400 rtv starter ?

F2036

Jan 25, 2014
Bondurant Ia
This one has me scratching my head. How in the world does a person get the starter off of a 400rtv?? Is there an easy way without taking the whole engine bay apart? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks Jim

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
those are a pain.

I've only done two of them. I hated RTV500's, and then I did the first 400. What a joke.

that's about the only way I know of, kind of like working on a modern diesel pickup truck. You start taking stuff off, pile it up on the floor next to you, and sooner or later you will be able to access what you are trying to get at.

Sorry for the bad news but I think about everyone here knows I don't sugar coat much of anything.

F2036

Jan 25, 2014
Bondurant Ia
Lugbolt, thanks for the reply, I had told my self it was going to be a challenge, I was hopeing otherwise but your reply just confirmed that my original thoughts were correct.
Now where did I put that 10mm socket :)

F2036

Jan 25, 2014
Bondurant Ia
It will try to enguage the flywheel and then quit. My son had a big spark shower at the starter /battery cable post, ( he started before I could get the batery unhooked) so between that and the starter trying to enguage the flywheel I figure it must be the starter needs some attention.

F2036

Jan 25, 2014
Bondurant Ia
Well, we got the starter out, the engineers at Kubota should have to work on what they design before it goes into production , nuff said about that.
Took the back wheel off, inner fender liner comes off, release wire loom fasteners take flywheel cover to off, remove flywheel, because there are two bolts hiding behind the flywheel that holds the starter on. Not to mention the 10mm bolts in the bracket on the other end of the starter. Those you can see but they are hard to touch and doing both at the same time isn't going to happen.
We will see how it goes back together in a day or two when I get the starter back from the shop.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Well, we got the starter out, the engineers at Kubota should have to work on what they design before it goes into production , nuff said about that.
Took the back wheel off, inner fender liner comes off, release wire loom fasteners take flywheel cover to off, remove flywheel, because there are two bolts hiding behind the flywheel that holds the starter on. Not to mention the 10mm bolts in the bracket on the other end of the starter. Those you can see but they are hard to touch and doing both at the same time isn't going to happen.
We will see how it goes back together in a day or two when I get the starter back from the shop.
The engineers at Kubota did not design it, if I remember correctly, it is Subaru.

abedlamite

Equipment
L4600DT, RTV 400ci, ZG222
Jul 1, 2022
Central Alabama

I'm going through the same scenario, but I can't get the flywheel plate off! I removed the nut and plastic cover just fine, but I can't get the plate to budge. Any tips or tricks? Was it just pressed on at the factory and has to get pried off? Or am I overlooking something else holding it on? I've been trying for two days now and getting frustrated. It's about to have a talking to with my blow torch.