3rd function addition advice

aaluck

Equipment
L4400HST, Bush Hog 276, RDTH60, Speeco PHD, etc
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
I'm thinking about adding a third function to my tractor. Can anyone suggest a good quality maker, or are they all about the same? I see them on Amazon for about $500.00 but don't know if I want to 'chance' one from there or spend extra for something maybe a bit better.

Any advice or opinions would be appreciated.

busterja21

Oct 12, 2019
colorado
I went with summit hydraulics, the kit included everything needed, they shipped it same day, and their support is great.

Reactions: 1 user

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
My suggestion is to get the installation instructions for your particular loader. These are the instructions covering the loader being connected/bolted to the tractor.

Go to your dealer armed with a USB stick and beg or pay.

This installation document has important third function installation details about connecting into the tractor/loader's power beyond circuit, hose routing and more.

Once you have studied this document, you will be in a much better position to assess Kubota vs other kits.

Dave

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
Before I purchased my Summit kit, they happily emailed me the kit's install instructions in pdf format. Assuming the other makers might also. WR Long did. Those sets of instructions were virtually identical with only the letterhead/front page being a little different.

Comparing the different install instructions for your particular tractor may help you decide.

Motion

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota MX5100HST/FEL
Aug 17, 2020
Mandeville Louisiana
I recently installed Summit's TFK5 kit on my MX5100 with a Ansung loader and am well satisfied with the quality. As always do as you feel is best but I suggest buying directly from Summit to insure that you get the property kit for your tractor, as others have said their support is great. When you place your order confirm which type hose connectors you desire to utilize, they will credit/add accordingly. Another suggesting is to have some spilt wire loom to make a better job of protecting the wires, consider picking a power source other than the positive side of the battery, I prefer to only power the 3rd function when the tractor is running. Just my .02

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
A bunch of cute little Kubotas
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
The WR Long and the Landpride 3rd function kits are easy to install on the non cab models.

Arkansasdawg

Equipment
MX5400, grapple, Bad Boy Rotary Mower
Oct 7, 2020
I had the 3rd function valve installed on my MX5400 before I bought it. But I have a question about the switch. Mine is a rocker switch so you either push the upper or lower half of the rocker to operate the Grapple. My question is that mine is wired such that hitting the Upper half of the switch closes the grapple and the lower half opens the grapple. Is this wired correctly? I can certainly learn this but it seems most intuitive to hit the upper to Open "UP" the grapple and the lower switch should close "Down" the grapple. How is yours wired?

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
I had the 3rd function valve installed on my MX5400 before I bought it. But I have a question about the switch. Mine is a rocker switch so you either push the upper or lower half of the rocker to operate the Grapple. My question is that mine is wired such that hitting the Upper half of the switch closes the grapple and the lower half opens the grapple. Is this wired correctly? I can certainly learn this but it seems most intuitive to hit the upper to Open "UP" the grapple and the lower switch should close "Down" the grapple. How is yours wired?
You can do like Drew said. Mine was the exact same way as yours. I just swapped the male and female couplers on my grapple and I had a brush/post puller I did the same thing to.

Motion

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota MX5100HST/FEL
Aug 17, 2020
Mandeville Louisiana
You can either switch hoses as others have said or swap the connectors on the solenoids, which ever is easier and seems right to you.