4' box blades with 3 scarifiers

ejb11235

Equipment
BX23S, Braber BBR4G 4' Box Blade & LRM5G 5' landscape rake
Jan 20, 2022
Seattle, WA, USA
I have 4. Happy with that, would not care for only 3. Would like to try 5, but that might be too much. There has to be a reason there is the spacing between them. But so far 48" and 4 scarifiers seems to be perfect.
Yeah, I am just having trouble wrapping my head around 3 scarifiers on a 4' box. I mean, this isn't rocket science ... you're trying to dig up the gravel/dirt. Each scarifier has a "blast radius" ... the width of the gravel that it disturbs. If the scarifiers are spaced too widely, the box leaves too much gravel undisturbed. So yeah, 3 scarifiers are going to be a show-stopper for me, along with pin-style 3pt hitch attachments and clip-style shank retainers.

Reactions: 1 user

Lencho

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100hst
Jan 21, 2017
NM
When I drop my scarifiers I am trying to loosen up the ground for the actual box blade rear cutter to move. I don’t need to go deep but rather loosen the width of the box. I think the 3 scarifies is a cost savings only. Actually a 4’ bb could use 5 scarifiers although I haven’t seen one. Weight will push the 4 scarifiers down. Get a heavy BB.

ejb11235

Equipment
BX23S, Braber BBR4G 4' Box Blade & LRM5G 5' landscape rake
Jan 20, 2022
Seattle, WA, USA
When I drop my scarifiers I am trying to loosen up the ground for the actual box blade rear cutter to move. I don’t need to go deep but rather loosen the width of the box. I think the 3 scarifies is a cost savings only. Actually a 4’ bb could use 5 scarifiers although I haven’t seen one. Weight will push the 4 scarifiers down. Get a heavy BB.
Thanks for your thoughts and the pictures! When I looked at the first picture I thought "hmmm, that diagonal back brace looks like what I saw on a United Box Blade on craigslist" ... then I went to the next picture. I noticed yours is a 448HD ... the HD adds the clevis pin; the one on craigslist only had a pin.

In terms of weight. The top contender right now (sight unseen), is the Braber BE-BBR4G. It weighs in at 368 pounds, which is definitely on the heavier end of the range for 4 foot boxes. I'm hoping to go see one in person this week and maybe buy. It has clevis pins and 3/8" side plates. Wow, I just noticed it even has gussets on the top corners.