3-Point lift: Service, repair, or user error?

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
In following forum etiquette, I'm going to post each (seemingly) separate question in a separate thread, but with the same intro.

I have a sad little 89 B7100D. I just bought it last week, and today was the first chance to put it into use. Generally it is pretty much what I thought it was, but there are issues I've noticed. It's been many years since I ran a tractor, and never one of these, so it could be just user error.

Problem: 3-Point lift isn't working like it should.

It seems to travel too high and jacks up the back of the seat if you don't stop it first. Not sure if that's adjustable, but that could be the non-stock seat.

It also seems to strain at the top, like it's not bypassing? From what I recall, I should be able to just put it in "up" and not worry about it. Is that user error?

Also, the "creep up" on the lift is not at all smooth. You hear a bit of grinding (what?), and it's pretty much full on/off. As long as you don't try to creep/ease it, everything is fine.

Any suggestions?

big boy

Equipment
1980 b7100hstd mmm box scraper
Jun 7, 2013
washoe valley nevada washoe
chect oil level in box should have dip stick also there are stop tabs that are adjustable on right side on little arm connecting to lift an lowere hand arm that can be set for lift an lower positions

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Thanks. Just came back in to post that I found the little adjustable rod-clamp thing. I can't believe I looked at it earlier and didn't realize how it worked. Sometimes you (or at least I) "look but don't see". This time I raised it standing beside the unit and it was very obvious.

I'll check the fluid level.

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Well, I think I've got part of my 3 point issue fixed. The limit transfer rod (or whatever it's called) was in sad shape. The limit clamps were just loose, it had bent about 30* about 25% down from the top end, and the triangle bracket was not only torqued about 15* around, it had sheared one of it's bolts inside the lift arm (basically just flopping). That poor thing didn't have a chance of working.

So, while swapping the backward tires, I removed the fender too so I had access to drill and remove the broken bolt. Only thing I had to fit that metric thread was an over long cap screw I cut down. The de-torqued the triangle bracket and hammered flat. Straightened the transfer bar. Replaced missing washers and mangled cotter pins. Other than adjusting the limits, job done.

Now to figure out why it does not shift into lift mode smoothly. As mentioned, it engages fully without issue. But trying to feather it doesn't work at all. I seem to recall that was possible on my old MF years ago, but maybe that's just age and time? Should I be able to feather it up on the B7100D (gear)?

James Williams

Equipment
B7100, brush hog
Oct 15, 2010
Dallas, Texas
My B7100D is 10 years older than yours, but it has no feathering ability on the three point hitch. It goes up full speed until the mechanism you repaired stops it or you return the lever to neutral. You can also use that to set it to only drop to a certain height.

If it is working, kubotabooks.com should have a PDF of the owners manual you can download.

James

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Thanks. So chalk that one up to user error.

But 10 years older? I thought production started in '85, and mine is an '89 (I think).

I've downloaded the user manual, thanks. Now to print it...

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Thanks. So chalk that one up to user error.

But 10 years older? I thought production started in '85, and mine is an '89 (I think).

I've downloaded the user manual, thanks. Now to print it...
Kubota started building the b7100 gear drive in 76.
The other posters are correct- the B7100 doesn't have position control. It is up or down. You can feather it yourself by raising-stopping-raising-stopping- it works. It just takes getting used to. The noise is hydraulic fluid, and may be annoying, but it is normal to the tractor.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...=_6uy1BLSn652IKKYu6H-VQ&bvm=bv.47534661,d.dmg

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...FCNC_5jRP7WcG2XBQ&sig2=2Ks9ts4FV7bnNI9nHEZBUw

Last edited:

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Oops, I meant mine is a '79. Production on the gear drive *stopped* in 85. I looked up the sn originally to find the date by using that very site. But somewhere along the way my brain shifted it 10 years, so I've been saying '89, which is clearly not correct. So I guess ours is the same age. My apologies.