4060 glow plugs

jlb2500hd

Mar 30, 2015
Fultonville, ny
got a new 4060, now that its cold out im looking for the glow plug light on dash, manual shows that a symbol should be on intellipanel screen, im not seeing anything at this point, do these new tractors only activate glow plugs at low temp? can anyone shed some light on these new models?

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Im guessing its not cold enough yet. You turn key and wait? And no light?
Read somewhere othere were experiencing similar things. As it gets cooler it should start coming on.

If it doesent come on in cold-er weather then a call to dealer may be necessary

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Yes it has to be quite cold before you see the glow plug symbol. One of the first things I learned on the forum last fall! But eventually I saw mine. When you turn yours on, let the Intellipanel do its thing and say welcome etc, and if no symbol at the top go ahead and crank. I have wondered if in the few seconds that it takes to do this electronic stuff that it is heating the plugs very quickly. There is some kind of newer type of starting system that I've seen reference to, but I am not sure what it is. In any case this series starts really easily.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Here is info from a previous post I made concerning a M7040 and how there are unpublished tricks to force the glow plugs on.
My post explains some of the circumstances where this can be helpful.
Your model of tractor may be the same or similar.

Kubota M7040 glow plug operation
In very cold weather, with the block heater plugged in, the glow plug sensor will lock out the glow plugs as it senses a warm engine.
However, starting, in these circumstances can be rough and worrisome.
The trick is to put the shuttle shift lever in forward and turn the key to the start position.
You will hear a relay click on. I count to 10, put the shuttle back into the neutral position and start the engine.

Makes an amazing difference.
Dave M7040

How this came up was I was at the dealer on a reasonably cold day and noticed the staff moving around a large number of tractors for snow removal. These are machines that could have been sitting for months. The mechanic said they used to have problems getting all machines started in spite of using the glow plugs as allowed by the tractors electronics until the service rep told them how to get another cycle out of the glow plugs which was the shuttle shift in forward and turning the key to start. The electronics wont give you a second round of glow plugs even if you wanted them. Without this trick, when you turn the key to on, if the tractor is cold enough to need the glow plugs, a symbol lights up on the dash and you just leave the key in the on position until the symbol goes out and then turn the key to start. If the tractor does not start you are screwed. I am certain the system re sets itself after a while but I don't know how long.
When using this trick, the dash symbol does not light up and all you hear is a relay click once when you hold the key in the start position.
I count to 10 holding the key in start to not overheat the glow plugs as this seems to be how long they stay on under the controller in the coldest conditions.
When you return the shuttle shift to neutral and turn the key to start there is no doubt that the glow plugs have heated up.
This is a long answer to your question. Yes it overrides the thermostat and other limiting features on the glow plug controller.
Dave M7