3 point lever not staying in place

kenrevo

Equipment
B9200
Oct 28, 2019
MA
I have a B9200 that I've been fixing and am stuck on the last issue. The 3pt hitch control lever will move on it's own and stop about half want down, around the 4 mark. This is the position when the hitch is all the way down. For example, I start using the tractor with the lever and hit all the way up and after 10 minutes the lever is in this position. Just to be clear this is the control lever and not the hitch if I close the restrictor valve the hitch will stay all the way up, even with an implement but the lever will move to this position. The lift power seems fine.

I looked though the WSM and couldn't find anything that would point to the problem. I'm guessing it is an issue with the control valve but don't have any idea where to start. Anyone have suggestions on whether it is an adjustable setting, o-ring/ gasket, or just worn out parts?

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
I'm thinking there's a friction adjustment near the pivot where the rod that the lever operates goes into the side of the transmission. IIRC, the lever doesn't connect directly to the spool operating shaft, but rather pushes or turns an isolating linkage. That's a long lever, and any vibration is going to make it drop down. The friction adjustment is on the LX series, and apparently, the LX is just a re-labeled B. I can't imagine Kubota re-inventing that wheel. It may just be a matter of tweaking one bolt to increase the friction. Just tighten it up enough so that you have to actually push the lever down, but not so much that it's hard to do. If the lever is actually moving the 3PH, the 3PH is regulating position, and the flow restrictor will actually hold the 3PH up, I'm of the opinion that nothing's wrong with the valve. The flow restrictor is actually a separate valve, though, in the return to tank line of the lowering end of the spool valve for the lift. I'm not an expert by any means, but I have done my share of work around proportional valves and other hydraulic wizardry in heavy industry.

ken erickson

Equipment
B7100 hst, 2650 front mount snowblower, L2501 hst qa loader
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
I doubt this will apply to your problem but thought I would share anyways.
My three point lever started acting wonky in that it would not return to a neutral position and when operating it would "kick" out of the center position. My tractor is a B7100hst.
I had been lubing the rod with the adjustable stops that goes thru the barrel but NOT the barrel itself. The yellow arrow points to a tiny lube hole that I had missed. The barrel could not rotate on its axis and was binding on the rod with the adjustment stops.
DSC00314.jpg

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
It does sound like a lack of friction on the handle pivot point. If tightening doesn't help find a parts breakdown for the three point control. Perhaps something like a spring or friction washer is missing.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Every now and then, an old blind squirrel finds an acorn .....

I looked closer at my LX today while washing about 200 pounds of mud off. I was very close in my description. The lever just pivots on a stud that sticks out of the side of the tranny. The actual valve control rod is very short and barely moves at all. Then there's some sort of magic with other linkage that goes to the lift arm on the right which is how it regulates the height of the 3PH with the handle. A little bit of smoke and mirrors, but fairly simple. There's a nylock nut holding the lever between two friction pads with what looks to be a bell washer to compress them on the end of the lever. Looked like it was something like 17-19 mm in size. It's just forward of the RH lift arm.

Good luck, and hope we've steered you in the right direction.

kenrevo

Equipment
B9200
Oct 28, 2019
MA
Thanks for the suggestions. The nut is tight but there are 2 spring washer I'm going to look at.

spoon059

Equipment
1988 B9200
Mar 18, 2023
Washington, DC
Old thread, but I had the same issue. Took apart the lever at the pivot point, didn't see a way to make spring washers add tension. I ended up getting a magnetic tool bar and using Gorilla glue to hold it to the lever housing. Now instead of tension, it's using magnetism to hold the lever. So far, so good!

Attachments

Reactions: 1 user

Berry

Equipment
B7200HST B2551 Blower Scraper Flail Mower Chipper Log Splitter
Jun 7, 2020
Bancroft Ontario
I have a B9200 that I've been fixing and am stuck on the last issue. The 3pt hitch control lever will move on it's own and stop about half want down, around the 4 mark. This is the position when the hitch is all the way down. For example, I start using the tractor with the lever and hit all the way up and after 10 minutes the lever is in this position. Just to be clear this is the control lever and not the hitch if I close the restrictor valve the hitch will stay all the way up, even with an implement but the lever will move to this position. The lift power seems fine.

I looked though the WSM and couldn't find anything that would point to the problem. I'm guessing it is an issue with the control valve but don't have any idea where to start. Anyone have suggestions on whether it is an adjustable setting, o-ring/ gasket, or just worn out parts?
I had a similar problem with my B7200. As well as being loose, mine also leaked oil out the control arms of the 3 point control unit. Mine has a nut one the end of the control arm along with 3 spring washers. This nut kept coming loose reducing the pressure on the springs that helped to tighten up the arm. I tried replacing with the type of nut that has a nylon insert (locknut) That also came loose as well. I just recently sent the control into the dealer to have the o rings replaced to fix my leaks. Ehen I received the control back , the lever was tighter with new o rings. I also noticed the dealer used a new nut that i found was much tighter in the control arm. I'm not sure if this is a special nut. Now my lever is staying where it should.

kenrevo

Equipment
B9200
Oct 28, 2019
MA
Thanks, that has been my plan but haven't gotten to it. I usually have my backhoe on and forget about the lever. I put the chipper on a couple weeks ago and it reminded me I need to fix it.

When I rebuild it I'll report back.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Old thread, but I had the same issue. Took apart the lever at the pivot point, didn't see a way to make spring washers add tension. I ended up getting a magnetic tool bar and using Gorilla glue to hold it to the lever housing. Now instead of tension, it's using magnetism to hold the lever. So far, so good!
Easy simple proper fix.
Remove one nut replace 2 spring washers and reinstall nut and adjust.
Done and fixed right.
1689971583861.png