3 pt. lever wont work properly.

JWChavarria

Equipment
Kubota, L245DT, blade, brush mower, sprayer, spreader, aireater, roller, tiller
Apr 11, 2012
Muscatine, Iowa
I have a 78 model DTL245. Recently the 3pt lever will not remain in operateing position (where you set it). It wants to fall all the way forward or in the down position. Also it is real loose. Another problem, i dont know if it is related, is that when it is cold weather below 20 degrees, when first started it will not turn to the left. It will turn right ok. After warm up and 15 20 minutes of operating it will work fine. I recently replaced the brake pads and cleaned the hydralic reservior and replaced the filter and oil. The above problems were an issue prior to that repair. My questions are, is there some adjustment on the lever and what could be causeing the steering issue. Thanks in advance.

MagKarl

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 2, 2010
Olympia, WA
Down on the shaft where the 3 point control lever attaches there are a pair of jam nuts that preload some Belleville washers and help hold the lever in place. Need two end wrenches and a couple minutes is all.

JWChavarria

Equipment
Apr 11, 2012
Muscatine, Iowa
Thank-you so much for the advice. You guys are an invaluable resource! When it warms up a tad -16 today, ill bring the old girl in and fix her up. Glad its a simple adjustment. Should have caught that. Any ideas on the cold steering problem? When its cold like this at start-up it is rock solid will not turn left. It will turn right ok, but not left until it warms up and works for about 15-20 minutes?:confused:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
When I got my L3450 the spring washers and been replace with regular flat washers and the control was almost rusted in place, took me 4 hours to undo the previous repairs, now with a couple new washers it's smooth as silk!

On the steering is it power assisted or manual?

JWChavarria

Equipment
Apr 11, 2012
Muscatine, Iowa
Im not sure wolfman, I can spin the tractor around pretty easy with the heal of my hand when everything is working properly. Im going to have to say yes it is. How would one check. I have all the manuals.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Hydraulic lines going to the steering box, hydraulic cylinder attached to the steering arms are 2 ways to tell.

JWChavarria

Equipment
Apr 11, 2012
Muscatine, Iowa
3 pt lever fixed. Easy cheesy. Thank-you. Im now sure the steering on the l245dt is manual steering. The no left turn issue in zero degree temps, is puzzling. Moved snow today temps were low thirtys tractor functioned properly. Wondering how steering operates. Lever and gear only? Or is there some type of hydraylic assit? Out to get my repair manuals to see if i can figure that out. Any help ?:confused:

JWChavarria

Equipment
Apr 11, 2012
Muscatine, Iowa
Yes Mr King, that is the answer i have been looking for. The sector shaft seal has been out and i dont believe there is the proper amount of oil in that box any more. Along with the shaft colume is rusted away at the upper bushing allowing water to enter through the shaft tube down to the box. I dont think there is any major damage (yet) but a rebuild is in order. And with these detailed instructions should be easy THANK-YOU! need to look up the parts and estimate the repair. I would like to replace the colume tube. New may be pricey, any ideas where to find one?. Thanks again.

bky

Nov 8, 2009
ky
Thank you wolfman , replacing the spring washers and nuts solved my problem. well worth the 7 dollars and change on parts. but i will tell you the back nut was a pain to remove the threads on the nut were rolled over making it tough to get off.
sure will making the 3 point easier.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Glad that you have it somewhat figured out.

The dealer may be able to get the parts, or you may be able to order them online from Messicks. The link to Weaver's (below) shows the parts you are looking for so they may have them.

You can also buy the whole thing on E-bay for ~$500

http://www.compactractorparts.com/kubota_parts-03.html#kubota_parts_steering

Have you used the online parts on the Kubota corporation website?
Easy way to get part numbers to look for online or from the dealer.

(And please use Russell)

Last edited: