4wd?

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
All 4 wheels recieve power,, torque. If either of the tires gets into mud, it will start spinning and the other wheel only recieves the same amount of torque as the spinning wheel. The exception is , if you have rear differeantial lock, then you get full 4wd. Never use differential lock in a turn.

SteveF

Equipment
BX25
May 15, 2013
Huntingdon, PA
lpz, that's what I thought too but the last time I was plowing snow With my BX when I was running up a snow pile dumping, only one front tire spun in the snow and the other one, which was off the ground, did not seem to spin. This past summer I could swear that I could get both front wheels spinning in the mud at the same time... I think though that both front wheels are powered but I don't know if they are like a posi-traction diff or engage equally.

Last edited:

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
It has what's called an open differential. Both wheels will not spin at the same time all the time, but will sometimes. If one front tire has traction and the other doesn't, it will only spin one tire.

SteveF

Equipment
BX25
May 15, 2013
Huntingdon, PA
It has what's called an open differential. Both wheels will not spin at the same time all the time, but will sometimes. If one front tire has traction and the other doesn't, it will only spin one tire.
Thanks Bluegill, that explains why I have experienced two different modes of operation.

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
The differential lock only locks the rear axle. The front axle has its own differential, so you can still see the front wheels running at different speeds in a turn.