50 hour service

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I've changed all three filters on two MX6000s now and both hydraulic oil filters came with new magnets installed on the filter. The transmission filter doesn't have a magnet of course.
Great, I guess my dealer was wrong.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I am not sure what is right or wrong, but this is my understanding for the B and MX. the double circle says ‘must’. (There is a second page for both not attached but regarding the oil and filters you can see the reference. I don’t think it would hurt anything to do more than the minimum recommendation.

Attachments

radas

Equipment
2022 LX2610HST, 3rd Function, Rear Remotes, BH77
Mar 21, 2022
Michigan
I plan on doing the HST fluid and filters at 50 hours. In cars, I've always changed the oil every 4-5k and transmission/diff/steering/brake fluids every 20-30k regardless of mfg. Recommendations. Fresh fluid imo goes a long way in helping supplementing equipment longevity.

Just did both of my hydro gear ZT3200 pumps in my Ferris ZTR at 50 hours too... Mfg. Calls for "lifetime fluid" and only a filter change. I don't buy that crap - the 20w50 oil in there came out almost black with metallic particles in it and not as viscous as the fresh Mobil 1 15w50 syn I put back in.

Reactions: 1 user

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
It would be interesting to see the magnets from hydraulic oil filters of two similar models at the 400 hour service where one owner changed the hydraulic filter and oil at 50 hours and one just changed the filter. That could be compelling if there were obvious differences. In the real world we rarely get that sort of data.

As is it, there are two filters for the hydraulic oil and maybe someone knows how many hours it takes for all of the oil to pass through both filters i.e. how long it takes for one complete exchange.

Last edited:

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
I plan on doing the HST fluid and filters at 50 hours. In cars, I've always changed the oil every 4-5k and transmission/diff/steering/brake fluids every 20-30k regardless of mfg. Recommendations. Fresh fluid imo goes a long way in helping supplementing equipment longevity.
I'm a bit of a maintenance freak, but agree that keeping fresh fluids can significantly improve longevity. I have a '97 Land Cruiser that I've had for 22 years now and have 335K miles on it (original engine, trans and drive-train) and still going strong. I credit much of that to good maintenance.

Just did both of my hydro gear ZT3200 pumps in my Ferris ZTR at 50 hours too... Mfg. Calls for "lifetime fluid" and only a filter change. I don't buy that crap - the 20w50 oil in there came out almost black with metallic particles in it and not as viscous as the fresh Mobil 1 15w50 syn I put back in.
Hrydro Gear trans-axles are built tough....no doubt (I have the ZT5400's on my mower) but they get pretty hot and there is NO way the oil should ever be considered 'lifetime'. I change mine (and filters) about every 250 hrs. I agree with your sentiments.

Reactions: 1 users

RalphVa

Jan 19, 2020
Charlottesville
Hmm. Thought I'd posted about the oil change. Cannot find. So, I'll cover both.

Pisses me off that I could not use my oil extractor due to the dual drains on the oil pan. One plug that gave me troubles getting it back in was found leaking when I did the HST filters. Tightened it. Now you know why I prefer oil extractors. At 250 hours, I'll use my oil extractor and see which side doesn't get drained and only open it at 450 hour.

Did the HST and hydraulic filters this morning. Parked on the ramp into the carriage house with the rear up for gravity to help reduce oil loss. Didn't help much. The HST (#670) on right still gushed a lot of oil. The hydraulic filter, not so much. Ended up losing 3 qts, just what I had left in my UDT2 container. One picture shows the drain pan holding the filters and the 3 qts. I used my smaller oil filter wrench on both. Used my old NAPA one on the engine oil filter since it has a tighter fit.

Another picture shows a rig I bought with the 1st tractor to filter diesel or oil. Don't think I ever used it before. Checked it and found it full of pretty good oil. Didn't muck with it this time since I had enough fresh fluid to top off.

Attachments

michigander

Equipment
B2601
May 29, 2018
Northern Michigan
Hmm. Thought I'd posted about the oil change. Cannot find. So, I'll cover both.

Pisses me off that I could not use my oil extractor due to the dual drains on the oil pan. One plug that gave me troubles getting it back in was found leaking when I did the HST filters. Tightened it. Now you know why I prefer oil extractors. At 250 hours, I'll use my oil extractor and see which side doesn't get drained and only open it at 450 hour.

Did the HST and hydraulic filters this morning. Parked on the ramp into the carriage house with the rear up for gravity to help reduce oil loss. Didn't help much. The HST (#670) on right still gushed a lot of oil. The hydraulic filter, not so much. Ended up losing 3 qts, just what I had left in my UDT2 container. One picture shows the drain pan holding the filters and the 3 qts. I used my smaller oil filter wrench on both. Used my old NAPA one on the engine oil filter since it has a tighter fit.

Another picture shows a rig I bought with the 1st tractor to filter diesel or oil. Don't think I ever used it before. Checked it and found it full of pretty good oil. Didn't muck with it this time since I had enough fresh fluid to top off.
I had a couple drips on one of the oil drain plugs , my last oil change I replaced the brass washer thing. It was clearly the wrong size from factory. I change the engine oil once a year regardless of hrs. Past 3 have been 50 to 60 hrs.

Attachments

RalphVa

Jan 19, 2020
Charlottesville
I had a couple drips on one of the oil drain plugs , my last oil change I replaced the brass washer thing. It was clearly the wrong size from factory. I change the engine oil once a year regardless of hrs. Past 3 have been 50 to 60 hrs.
Needless waste of oil if you're using synthetic. Go the full hours/miles. I'm into multiple years on the pickup and two cars and generator driver. Think it's been about 7 on the generator. If you still insist on once/yr, save $ by just using dino oil. Can likely get 10w30 in dino oil.