4 tier engine?

speedymph1000

May 18, 2015
Alabama
I hate to keep asking stupid questions but what do I need to know about the tier 4 engine? Does it require DEF fluid like my work truck does? Any known problems? Does it cost any power to have this over the 3 tier? Thanks for all the help guys.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Not a stupid question, I didn't ask it before I got my tractor, and by luck it has turned out fine. However I started a thread to answer some of the questions I had, and it has a "sticky" on it and it is at the top of the Tractor Operating section. There are links to user comments and general information, as well as problems folks have had. None of the current crop of Kubota tractors has an engine that uses DEF at the moment, although they might in the future. Some use a diesel particulate filter that requires periodic regeneration, a few have a "reformer", many utilize exhaust gas recycling. Whether or not people have problems with a particular engine seems to relate to engine size, cold weather, and following directions. Some of the newer engines are quieter, start really easily even in the cold, and are very efficient, so there are some good tradeoffs. There is no loss in power that I know of, maybe due to the concurrent engine redesign.

Have a look and ask more questions! Welcome to the forum!