5G switch

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Had my phone tank out a couple days ago. Everything g on the data side worked. Could face time call, text, use the internet, ect...

But couldn't make a bloody phone call. 🤬🤬🤬🤬

Texted my wife and she was having the same issue 🤔🤔🤔🤔

We use straight talk for our service and have unlocked ATT phones.

Spent upwards to 6 hrs over 3 days with Straight talk trying to figure out what's going on.

Finally got it figured out today. Got a hold of the second tier tech support. Got to discussing whats been done and tried.

We finally narrowed it down the ATT's 5g switch. As of the 22nd they dropped obsolete devices from there network.

This included the out dated symbol cards in our phones 🤬🤬🤬🤬

Then since they didn't have a notice on my account, they wanted me to order the card 🤬🤬🤬🤬

I pointed out to the tech, that why should I pay for a new sym card when the device you supplied to me is obsolete. After all the time with tech support trying to figure it out....

My gist of the conversation was that since our phone work through them, ill run over to the ATT store and go to them. They offer similar prepaid plans.

When I had him check my wifes phone account, it popped up the notice in there system about the sym card needing to be replaced.

Apparently mine was overlooked in the rush. 🙄🙄🙄

Anyway, they are sending two sym cards free of charge and then we get to look forward to waiting on hold for 40 plus minutes to get someone to update the system. 🥴🥴🥴🥴

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
Same issue but I have a 4G phone. 30 minutes with Consumer Cellular and tech said it has to be due to the ATT. New SIM should be here Friday.
It is starting to sound like this is a much bigger issue than ATT expected.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Same issue but I have a 4G phone. 30 minutes with Consumer Cellular and tech said it has to be due to the ATT. New SIM should be here Friday.
It is starting to sound like this is a much bigger issue than ATT expected.
Our phones are 4G as well.

I did know that ATT was kicking 3g devices off the network. Our GPS units on the equipment at work were 3G and we were having to make the switch to 4G units.

I didn't give it a thought since my phone is 4G.

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
I don't have AT&T - too many dropped calls out here. I used Sprint for several years but since they changed to T-Mobile my service went in the toilet. In my world Verizon is the only viable service. I don't like their prices but other companies use their service for a lot less money. I'm currently with Twigby which is only Verizon but a lot less money. Next month I'll probably move to Boom. Their "Red" plan will get me Verizon service for probably $5 a month less than Twigby. Now my phone ALWAYS works!!

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Had the same problem with the wife's phone, and it was on Tracfone. We switched that to Consumer Cellular which was an easy switch till we hit the stumbling block. They wanted to give her a new telephone number and I said no. It took 3 days and an untold amount of time before Tracfone would allow the number transfer, even though it is a federal law that you can keep your number. In the last call, the Tracfone "technician" had to text me a verification code 3 times in that one call to verify my identity. Tracfone used to be inexpensive, and we could have a year's service for $125, and never run out of minutes. Now they have dropped those inexpensive plans and are just like all the other cell phone companies. I rarely ever have a need for my cell phone. I am enjoying my retirement!

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
just wait until 6G comes out in a few months......
it's all about stealing more coins from your wallets.....

Only good thing is EVERY cellphone still has 911 ability

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
If you have a medical alert device that was activated before 2018 you most likely have an old 3G device that is affected by them turning off 3G services. You may want to check your devices to see if you still have service.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
ATT is terrible in my Region. They support great service in cities with the rural areas not having coverage. It seems like in much of the mountain west, the only good service in rural areas is Verizon.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
If you have a medical alert device that was activated before 2018 you most likely have an old 3G device that is affected by them turning off 3G services. You may want to check your devices to see if you still have service.
We had similar issue with GPS units at work

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
ATT is terrible in my Region. They support great service in cities with the rural areas not having coverage. It seems like in much of the mountain west, the only good service in rural areas is Verizon.
ATT and Verizon are hit and miss in Arkansas. Depends on where you are in the state. I have a Verizon work phone, so use ATT for my personal phone. If I can't get service on one, I usually have service on the other.

Botamon

Equipment
M7060HDC12, John Deere 2020 diesel
Mar 26, 2018
Winnemucca, Nevada
^ The truth, the absolute truth here in rural northern Nevada. Can't get much more rural than my location...if I leave my driveway and head south it is 133 miles before I get to a paved road. Verizon signal is hit and miss depending on where you are in relation to the surrounding mountains - but any other carrier, pretty much zilch once you leave Reno or Las Vegas. Been there, done that.

Funny thing is, I get occasional mailings from ATT asking me to try their cell service and internet service - just call this 800 number and we'll fix you right up. So I call and am promptly told they don't service my area. So - if you have my zip code but you don't service the area, why are you sending me offers???

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
^ The truth, the absolute truth here in rural northern Nevada. Can't get much more rural than my location...if I leave my driveway and head south it is 133 miles before I get to a paved road. Verizon signal is hit and miss depending on where you are in relation to the surrounding mountains - but any other carrier, pretty much zilch once you leave Reno or Las Vegas. Been there, done that.

Funny thing is, I get occasional mailings from ATT asking me to try their cell service and internet service - just call this 800 number and we'll fix you right up. So I call and am promptly told they don't service my area. So - if you have my zip code but you don't service the area, why are you sending me offers???
Botamon, try not to be logical. It will drive you nuts dealing with these situations!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Was it a Samsung phone by chance? I think they are designed to fail that way.

I've given up on the brand as both of my last two samsung's stopped working just out of warranty. I refuse to find out if a third will fail. Too bad blackberry has discontinued service, my old BB still works AND I can easily put in a new battery.

Last edited:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
re: So - if you have my zip code but you don't service the area, why are you sending me offers???
why ? simple... advertising dept doesn't talk to the tech department, really it is that SIMPLE.

When Bell Canada wanted us to 'upgrade' from CL-A-sigchnls to DVACs, I said 'it won't work'. They said 'yes it will'. It took them a week to install DVACS from Hamilton to Milton(+-35KM). After trying for 6 hours,they gave up. A few days later I get a bill for just over $12K CDN ! I called, told the gal, send it to 'VP xyz' as he said it WOULD work but didn't.

ACDII

Equipment
B2410, L352 Loader, Woods BH70-X backhoe
Oct 21, 2021
Illinois
The 3G and 4G non HD networks are being retired as the hardware is reaching end of life. This is very normal with computerized hardware. We are replacing routers, switches, firewalls, Intrusion Prevention, servers, yearly as they reach end of life, which also means end of support. If a hack is discovered in this older equipment, then it can affect millions of people, and set the phone companies back financially to being bankrupt.

All carriers at some point will be retiring the old equipment soon. Verizon is next month. My wifes Iphone 5 will no longer work, but she doesn't use it. I would remove it, but then my plan will actually cost more.

For now all LTE phones should still be working, but older 3G/LTE phones will not. I just upgraded from an iphone 6s to the 13 pro max. I am not one of those new every two or have to have the latest and greatest every year. I tend to get quite a few years out of one, especially at $1000 a pop. When I do upgrade I get thee biggest bang for the buck, but not overboard either. There are much more expensive 13 pro max than what I got.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
The 3G and 4G non HD networks are being retired as the hardware is reaching end of life. This is very normal with computerized hardware. We are replacing routers, switches, firewalls, Intrusion Prevention, servers, yearly as they reach end of life, which also means end of support. If a hack is discovered in this older equipment, then it can affect millions of people, and set the phone companies back financially to being bankrupt.

All carriers at some point will be retiring the old equipment soon. Verizon is next month. My wifes Iphone 5 will no longer work, but she doesn't use it. I would remove it, but then my plan will actually cost more.

For now all LTE phones should still be working, but older 3G/LTE phones will not. I just upgraded from an iphone 6s to the 13 pro max. I am not one of those new every two or have to have the latest and greatest every year. I tend to get quite a few years out of one, especially at $1000 a pop. When I do upgrade I get thee biggest bang for the buck, but not overboard either. There are much more expensive 13 pro max than what I got.
I usually buy an unlocked carrier specific phone for around $200 when we decide to upgrade our phones. Usually 2 models behind whatever the current model is. Run them till they quit working on the network and become absolete. Then upgrade again. Usually get about 4 to 5 years off a phone.

Poohbear

Equipment
L3301 HST, LA525, LP shredder, BB1566 box blade, QH10, Worksaver pallet fork
Jul 6, 2018
Gilmer,Tx,United States
ATT and Verizon are hit and miss in Arkansas. Depends on where you are in the state. I have a Verizon work phone, so use ATT for my personal phone. If I can't get service on one, I usually have service on the other.
No joke here. We stay at Withrow Springs SP outside Huntsville a lot and in the rv area no service on any carrier. Drive about a half mile from the campground & I have 4 bars on my Verizon iPhone.. at our land a few miles away you have to walk around & find where the signal is that day.
Here in East Tx Verizon works good but my Daughter is on ATT and if she comes out to our farm she has only 1 bar & you can see the ATT tower just south of us

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
re: The 3G and 4G non HD networks are being retired as the hardware is reaching end of life. This is very normal with computerized hardware.

It's NOT the hardware that's 'end-of-life' rather they can't squeeze any more pennies from the clients,plain and simple.
I have several computers here STILL running on 170MB SCSI drives from the mid 80s. Have 4 laptops still functioning as well as TRS80 MIII with 15MB HD, 'up and running', so now it's NOT the hardware.
I also have a networked energy management system from the 70s that has never,ever been hacked unlike the new stuff.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I went to the phone store yesterday, bad idea, at least 1 1/2 hour wait because of all the stuff inthe mail and emails. I showed the guy my old flip phone when he asked what I had, paused and said I have never seen one of these before.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users