4' box blades with 3 scarifiers

ejb11235

Equipment
BX23S, Braber BBR4G 4' Box Blade & LRM5G 5' landscape rake
Jan 20, 2022
Seattle, WA, USA
What do you guys think about 4' box blades that only have 3 scarifiers versus the more common 4?

My question is mostly about general box blade use where all the scarifiers are down. I am aware that there is a use where you only have the middle one down ... that doesn't seem like something I would do a lot of but maybe I'm underestimated the value of that option.

I'm looking at the Titan Implements 3104 box blade, and it has 3 scarifiers.

@fried1765 got any opinions? If I recall correctly, you're a fan of Titan Implements.

3104.jpg

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Scarifiers are what puts pressure on the material to dislodge it to make it movable. The more the merrier! Much like a tooth bar, the more teeth the better the loosening of material.

Here's a picture of breaking up ice with a toothbar on a loader bucket. It would work with fewer teeth, just more time required, but less HP and probably less traction. Gravel, rock, dirt would be the same process.

Attachments

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Have you searched for a used box blade? Around here they are not too difficult to locate. Saw one yesterday, 5' for $500 asking price.

ejb11235

Equipment
Jan 20, 2022
Seattle, WA, USA
Have you searched for a used box blade? Around here they are not too difficult to locate. Saw one yesterday, 5' for $500 asking price.
Yeah, not so much out here in Seattle. I'm looking on Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace. There was someone on CL selling a flail and United Box Blade 448 for $800 for the pair. I may reach out to him to see if he's willing to sell the box blade separately for cheap.

If this Titan had 4 scarifiers I think I would buy it without further thought. And there might be some benefit to having only 3 as far as how well the BX can handle it when doing newly-cleared ground with the scarifiers all the way down. Arg!

Locally, there's another option, which is the Braeber BE-BBR4G. It's $200 cheaper than the Titan Implements. Not 100% sure, but I think it's made in China. It has 4 scarifiers.

Both have the clevis pin style attachment, rather than the pin, which is good. I'm pretty much sold on that feature.

I haven't inquired yet about lead times and shipping costs on something I would order, like the Dirt Dog CBX48, Homestead Implements HI-I-BX-48, or the Land Shark LS-CMP-BB-EA-2.1-48. The Land Pride BB0548 is out of the running because of those shank clips.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I have an older King Kutter 4’ box blade with 4 scarifiers.

By far, my favorite and most-used implement I have for my BX.

Following D2Cat’s logic, more teeth do help. Only you can decide if the juice is worth the squeeze. Does 3 or 4 make sense, if I can get a 3- tooth version readily?

Many times, I don’t want nor need the scarifiers. Sometimes I do. Guessing I use them 10-15% of my time with the BB.

Honestly, would prefer more teeth, but I’d much more prefer a heavier duty BB over a light-one with a lot of chompers…..

IMG_0005.jpg
IMG_3993.jpg

IMG_0051.jpg

ejb11235

Equipment
Jan 20, 2022
Seattle, WA, USA
I have an older King Kutter 4’ box blade with 4 scarifiers.

By far, my favorite and most-used implement I have for my BX.

Following D2Cat’s logic, more teeth do help. Only you can decide if the juice is worth the squeeze. Does 3 or 4 make sense, if I can get a 3- tooth version readily?

Many times, I don’t want nor need the scarifiers. Sometimes I do. Guessing I use them 10-15% of my time with the BB.

Honestly, would prefer more teeth, but I’d much more prefer a heavier duty BB over a light-one with a lot of chompers…..
Thanks! These pictures are very helpful ... they give me a sense of optimism. I've been chewing on this and I just don't see getting a box blade with 3 scarifiers. The Braeber is looking better all the time ... will need to go see it in person. It weighs in at 368 pounds. That's on the high end of the range, but it seems that heavier is better up to a point.

Next week I'll call Everything Attachments and find out what shipping and availability are looking like. They really seem to have the sweet spot, both in 4' and 4.5" models. I'm not holding my breath though about freight costs.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
hmm.... 3 vs 4. say the box weighs 400#, that puts 100# on a 4 pointer, 133# on a 3 pointer, so shouldn't less be more ?
I have a single point subsoiler and it's GREAT at getting 'down and dirty'.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Yes, good point.

I did convert a middle buster into a subsoiler many years ago.

Been a while, but seems I can get 21" deep after a couple passes.....don't hold me to that..

ejb11235

Equipment
Jan 20, 2022
Seattle, WA, USA
hmm.... 3 vs 4. say the box weighs 400#, that puts 100# on a 4 pointer, 133# on a 3 pointer, so shouldn't less be more ?
It's quite possible the logic behind a 3 pointer on a 4' box is that you get higher pressure on each pointer while keeping the overall box weight down. On the other hand, it could simply be a way to keep the costs down.

Not having used a box blade before, it seems to me that being able to get deep enough is important, but so is the number of penetration points. I can always add weight, but I can't add more scarifiers.

Last edited:

Shadetree605

Equipment
kubota b2100
May 1, 2022
north little rock, ar
Thanks! These pictures are very helpful ... they give me a sense of optimism. I've been chewing on this and I just don't see getting a box blade with 3 scarifiers. The Braeber is looking better all the time ... will need to go see it in person. It weighs in at 368 pounds. That's on the high end of the range, but it seems that heavier is better up to a point.

Next week I'll call Everything Attachments and find out what shipping and availability are looking like. They really seem to have the sweet spot, both in 4' and 4.5" models. I'm not holding my breath though about freight costs.
i can tell you right now, everything attachments does not have any box blades, at least not until sept from what they told me a week ago ?!.

ejb11235

Equipment
Jan 20, 2022
Seattle, WA, USA
you are welcome :). i bought a titan 4ft box blade local, it came with 3 shanks, have not used it yet ?, but i could not pass on the price, and it being in stock locally.
Ah. There are titans available locally, but not at a "could not pass on the price" price.

Hey, on the Titan ... this is Titan Implements (not Titan Attachements) correct? What's the shape of the moldboard? The Everything Attachments seems to have a fully curved moldboard. I've seen other boxes that have two bends (e.g. the Woods). I believe some are simply flat, and then some appear to have a one bend in them, like I think the Titan Implements does. Could you post some pictures?

Shadetree605

Equipment
kubota b2100
May 1, 2022
north little rock, ar
Ah. There are titans available locally, but not at a "could not pass on the price" price.

Hey, on the Titan ... this is Titan Implements (not Titan Attachements) correct? What's the shape of the moldboard? The Everything Attachments seems to have a fully curved moldboard. I've seen other boxes that have two bends (e.g. the Woods). I believe some are simply flat, and then some appear to have a one bend in them, like I think the Titan Implements does. Could you post some pictures?
i have just one pic of my 4ft titan box blade. yes, you are correct, its not titan attachments, its titan implements.

Attachments

ejb11235

Equipment
Jan 20, 2022
Seattle, WA, USA
i have just one pic of my 4ft titan box blade. yes, you are correct, its not titan attachments, its titan implements.
Thanks for the pic! I see one crease at the bottom of the moldboard, then straight up from there. I'm ok with that. Difference manufacturers form their moldboards differently. Some appear to be completely flat. Others put one or two bends, or even a fully rounded curve. I don't know how much of a difference it makes, but LandPride explicitly calls out the shape of their moldboards. Kind of an interesting detail.

One of the thing that's common amongst all of these boxes is that they have a clevis instead a pin for the 3PH attachment.

• The Woods, at least the bigger ones, have two bends.
  • The Land Shark appears to have a single bend, halfway up.
  • The Braber/AgriEase has a single bend down low.
  • The Land Pride is a fully curved moldboard, and they explicitly state that this is especially helpful for sub-compact tractors by reducing friction.
braber.png
landpride.png
landshark.png
woods.png

Dave Ogren

Equipment
BX23S w/FEL &BH &60" Mowing Deck, 48" Dirty Dog Box Blade, 48" Tar River Tiller,
Feb 16, 2022
Asheville, N. C.
I have a Dirty Dog 48", with 4 scarifiers and both blades have a large radius. It does an amazing job and I am very happy with it and would buy it again.

ejb11235

Equipment
Jan 20, 2022
Seattle, WA, USA
I have a Dirty Dog 48", with 4 scarifiers and both blades have a large radius. It does an amazing job and I am very happy with it and would buy it again.
That's the Dirt Dog CBX48?

Thanks for pointing out the curved blade versus a flat blade. I have been focused on the shape of the moldboard, but it's been in my mind that the blades themselves can also be curved.

1653157593215.png

Reactions: 1 user

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
What do you guys think about 4' box blades that only have 3 scarifiers versus the more common 4?

My question is mostly about general box blade use where all the scarifiers are down. I am aware that there is a use where you only have the middle one down ... that doesn't seem like something I would do a lot of but maybe I'm underestimated the value of that option.

I'm looking at the Titan Implements 3104 box blade, and it has 3 scarifiers.

@fried1765 got any opinions? If I recall correctly, you're a fan of Titan Implements.

View attachment 80364
I own a 60" King Kutter box blade, ...... but I have never owned any Titan implements!
fried1765

Dave Ogren

Equipment
BX23S w/FEL &BH &60" Mowing Deck, 48" Dirty Dog Box Blade, 48" Tar River Tiller,
Feb 16, 2022
Asheville, N. C.
I have 4. Happy with that, would not care for only 3. Would like to try 5, but that might be too much. There has to be a reason there is the spacing between them. But so far 48" and 4 scarifiers seems to be perfect.