3 pt hitch and mower deck separation

Jerseygirl01

Equipment
BX1860, mmm , fel, 3pth
Jan 9, 2016
Findley Lake NY
I can't seem to move these two separately. When I try to raise the mower deck arm, the 3 pt hitch goes up or down with them. Any suggestions? It's a bx1860.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I take it they moved separately before? What changed between the time that it was separate and now? Is there a valve that controls the two ?

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
Can't be done as the 3PH lifts the MMM deck. You can lock the deck in the TOP position and operate the 3PH, but not the other way around.

Jerseygirl01

Equipment
BX1860, mmm , fel, 3pth
Jan 9, 2016
Findley Lake NY
There's supposed to be a speed control knob for the 3pth that also has a lock position that holds it at whatever height its at when applied. No soap??

CountryBumkin

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370 w/LA243, Bucket, Grapple, QA Pallet Forks, 60" MMM, rear blade & rake
Sep 27, 2015
Central FL
There's supposed to be a speed control knob for the 3pth that also has a lock position that holds it at whatever height its at when applied. No soap??
The mower "height control" is the one with the "Top" hold position. The other control knob is the 3PH lowering speed control - it does have a "no flow" position which will keep the 3PH from lowering, but that will also keep the mower from lowering.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
Try adjusting the flow control knob a little more open (turn counter-clockwise) or closed (turn clockwise). I have adjusted mine to make the 3 point come up faster than the mower deck and the 3 point goes down slower than the mower deck does. It may take some experimentation but you should be able to make the mower deck drop faster than the 3 point. I have the same tractor that you have so yours should operate the same as mine does. Also, it may help if you try to use the 1/4" drop or raise feature. The mower deck seems to react faster than the 3 point does especially if you don't have any weight on the 3 point.

If that does not do the trick for you, then you can pin the 3 point in a locked position and when you do that only the mower deck will move no matter how long you keep the lever in the raised or lowered position. If you are not familiar with how to pin the 3 point in the locked position, I can take some pictures and show you.

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
The 3ph raises and lowers the mmm. The mmm can be lifted up by hand if the 3ph is down but the mmm can NOT go down faster than the 3ph. Nor can the mmm go down if the 3ph is up. The knob in the center ,front of the seat only controls the drop or down speed of the 3ph. The 3ph can go down while the mmm stays up but only if the mmm is raised all the way up and the adjustment knob is turned to the lock position. Most bx's are not adjusted right for this to work. You allmost have to have the rear wheels off to see all the linkage to work.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
The 3ph raises and lowers the mmm. The mmm can be lifted up by hand if the 3ph is down but the mmm can NOT go down faster than the 3ph. Nor can the mmm go down if the 3ph is up. The knob in the center ,front of the seat only controls the drop or down speed of the 3ph. The 3ph can go down while the mmm stays up but only if the mmm is raised all the way up and the adjustment knob is turned to the lock position. Most bx's are not adjusted right for this to work. You allmost have to have the rear wheels off to see all the linkage to work.
I have to differ with you. You may not be aware of it but the MMM can go down faster than the 3 point. Mine is adjusted to do so. Also, if you are not aware, the 3 point can be pinned in place so that the MMM can operate without the 3 point moving.

I have attached a picture that shows the 3 point arm on the right pinned in the locked position. The 3 point arm on the left is in the normal position. With the 3 point arms in the position as shown on the right, the 3 point cannot operate either up or down. With the 3 point arms locked as in the position shown on the right the MMM can operate normally. Actually, I should clarify this a little. The 3 point arms themselves are operating but the implement attaching arms are not moving when they are locked to the tractor frame. I apologize for using non-technical terminology but I really don't know what else to call each of the parts. Anyway, the picture should be self explanatory.

I cannot get a small enough file size video to show you the MMM dropping faster than the 3 point or I would show you that too. Sorry but the file size of the video I took is too large to post here.

Attachments

CountryBumkin

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370 w/LA243, Bucket, Grapple, QA Pallet Forks, 60" MMM, rear blade & rake
Sep 27, 2015
Central FL
Also, if you are not aware, the 3 point can be pinned in place so that the MMM can operate without the 3 point moving.
The "pinning" of the 3PH is to keep the lower arms (lower links) raised out of the way when not in use. The actual 3PH lifting arm (the arm circled on the left in the photo) is still free to move up and down.

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
If you look at the 2 arms that come out the rear housing, the arms that hook to the lift arms, on the left one, (faceing forward) there is an arm that extends out to the left and hooks to the linkage that goes to the mmm lift mechanism. Those 2 allways go up and down together at the same speed with one exception. If the deck height knob is in the locked position and the deck adjuster pin is resting in the locked position then the 3ph linkage can go up and down by itself. If you disconnect the rear part of the 3ph and lock or pin it to the tractor frame, then yes, the external parts do not move, but the actuall lifting mechanism still goes up and down when you move the lift handle

snowpiler

Equipment
bx1860,fel,mmm,3pth
Feb 6, 2016
Findley Lake, NY
My wife (Jerseygirl01) and I purchased a used Kubota recently to assist in chores around the property. I took the mower deck off so I could use the tractor to haul snow (we get 150 - 300 ins. of snow seasonly). The problem we encountered was stated above. The solution was to run the mower hitch arms up, turn the cutter height knob to TOP and run the 3 pt which down to normal level and turn its speed control knob all the way clock wise to LOCK. Problem solved. I couldn't have done it without all of your input. Thank you so much. Also, another problem with greasing the FEL was solved through the forum with the recommendation of replacing my grease gun nozzle with one from LocknLube - great invention. I can now grease the little bugger with white gloves on if I wish. Again thanks to you all.