50 Hr service complete

8upbowhunter

Equipment
L4701 FEL, Cutter, Discs and Land Plane
Dec 15, 2016
S/E Louisiana
Completed my 50 Hr service this morning at 45.1 Hrs and all went well. It took about 3 hours taking my time and checking everything front to back. The engine oil looked almost new and had very few very fine metal shavings on the hydraulic fluid filter magnet. My front diff level was about 1/4" below the full hole so I will get some fluid and top that off this week.

Couple of things for the first time diy'ers getting ready to do this.

1. When removing the engine oil drain plugs make sure the copper gasket comes off with the bolt. I didn't notice the first one stuck to the oil pan but saw the 2nd one drop into the bucket. Fished both out of the oil bucket after I dumped the old oil into some jugs.

2. Make sure the old gasket comes off when removing the engine oil filter and hydraulic fluid filter. I had to pull the hydraulic filter gasket off as it was stuck to the tractor.

3. The shop vac trick for replacing the hydraulic fluid filter works great, only lost what was in the old filter. On my tractor a 1" npt pvc male fitting screwed right into the hyd fluid fill hole and fit my shop vac hose perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

8upbowhunter

Equipment
Dec 15, 2016
S/E Louisiana
Curious about how much fluid gets into shop vac ?

I didn't have any in the shop vac. Loosened filter until it started leaking then turned vac on. Removed old filter, took old gasket stuck to tractor off lubed new filter and spun it on. Shut off vac when filter made a seal and sound changed on vac then finished tightening the new filter.

8upbowhunter

Equipment
Dec 15, 2016
S/E Louisiana
It's not hard at all, just take your time and you will be good to go.

Steve67

Equipment
B2601-fel, 60"mmm, 5' rear blade, balast box
Jan 20, 2017
St. Louis, mo.
Did the shop vac trick for the hydraulic filter. I would suggest using maybe a 3hp vac because my 6.5 hp sucked about a quart and half of fluid into the shop vac even though it was only on 5-10 seconds. Took longer to clean the shop vac then to do the 50 hour service. Lol

8upbowhunter

Equipment
Dec 15, 2016
S/E Louisiana
Mine is a 3.5 hp and didn't get any in the vac, good to know for the next time someone asks about it.

SLIMSHADIE

Equipment
Kubota BX25D
Apr 10, 2013
Eureka,IL
On my BX, just to change the hydraulic filter only, you dont need to do the shop vac trick. You only lose whats in the filter. I change it every year. Now to clean the screen and keep the same fluid, ive read about the shop vac trick, but havent tried it.

sgtboz

Equipment
Kubota L3800/L3940, BH77/BH90 Backhoes, www.bozhog.com
Sep 11, 2015
Oklahoma City, OK
www.bozhog.com
Also, the shop vac doesn't need to have an airtight connection to the fill port. In fact, I just loosely place mine in the fill port and have a little extra air escape probably has always helped me from pulling any oil into the vac. There's enough suction that I don't lose any oil when changing filters. I always lose much more when I try the 'quick change' method without the vac in use.

8upbowhunter

Equipment
Dec 15, 2016
S/E Louisiana
Also, the shop vac doesn't need to have an airtight connection to the fill port. In fact, I just loosely place mine in the fill port and have a little extra air escape probably has always helped me from pulling any oil into the vac.

This is correct, I only screwed the pvc fitting in just enough to hold the hose there when I did mine.

sgtboz

Equipment
Kubota L3800/L3940, BH77/BH90 Backhoes, www.bozhog.com
Sep 11, 2015
Oklahoma City, OK
www.bozhog.com
Good idea! The last thing you want when assuming all the fluid is going to stay in place is for the vac to fall out of the fill port and here comes the flood!

coachgrd

Equipment
BX 1870
Aug 1, 2017
Waterford, PA
I didn't want to start a new thread on something that's probably been rehashed befpre, but is there a place on the net where I can see a good walk thru on a 50 hour service on a BX?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA