3rd function off 23s backhoe taps???

OrangePower

Equipment
A cute little rinky dinky 2021 BX23s
Sep 15, 2021
VA
So, as some of you know, I have the Kubota 23s with backhoe. I am gonna take that off and throw on a box blade. I have been looking at the hydraulic top links, and, since I am picking up a box blade for dirt cheap (pun intended). I have plenty of money left over (assuming the box blade was gonna cost me $800+) for a hydraulic cylinder. Well, what I thought was going ot be simple of course turns out to not be as such. I now see I need a 3rd function valve to operate it. I may have the money but I will be darned if I want to just "blow" it on whatever, trying to actually SAVE!! LOL

I was looking at all the third valve kits. I think the cheapest is like $400-$500, then you have to add the cylinder, fittings and then it becomes a money pit as opposed to just jumping off the tractor and getting exercise rotating the manual top link.

Is there a fairly cheap kit I can buy/make/use that just simply runs a hydraulic top link? I dont need a full fledged 3rd function valve, but, thats all I can find.

Thanks in advance.

greg86z28

Equipment
B2601
May 17, 2020
South Central Wisconsin
To run a hydraulic implement like that you need a way to control the flow on the tractor. This is normally done via a rear remote kit which comes with some control levers and valving.

The backhoe uses a power beyond circuit which is uncontrolled on the tractor, the backhoe itself controls the flow (ie your levers on the BH).

I think big picture that’s how the two different systems work.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
So, as some of you know, I have the Kubota 23s with backhoe. I am gonna take that off and throw on a box blade. I have been looking at the hydraulic top links, and, since I am picking up a box blade for dirt cheap (pun intended). I have plenty of money left over (assuming the box blade was gonna cost me $800+) for a hydraulic cylinder. Well, what I thought was going ot be simple of course turns out to not be as such. I now see I need a 3rd function valve to operate it. I may have the money but I will be darned if I want to just "blow" it on whatever, trying to actually SAVE!! LOL

I was looking at all the third valve kits. I think the cheapest is like $400-$500, then you have to add the cylinder, fittings and then it becomes a money pit as opposed to just jumping off the tractor and getting exercise rotating the manual top link.

Is there a fairly cheap kit I can buy/make/use that just simply runs a hydraulic top link? I dont need a full fledged 3rd function valve, but, thats all I can find.

Thanks in advance.
Yes. You don't need or probably want a fancy third function for rear remotes. Just purchase an inexpensive monoblock valve with as many spools as you think you will need and plumb ot into the tractor in much the same way as the third function. Two spool valve is roughly $150 plus hose and fittings. Finding the best place to mount it is probably the hardest part.

Dan

OrangePower

Equipment
Sep 15, 2021
VA
That sounds about right and what I was thinking, which made me question why they have not made a simple valve with a handle you can reach around to the back and adjust, that attaches to the backhoe hydraulics.

I think I am barking up the wrong tree with "3rd function valve" and need to look into "rear remotes" instead. Rear remotes might be what I am after but I am lost, as of now, what to look for and dont have a clue, lol. I have seen a lot of kits that tap into the hydraulic circuits on tractors, but none that taps into the fittings already there for the backhoe.

OrangePower

Equipment
Sep 15, 2021
VA
Hey Dan, looks like you posted just before I did. So, I guess I am still on the right track.

Okay, will dabble around to see whats out there.

If anyone else tapped into their backhoe ports, please let me know. I need to make a list of parts. Mounting should not be too much of a problem. Might just clamp it to the roll bar!

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Hey Dan, looks like you posted just before I did. So, I guess I am still on the right track.

Okay, will dabble around to see whats out there.

If anyone else tapped into their backhoe ports, please let me know. I need to make a list of parts. Mounting should not be too much of a problem. Might just clamp it to the roll bar!
There you go. You will want a valve with power beyond for your remotes. I don't know the particulars of the backhoe plumbing but basically you re-route the backhoe supply to the IN on the remote valve and then run the power beyond on the remote valve back to the backhoe supply hookup. Then add a third independent tank return from the remote valve to the sump on the tractor. Thats it in a nutshell.

Dan

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
There you go. You will want a valve with power beyond for your remotes. I don't know the particulars of the backhoe plumbing but basically you re-route the backhoe supply to the IN on the remote valve and then run the power beyond on the remote valve back to the backhoe supply hookup. Then add a third independent tank return from the remote valve to the sump on the tractor. Thats it in a nutshell.

Dan
That's exactly how they plumbed in my rear remote on my B2650 with backhoe. The valve is also mounted on the ROPS. It's kind of a big and bulky setup. I have to remove it to install my cab for the winter. I really don't have a use for it yet, so it stays off. I have to remove the hose to the sump and cap it off. The other two hoses are the quick connect fittings where the backhoe supply lines hook into.
David

PaulR

Equipment
BX 23S -- 100 hours seat time so far
Aug 3, 2020
Hadley, MA
You guys figure all this stuff out and post pics and diagrams please, thanks. 😁 :geek: 🤡

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
You guys figure all this stuff out and post pics and diagrams please, thanks. 😁 :geek: 🤡
Hey Paul, I'll see if I can find my valve and hose setup today and take some pics for you. It's in my big shed............somewhere. When I have a real need for it, I was going to find a better mounting place for it rather than its present monster bracket hanging on the ROPS. 🤔

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
That's exactly how they plumbed in my rear remote on my B2650 with backhoe. The valve is also mounted on the ROPS. It's kind of a big and bulky setup. I have to remove it to install my cab for the winter. I really don't have a use for it yet, so it stays off. I have to remove the hose to the sump and cap it off. The other two hoses are the quick connect fittings where the backhoe supply lines hook into.
David
Looking at the parts diagrams I think his backhoe probably has three quick connects:
  1. IN from the tractor
  2. Power Beyond back to the tractor
  3. Tank return to the sump on the tractor
Dan

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Sure but I am working blind. Help me out with some pictures of the actual B23S hookups to the backhoe. I can tell you what the circuits are but exactly how to run the plumbing depends on what is already there. I looked at a parts breakdown and it looks like the backhoe on the BX23S has three hoses between it and the tractor.

Dan

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
My backhoe (BH77) only has two quick connect hose hookups. Hydraulic in and out. Here's some pics of the rear remote that the dealer installed. The pics show the assembly as removed from the tractor. The two hoses connect to my backhoe quick connect couplers. Not shown is the return hose that connects the valve to the oil sump. I leave that on the tractor and just cap it off when the assembly is removed. You'll see the return (out) port capped off on the valve also. The way this is presently set up....I can not have the backhoe operational at the same time with the rear remote.
B2650 ROPS Rear Remote.JPG Hookups to Backhoe Quick Connects.JPG Sump Return Capped Off.JPG Rops Bracket Mount.JPG
The last pic is of the mounting bracket that gets clamped to the rops above the right hand fender. You can see the auxiliary quick connectors pointing straight down and have their rubber plugs in place.

There is a hydraulic "T" fitting off the tractor's sump where the hydraulic "return" hose from the valve is plumbed into.

"Hydraulics" is not my strong point by any means. I'm not sure if there was a reason that the rear remote could not have been installed in "series" with the power beyond circuit to the backhoe's pressure input connection. Is there concern with these valves of possibly too much back pressure developing from the backhoe? Or maybe the installers didn't want to hassle with more complicated hydraulic plumbing? With a hydraulic thumb on the backhoe....it might be nice to have.
David

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
My backhoe (BH77) only has two quick connect hose hookups. Hydraulic in and out. Here's some pics of the rear remote that the dealer installed. The pics show the assembly as removed from the tractor. The two hoses connect to my backhoe quick connect couplers. Not shown is the return hose that connects the valve to the oil sump. I leave that on the tractor and just cap it off when the assembly is removed. You'll see the return (out) port capped off on the valve also. The way this is presently set up....I can not have the backhoe operational at the same time with the rear remote.
View attachment 69419 View attachment 69420 View attachment 69422 View attachment 69423
The last pic is of the mounting bracket that gets clamped to the rops above the right hand fender. You can see the auxiliary quick connectors pointing straight down and have their rubber plugs in place.

There is a hydraulic "T" fitting off the tractor's sump where the hydraulic "return" hose from the valve is plumbed into.

"Hydraulics" is not my strong point by any means. I'm not sure if there was a reason that the rear remote could not have been installed in "series" with the power beyond circuit to the backhoe's pressure input connection. Is there concern with these valves of possibly too much back pressure developing from the backhoe? Or maybe the installers didn't want to hassle with more complicated hydraulic plumbing? With a hydraulic thumb on the backhoe....it might be nice to have.
David
The valve could be installed in series with the backhoe. Connect tractor supply to IN on valve. Connect PB on valve to IN on backhoe. Connect tank port on valve to sump. Connect PB on backhoe to return on tractor.

To remove backhoe simply unplug both backhoe hoses and connect PB on valve to return on tractor.

Dan

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
The valve could be installed in series with the backhoe. Connect tractor supply to IN on valve. Connect PB on valve to IN on backhoe. Connect tank port on valve to sump. Connect PB on backhoe to return on tractor.

To remove backhoe simply unplug both backhoe hoses and connect PB on valve to return on tractor.

Dan
Thanks Dan! I came to the same conclusion after I had installed my 3rd function kit myself. But I also wondered if there was another reason that the dealer used to just make it an "either/or" hookup between the rear remote and the backhoe. If I can find a better mounting spot (other than the rops), it may get plumbed in permanently like you mentioned.
David

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Thanks Dan! I came to the same conclusion after I had installed my 3rd function kit myself. But I also wondered if there was another reason that the dealer used to just make it an "either/or" hookup between the rear remote and the backhoe. If I can find a better mounting spot (other than the rops), it may get plumbed in permanently like you mentioned.
David
Am I missing something? It doesn't look either/or to me. Don't the couplers all match up as is?

Dan

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
Am I missing something? It doesn't look either/or to me. Don't the couplers all match up as is?

Dan
I probably could daisy chain it all together if the hose lengths would allow it once everything was mounted. I've only used the rear remote on my corn planter once each spring so it's not a big issue. Afterwards, its always in the way sitting up on the rops....so I remove it. I'd like to relocate it under the seat possibly, but my seat has to swivel to operate the backhoe from. For the time being there's too many issues to engineer for something so seldom used. Hence, the rear remote is easy to just remove from tractor until needed again.
The swivel seat function for the backhoe is probably the reason the dealer had to install it the way they did.