4x4 tire size question

LeadHead

Equipment
Kubota L275, Allis Chalmers WD45, King Kutter II 3-point tiller, dirt scoop, brush hog, back blade
Sep 29, 2009
Illinois
Due to having purchased a 4x4 donor tractor for parts, I am wanting to convert my L275 to an L275DT. The only problem is that the donor machine does not have good tires. Stock sizes are 11.2x24 - rear, 7x16 - front. I just happen to have a pair of decent 12.4x24's that I can mount but of course that would throw my ratio off by a few inches circumference. From information found on a tire web site the stock 11.2x24's should be around 128" and the stock 7x16's should be 87", giving a factor of .68 between the two. The same site also states that a 12.4x24 is 134" in circumference, so that would call for a front tire that has a circumference of 91" (4" larger than stock). They show the next size up as being 8x16 and they are 93".
My question is whether I can get by with stock front tires, seeing that they would effectively be 4" smaller than what the manual calls for. I don't want to tear up my tractor, but it would not see much/any use on hard roads in 4x4 mode. The only exception would be if there were snow on the ground and even then it wouldn't be much.
Any advice?

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I remember on my B7100 when I replaced the front tires (with correct size) and didn't replace the rear. It was almost imposible to use 4wd hard ground or not. I would go with stock or make sure the new size had the correct ratio.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
I remember on my B7100 when I replaced the front tires (with correct size) and didn't replace the rear. It was almost imposible to use 4wd hard ground or not. I would go with stock or make sure the new size had the correct ratio.
I agree. Being on hard surface- asphalt or concrete- isn't a deciding factor. New tires will have great traction on most any surface, causing driveline binding. Don't assume that being on grass or dirt will mitigate the difference.
It may not damage things right away, but it will.

LeadHead

Equipment
Kubota L275, Allis Chalmers WD45, King Kutter II 3-point tiller, dirt scoop, brush hog, back blade
Sep 29, 2009
Illinois
Look to the 9.5x16 for the fronts. See the RC will be closer.
Surely you meant to say 7.5x16? That should indeed put it within an inch or so.