59 Years Ago.....

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
59 years ago today, Pat and I began our journey to forever....together.

Just as a sorta introduction to my early life, I left home in July '61 at age 17 never to live at home again. There was not a problem except my folks could not afford to support me anymore so I had to learn to fend for myself. I went to work for Southern Bell Telephone Company in October, '62, but when your pay is only $60 per week, you have no money. This redneck was one broke dude, but I had a job.

I met Pat on the CB radio around the 1st of January, '63 and somehow found out that her birthday was January 13th. No way could I ask her out before her birthday because then I would have to buy her a birthday present. Did I mention that I had no money Anyway, I probably made myself a nuisance around her place. Heck, they had food, so sometimes I got invited for supper.

We continued to see each other until toward the end of March when her Dad decided that he had seen enough of me. My instructions were to not come back. Pat called me at work Monday morning and we decided over the phone to get married that Friday, the 29th of March. That week we gathered birth certificates, blood tests, and whatever else that we thought we needed to prove our age and get married. Mississippi's marriage laws were too strict, so we decided to hop over to Alabama.

I picked her up from her work Friday morning and away we went in a 1959 Pink Edsel Convertible. I had been living in a rooming/boarding house and had no apartment, so my friend Frank, agreed to find us a place before we got back Saturday afternoon. Since my parents had never met Pat, we would go there Saturday morning for an introduction. Everything went off as planned. We got back to Jackson, found Frank who took us to our apartment, and the rest is kinda history. Ten months later we were parents.

The first piece of mail that arrived after we got married came on Wednesday. It was a bounced $10 check from the city of Jackson for the $10 water deposit. Did I mention that I was broke and had no money??

Reactions: 21 users

Norman

Equipment
LX2610HSD;LA535;LP 60" grapple; WC68 chipper; GB60 SW cutter
Sep 30, 2021
Georgia, USA
Great story. Happy Anniversary to you both!
And now you own tractors so probably still don't have money. :LOL:

Reactions: 2 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
59 years ago today, Pat and I began our journey to forever....together.

Just as a sorta introduction to my early life, I left home in July '61 at age 17 never to live at home again. There was not a problem except my folks could not afford to support me anymore so I had to learn to fend for myself. I went to work for Southern Bell Telephone Company in October, '62, but when your pay is only $60 per week, you have no money. This redneck was one broke dude, but I had a job.

I met Pat on the CB radio around the 1st of January, '63 and somehow found out that her birthday was January 13th. No way could I ask her out before her birthday because then I would have to buy her a birthday present. Did I mention that I had no money Anyway, I probably made myself a nuisance around her place. Heck, they had food, so sometimes I got invited for supper.

We continued to see each other until toward the end of March when her Dad decided that he had seen enough of me. My instructions were to not come back. Pat called me at work Monday morning and we decided over the phone to get married that Friday, the 29th of March. That week we gathered birth certificates, blood tests, and whatever else that we thought we needed to prove our age and get married. Mississippi's marriage laws were too strict, so we decided to hop over to Alabama.

I picked her up from her work Friday morning and away we went in a 1959 Pink Edsel Convertible. I had been living in a rooming/boarding house and had no apartment, so my friend Frank, agreed to find us a place before we got back Saturday afternoon. Since my parents had never met Pat, we would go there Saturday morning for an introduction. Everything went off as planned. We got back to Jackson, found Frank who took us to our apartment, and the rest is kinda history. Ten months later we were parents.

The first piece of mail that arrived after we got married came on Wednesday. It was a bounced $10 check from the city of Jackson for the $10 water deposit. Did I mention that I was broke and had no money??
Happy anniversary, from a fellow Traveling Man!

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Ditto. Great story. Happy anniversary.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
love your story. My wife and I tied the knot when we had no possessions except some clothes on our backs essentially.

No prenuptial agreements needed! LOL

Always think joining with someone when each has nothing, and living life to together and seeing what it brings, is a gift worth having. Only 50 years for us this June...

MattN03

Equipment
2011 B3200, LA504 FEL w/B2366 SSQA conversion, BH76 BH, EA Wicked 55
Sep 5, 2016
KY
Happy anniversary to you both! Congrats!!

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Isn't it amazing what becomes of people who start with nothing and become who they are by providing for themselves? The trials of life form the person, and the more trials the greater the character building and more valuable they become!

Congratulations!!

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
We celebrated with lunch today.
IMG_2030.JPG

A Garden Salad and
IMG_2031.JPG

Blackened Redfish with a Seafood Sauce and a Baked Sweet Potato. The meal cost more that my weekly pay was 59 years ago. Yes guys and girls, we are blessed beyond measure.

I took off from sawmilling today but I plan to get a half day in tomorrow before the stormy weather gets here.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users

OrangeKrush

Equipment
BX2680, LA344 with Piranha tooth bar, LP PF 1242, LP Rear Blade, KK 60" BB
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
Congratulations on such a long journey together!

cliffboyer

Equipment
L3301 w/LA525 loader, G5200 mower w/RC48 deck, Kawasaki 610 Mule, DR mower
Nov 30, 2017
Southern IL
Congratulations!

The Lord has blessed you.

A milestone to be proud of......A tip of the hat and a raise of the glass to you both.