400'x400' lot with 8" snow cleared with L3800 FEL

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
The Fall Line poly blank should be alot cheaper then 370 bucks. You cut it yourself to suit the needs of your blade.

MtnViewRanch

Oct 10, 2012
Lakeside Ca.
Up here a dozer with a 6 way blade can be the way to go!;)
I know what your thinking is but it's just not the real world case when dealing with snow, It's a lot different rules than dirt moving.
8" of snow not moved does not add up to 8" when it's worked and moved.

Jump on a plane and come up here, I'll let you play in the snow then you'll get a better feel for how it all works!:D
Ok, the snow compacts when moved, so you then have less volume to deal with. Wet slushy snow does this also I suppose, just not as much??? :confused:

I will say that adding a rear blade would have to be an improvement over just using the FEL bucket. And with the size of the tractor, there are practical limitations.

As far as jumping on a plane, back when I use to make good $$, I would have been up there this weekend, but unfortunately those days are far behind me. :( Thank you very much for the offer though. :cool:

tsafa

Equipment
Kubota L3800, FEL, F550 Dump, 10K Trailer
Nov 3, 2013
Tobyhanna, PA
Ok, the snow compacts when moved, so you then have less volume to deal with. Wet slushy snow does this also I suppose, just not as much??? :confused:
Next time it is snowing, look at a snow flake up close. You will see that at least 50 % of it is empty. It is full of holes. Hence very light. When it is is compacted, the same volume will be at least twice as heavy.

With a bucket or snowbox, you are going forward and trapping all of the snow inside. It will fill up all the way and then the excess will start spilling off around the side as you move forward. The tractor needs to have enough power to be able to push the full capacity forward or it gets stuck.

With an angled blade you are not not trapping it inside a box or bucket. You are not pushing it forward, you are pushing it to the side (deflecting it). So the tractor can keep moving forward and deflecting it to the side. In the case of a clearing a parking lot, you start at one side and keep making passes moving the snow 6 feet over to the side every time you pass until it is off the lot. Occasionally you may straighten the blade out and do a straight push.

I don't know if you every played football, but it take a lot more energy to meet someone head-on and stop them vs hit them at the side and deflect them. The bucket is small and only holds a limited amount of snow, so I can fill it up and keep pushing through. A snow box would hold 4 times as much snow, so it would probably stop my tractor.

Last edited:

tsafa

Equipment
Nov 3, 2013
Tobyhanna, PA
Here is a very cool video of a 160 HP Tactor "trying" to plow though 6 feet of compact snow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6x0e_tsGV2U

Like was said earlier.... enough snow will stop anything.

I would not want to give up my bucket completely. In the following video you will see that that that plow only works well if you have someplace to deflect the snow of too. If the snow is too high and too hard, the bucket is probably more useful because you can lift out small sections of it and place them someplace out of your way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BDuGonvndE

The tractor in the above video is 95 HP.

Last edited:

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
Here is a very cool video of a 160 HP Tactor "trying" to plow though 6 feet of compact snow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6x0e_tsGV2U

Like was said earlier.... enough snow will stop anything.

I would not want to give up my bucket completely. In the following video you will see that that that plow only works well if you have someplace to deflect the snow of too. If the snow is too high and too hard, the bucket is probably more useful because you can lift out small sections of it and place them someplace out of your way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BDuGonvndE

The tractor in the above video is 95 HP.
What I see in those videos is people who do not know how to move snow either the storm they are now plowing or the storms that they plowed before this one. I have seen people make these mistakes time and again and never learn, even after it has been explained in great detail, how and why a driveway or parking lot should be plowed in a specific way. With my 27.5hp, I break through drifts that big. Drifting is a huge problem where I live.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
A rear blade is only going to help you just so much. Once you start making a windrow after a couple of passes, the snow will start coming out the opposite side of the blade because there is less resistance on that side than the side you are pushing it towards. A snow pusher will work much better and you can see what is going on much better. Which ever snow blade type you use, you probably aren't going to be able to start at one side of the lot and push all the way to the other side without overloading the blade and tractor. You will most likely have to start out taking short passes. An angled rear blade or angled front blade works great on driveways and roads were you have a limited width that is being cleared. On a large parking lot, a snow pusher will be more effective because you aren't moving the same snow over and over again and at the end you can use it to pile up the snow.

rednecklimo85

Equipment
78 B6100E(brush hog, boxblade, snowplow) 85 B7200DT(loader and backhoe)
Oct 24, 2009
torrington,ct
A snow pusher is the only "correct" option to shorten the seat time with a parking lot, It's what they were designed for. If you've never used one try to find someone who will give you some seat time with one. Not only do they push more snow but they allow you to stack the snow really nicely. I would think about what your average snow storm consist of, if its 4 or 5 inch's I would get a pusher and not look back. For the storms with more I would plow more then once and just use the bucket if need be.

A snow blower/rear blade/front blade all work very nice for long push's. At some point how ever an angled blade is going to over come the weight of the tractor and it will try to steer the tractor rather then push the snow.

It's hard to imagine that tractor has more traction then it does power, especially on a snowy parking lot. Can't say I've had happen on any tractor I've run unless you were to high of a gear.

tsafa

Equipment
Nov 3, 2013
Tobyhanna, PA
I would think about what your average snow storm consist of, if its 4 or 5 inch's I would get a pusher and not look back. For the storms with more I would plow more then once and just use the bucket if need be.
It is a good point that most storms are not 12 inches, but rather 3 inches and in that case the pusher does make a lot of sense. I am going to start looking up some prices for that.

rednecklimo85

Equipment
78 B6100E(brush hog, boxblade, snowplow) 85 B7200DT(loader and backhoe)
Oct 24, 2009
torrington,ct
Yea they work really well for that and still allows use of the bucket with out a lot of work, good for back dragging by doors, close to buildings, etc. Once a dedicated blade or blower is mounted on the front I would imagine your not gonna easily swap the loader back on.

ColdRider

Equipment
L3800 Hst,QA fel, B7200Hst,(sold) tiller, bushhog, finish mower, snow plow blade
Jan 23, 2011
Northern Maine
How about a front blade? I have one on order for my L3240, I have used them before and they work great.
+1 I have used a modified plow blade with manual angle for over 20 years on 2 different kubotas. It is much faster than a bucket. I have a quick attach hookup and can swap between them with ease. I'd really like a hydraulic angle to change on the fly someday.

I had a blower but the drive is too long and would be drifted in before I could get it cleared.