The receptionist must have been in her 60's at that time. Can you imagine some young person who has no idea what a switchboard is trying to route calls! LOL My mom ran one at one of her earlier jobs as well.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
I used to work at a Factory in the early 80's that still used a small switchboard in the reception area. The receptionist must have been in her 60's at that time. Can you imagine some young person who has no idea what a switchboard is trying to route calls! LOL My mom ran one at one of her earlier jobs as well.
I used to install switchboard and dial central office equipment back in the 1970s. It was a little strange to see the equipment that I used to install as an exhibit in a museum a few years ago.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
One thing that you may want to consider about using WIFI calling is that not all carriers will allow you to access it if you are not using a device provided by them. I ran into that case very recently when I purchased a Samsung A02S from Amazon. The device is capable of using WIFI calling but I called Cricket (AT&T Subsidiary) about getting an error code when I tried to connect, they told me that they do not support any "Bring Your Own Device" access to WIFI calling.

You may want to check with your carrier to see if they support the services you want to access, such as WIFI calling, before you buy a device from someone else.
Same issue with wifi calling using tracphone or straight talk and using your own phone.

Personally we tried using a straight talk phone when we first switched. That was a horrible experience. The phones just don't have the memory, so if you accept all the updates, it will fill the memory up and the phone will get glitchy.

Wife found someone who worked for ATT and bought her and her sons phones for us to use instead.

Last phones we bought we carrier specific unlocked off from Amazon.

My work phone is set up through Verizon, and does do wifi calling. So I make sure and bring that with us incase we happen to be in an area that has hinky cell service, but have wifi availability.

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
I bet if I search the boxes downstairs I'll find my Pickett slide rule and let you all bid on buying it as memorabilia.
No visicalc for me. I was weened on Lotus 123.
Nothing says geek like a TI calculator looped on your belt.