3rd function/diverter/remotes?

Quagmire33

Equipment
B6200-d-hst. Great bend 220 FEL
May 27, 2014
Central Mass, USA
Hi everyone. I’m thinking of building a grapple for my FEL on B6200. Curious if anyone has added 3rd function/diverter/remotes on their old B. Looking for usability and cost and ease of install. Not going to lie here, I don’t know much at all about hydraulics. I do have power beyond off my loader valve which looks like it goes to the three point hitch. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Right now I’m leaning towards a diverter valve tied into my bucket curl. But would also love some day to have a hydraulic top link for my box blade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quagmire33

Equipment
May 27, 2014
Central Mass, USA
I did not know a darn thing about hydraulics, I'm not a smart man... but I mounted a 3 spool valve, just above my FEL and it was no problem.

I have a grapple, Top link and hydraulic side link... I don't have a problem using a another spool vs. pushing a button.

None of them are cheap... and are about the same price. There's plenty written about it...

Would you have a pic of your setup ? And maybe what valve you got ? I appreciate the reply. I’ve been reading what I can and finding different YouTube vids to watch. So many different valves and options I don’t know which style valve I need. The only thing I think i have figured out is the diverter valve.

Quagmire33

Equipment
May 27, 2014
Central Mass, USA
That’s an awesome setup. I really like it and may just go this route. But still have to figure out how to plumb it all.

Quagmire33

Equipment
May 27, 2014
Central Mass, USA

This is what my valve looks like now. I could probably make a bracket and mount another valve on top.

So it’s an open center valve ? Did you just go from power beyond to the pressure side of the new valve and Tee into the tank side ? My power beyond now feeds the three point hitch.

I would think a two spool would be good for what I would want.

Quagmire33

Equipment
May 27, 2014
Central Mass, USA
Thanks for all the pics. It’s all starting to make more sense now.

Yeah, my valve is crowded. It’s an aftermarket loader (great bend 220). So all the connections are on the loader valve and not separated 4&4 like it looks like yours are.

But I still think I can mount the valve close. You may be right about just spending the extra $$ now than wish later I had one more valve.

It’s a good little machine that I’ve had for about 4 years. And I think for around $500 I can add the grapple which will make it that much more versatile. Here’s another pic of the tractor a little further back. Don’t have many pics of the tractor. Going to have to rectify that.

Quagmire33

Equipment
May 27, 2014
Central Mass, USA
Good point. When I actually start this project, I’ll have to find out what size fittings I currently have and try to keep it all consistent. Especially when ordering the valve and cylinder. I’d hate to order everything and have each part (existing, valve, and cylinder) different fitting sizes.

I’m getting pretty excited about it. So hopefully it’ll get started before spring. Although I don’t have a covered place to work on it, so it’s going to be weather permitting.

If I can get all my ducks in a row and start ordering parts, that’ll be a good start. Then pick up some steel and start cutting. My friend and neighbor is a mechanical engineer and used to work for woods equipment, and wain-Roy. He offered to draw the grapple for me. Where I was just going to use cardboard for templates.

Quagmire33

Equipment
May 27, 2014
Central Mass, USA
Good idea with the garden hose. I do plan on adding a thumb type deal. I’ve been calling it a grapple, but I plan on adding it to the top of my bucket. Much like the one you have.

I think it’ll be a fun project to build one. And I think I can do it for less than half the cost of buying a thumb.

Quagmire33

Equipment
May 27, 2014
Central Mass, USA
Well, took the first step and ordered a valve today. Thought long and hard about 2 or 3 spool, and ended up ordering the 2 spool. I think I’ll be content with just the 2. One for the thumb and one for future (maybe a hydraulic top link)

Quagmire33

Equipment
May 27, 2014
Central Mass, USA
Figured out how to mount it today and made a bracket. Only had some angle iron kicking around, so i cut it up and made what I needed.

Randy K

Equipment
BX1860, G2160
Jan 10, 2016
Fond du Lac, WI USA
depending on your tractor/loader, Kubota / Landpride make 3rd function kits that are relatively reasonable, and very clean and compressed. an electric hydr valve is bolted on (near or on) the loader cross bar. the hoses from the valve to the bucket are plumbed into the valve, a set of hoses then go from the valve to the bucket cylinders. a 2nd set of hoses from the valve then go to your 3rd function (the grapple or ???). a switch is wired to the valve normally in the joy stick so it is handy to operate. w/the switch off, you curl your bucket like normal, switch on, you pivot your grapple. really nice set up. anyone interested should contact your local dealer.
again, it is called a 3rd function kit.

Quagmire33

Equipment
May 27, 2014
Central Mass, USA

Bought some steel at my local welding shop and had him cnc out the tines. One step closer. Of course I have today off from work and it’s raining. I don’t have a garage so I do all my work in the back yard.... guess I’ll work on the layout and geometry in the cellar.

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Looks awesome..... very informative thread FOR NOW...

Say for now cause Like 100% of all the pic hosting sights so far over time...... tapatalk will stop hosting or demand payment to continue hosting (similar to "photobucket's ransom" of pics they hosted for free but now demand big $$) Like all the other times this turns awesome threads like this one into useless trivia cause pictures will no longer exist.

So Please upload your pics to this board. You may not be aware cause tatapatalk does not explain it well... but your pics are hosted by them. They are NOT uploaded to here as might think. Hit edit of your post and look at the urls.

Again... do us all a favor, and most importantly future readers; whom can learn a lot from this great thread, a big favor and upload your pics to here instead of leaving them hosted at tapatalk. It is Easy Peasy

Quagmire33

Equipment
May 27, 2014
Central Mass, USA

Had to do a little redesign in order to get the range of motion I wanted with the tines opening wide enough. This is just tacked together now. And the mounts on the outside tines will be removed. Just used them for locating the crossmember. I may modify the center tine so there are still three across the cutting edge. With this setup the tip of the tines open 30” from the cutting edge. Leaving the center tine in under the piston only let the grapple open 22”.

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
I'll guarantee you will need that 3rd tine sooner or later. Enjoy watching the progress!

Quagmire33

Equipment
May 27, 2014
Central Mass, USA

Modified center tine to keep it clear of the piston. I’ll add a couple of gussets to stiffen it up.

Quagmire33

Equipment
May 27, 2014
Central Mass, USA

All welded together and a quick spray bomb to try and keep the rust away. Next will be getting lines made and hooking up the hydraulics.

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
It***8217;s finished. Not sure how I can post a video here but try this link to my Facebook. I posted a little video of turning over my compost pile.
https://www.facebook.com/just.josh.7/posts/10155197219980458

hopefully soon folk will realize how bad tapatalk is for bulletin board's

anyway.... link might be good but your settings on your facebook page won't allow public viewing, or it just might be a bad link.

As mentioned earlier... please stop using tapatalk to post pics unless you plan to go back and use the url to upload the pics to this board.

Quagmire33

Equipment
May 27, 2014
Central Mass, USA
hopefully soon folk will realize how bad tapatalk is for bulletin board's

anyway.... link might be good but your settings on your facebook page won't allow public viewing, or it just might be a bad link.

As mentioned earlier... please stop using tapatalk to post pics unless you plan to go back and use the url to upload the pics to this board.

I have no idea how to upload a video directly to this page. And pretty sure I’m incapable of figuring out the “easy peasy” way to upload pics. This page isn’t very moble user friendly which is why I use tap-a-talk.

However, I have gone and changed my privacy to “public” on my Facebook video I posted, so hopefully the link will now work. But here is the link again, which I guess will now be posted to this site and not hosted my Tapatalk
https://www.facebook.com/just.josh.7/posts/10155197219980458