3pt disk question

Trapper Bob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4701, Wicked grapple, 6’ bush hog, pallet forks, 7’ box blade, 6’ Wicked bucket
Jan 17, 2022
Andover, KS
I have 3 wildlife food plots that are about 1.25 to 1.5 acres each. All 3 are anything but square. I want to get a better disk around 6 to 7 ft. Because of the odd shaped plots, I have considered making a tongue for the disk that would attach to the 3pt on the disk & draw bar on the tractor to give me a pivot point. When finished with the disking, I would remove the tongue, re-attach the disk to the 3pt on tractor, lift & move to next plot. Repeat.
I do have a rear remote so I could operate a set of wheels under the disk. I just figured a tongue would be easier to build then a hydraulic cartage system. All of the commercial disks of this sort are to large for my L4701. Any thoughts?

Trapper Bob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4701, Wicked grapple, 6’ bush hog, pallet forks, 7’ box blade, 6’ Wicked bucket
Jan 17, 2022
Andover, KS
My L47 works with a small disc that the 3pt can lift no problem, and I disc 10 acres in about 8hrs.
What I meant was being able to turn 60 to 90 degrees to work the irregular shaped area. I don’t believe I can do that with a disk on a 3pt.

ayak

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3301 HST
Feb 16, 2018
WV
Ran into this scenario just yesterday.
Was easier for my particular situation just to square it off as needed and then go back and forth to do the leftover quarter-moon slices.
Beats tearing up a lift arm, right? 😁
This small (<1 acre) plot took about 3hrs using the 6.5’ 3-point disc harrow shown in the pic.

5ED407B8-6CE5-47AF-8286-362E23857036.jpeg

D2E7DC11-D361-414D-8D84-818DE2FEF4DF.jpeg

Last edited:

woodman55

Equipment
L6060HSTC, RTV 1100
May 15, 2022
canada
You are correct in thinking you can make tighter turns with a trailing unit compared to a 3pt unit. But farmers that use trailing equipment still have headlands (turning areas), and they back in to the corners when needed to fix them up . Weather it is a large tractor in a large field or a small tractor in a small field, the same principles apply. I think you would do just as well using the 3pt as you would converting to trailing. I used to use a 7 ft, 3pt disk on a 40hp and I did fine, it was a bit light on the front but I just left the loader on. Not trying to be negative, just do not see a real benefit to switching back and forth. Hope this helps.

Reactions: 1 user

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
I have 3 wildlife food plots that are about 1.25 to 1.5 acres each. All 3 are anything but square. I want to get a better disk around 6 to 7 ft. Because of the odd shaped plots, I have considered making a tongue for the disk that would attach to the 3pt on the disk & draw bar on the tractor to give me a pivot point. When finished with the disking, I would remove the tongue, re-attach the disk to the 3pt on tractor, lift & move to next plot. Repeat.
I do have a rear remote so I could operate a set of wheels under the disk. I just figured a tongue would be easier to build then a hydraulic cartage system. All of the commercial disks of this sort are to large for my L4701. Any thoughts?
Wonder if you could find an old, pre-3pt disk? We had one, about 5', if I remember. It was hinged between the sections, so it would take the curves. It didn't have wheels, but you could easily take the 'set' out and tow it home, leaving just shallow slices in the earth behind you.

As an aside, you could pull the front or rear section alone if you needed a slight swale or levee.

But it would be a PITA to trailer.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
That trailing set up works fine going in circles until you want to get in a corner. Then you have to back in to get close.

Reactions: 1 users

Trapper Bob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jan 17, 2022
Andover, KS
Sounds to me like I need to modify my technique, not my equipment. With my old set up, I could trail a broadcast spreader with fertilizer behind the disk, while working the ground. I saved a few passes over the ground that way.
1655736638411.jpeg

Trapper Bob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jan 17, 2022
Andover, KS
Ran into this scenario just yesterday.
Was easier for my particular situation just to square it off as needed and then go back and forth to do the leftover quarter-moon slices.
Beats tearing up a lift arm, right? 😁
This small (<1 acre) plot took about 3hrs using the 6.5’ 3-point disc harrow shown in the pic.

View attachment 82081
View attachment 82082
You have exactly the type disk I am looking for. I have not decided on the width yet, but 6.5 might be a good compromise between maneuverability & size.
Currently, I just turn a corner & the disk follows. I may need to learn to lift the disk when approaching a corner, turn, back into the corner, drop the disk, take off again. I will not be able to trail my broadcaster behind the disk any more.

hedgerow

Jan 2, 2015
Malcolm NE
Years ago I did a fair amount of food plots for hire. Used a small Agco tractor with a three point mounted four foot one way disc with a electric driven broadcaster mounted on it and pulled a five foot wide harrow section behind the disc. That set up worked great. You just make the food plot work to your equipment.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
My dad built a carrier for our big disk. I tried to find a picture of one but I found this:

I have a homemade implement carrier that I use to transport my drag disk and springtooth. It has an axle on the back and about 8 feet between the axle and tongue. The frame has about 3 1/2ft clearance underneath it. It has two rods with cranks on the end that run along each side of the frame, attached to each rod is two pieces of cable with hooks on the end. To transport the disk you have to move it over the disk by hand and then hook it to your tractor or truck. Then you just hook the hooks on each gang disks and then turn the cranks and lift it up and then your ready to go. Hope this

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
some just make the plot follow the disc..........
I used tandem drag discs in the 90x400 veggie plot for 10-11 years,never worried that the corners were 'rounded'.

Trapper Bob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jan 17, 2022
Andover, KS
I appreciate all the responses. I can modify the shape of 1 plot, but the other 2 have areas locked in by creeks & drainages on 3 sides. I believe changing my technique will help the most (gotta be flexible). I will definitely mount an electric ATV broadcaster on the disk I choose, allowing me to work in the fertilizer & control the seeding.
I’m an old dog, but I like new tricks.
Thanks again.