3-point hitch basics

Wiseclam

Equipment
BX23S
Feb 26, 2024
Colorado
New member here... apologies for the potentially stupid question... I did search for this but could not find what I am looking for...

I have a BX23S with a #BX2506 3-Point Hitch attached and I really don't understand the importance of tightening or loosening the link arms that stabilize the lower two point hitch arms. Are there times when I'd want these tight and other times loose?

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
When you attach an implement to the 3-point you will tighten up the lower link arms to prevent the implement from swaying side to side while in use.

Wiseclam

Equipment
BX23S
Feb 26, 2024
Colorado
Does tightness matter? Like... lighten it fully versus allow for some sway? Are there applications/uses where tighter is better and others where sway is important or needed?

Thanks for answering.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
You do not want to over-tighten but I do not see any advantage to allowing an implement to sway. You want the implement to be in complete control and the only way to accomplish that is to snug up the adjustment.

Reactions: 1 user

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Does tightness matter? Like... lighten it fully versus allow for some sway? Are there applications/uses where tighter is better and others where sway is important or needed?

Thanks for answer
Yes - adjustment is application specific and to some degree a matter of preference.

Dan

Wiseclam

Equipment
BX23S
Feb 26, 2024
Colorado
You do not want to over-tighten but I do not see any advantage to allowing an implement to sway. You want the implement to be in complete control and the only way to accomplish that is to snug up the adjustment.
Thanks. Super helpful.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
I build a lot of stabilizers to replaced factory ones that have been damaged from using them while adjusted too tightly. It is a common belief that the stabilizers need to be tight, but that's not true. The goal is to control the implement, not immobilize it.
If you don't believe me, go to ANY brand tractor lot, and check the tractors with telescoping stabilizers. They always have a marginal amount of play in them. They do not hold an implement tight, they hold it
steady.
Any of you folks with telescoping stabilizers on your tractors- how much play do you have once the implement is installed and the stabilizers are pinned? On new tractors, you'll have about an inch of side to side play. On stabilizer sets that are worn in, an inch or two. That's how they're designed. The 3 point hitch goes through some changes as the arms rise and lower- the arms twist, especially if they have bends in them, and the length from stabilizer mounting points can change marginally.
Stabilizers are not designed to be absolutely tight. It can work, but it can also cause damages and inconveniences.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I build a lot of stabilizers to replaced factory ones that have been damaged from using them while adjusted too tightly. It is a common belief that the stabilizers need to be tight, but that's not true. The goal is to control the implement, not immobilize it.
If you don't believe me, go to ANY brand tractor lot, and check the tractors with telescoping stabilizers. They always have a marginal amount of play in them. They do not hold an implement tight, they hold it
steady.
Or open up a plowing instruction manual.

Dan

Amarillo

Equipment
MX6000 w/ LA1065, tiller, disc, core aerator, box blade, shredder, Blast Sprayer
Jan 10, 2023
Amarillo, TX
steady.
Any of you folks with telescoping stabilizers on your tractors- how much play do you have once the implement is installed and the stabilizers are pinned? On new tractors, you'll have about an inch of side to side play. On stabilizer sets that are worn in, an inch or two. That's how they're designed. The 3 point hitch goes through some changes as the arms rise and lower- the arms twist, especially if they have bends in them, and the length from stabilizer mounting points can change marginally.
Stabilizers are not designed to be absolutely tight. It can work, but it can also cause damages and inconveniences.
I have a newer MX6000 with telescoping lower links. Yes they do have some play.

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Lots incl. B and L kubotas
Dec 2, 2019
E.
too loose and arms/implement may actually contact tires and make tire damage. If tire contact can be made then too loose.

if too tight then no "give" if implement is shocked. think about a small plow hitting a buried rock. a little give spreads out the shock. Too loose it could swing and damage the tire. too tight and full shock transferred to arms/tractor and stuff could break. A little give will help dissipate the unexpected shock.

if work needs to be very specific and precise like using a rear blade to scrape alongside the edge of a cement driveway then slow and tight maybe warranted.

at least this is basic stuff they taught us in grade school.

Reactions: 1 users

Wiseclam

Equipment
BX23S
Feb 26, 2024
Colorado
too loose and arms/implement may actually contact tires and make tire damage. If tire contact can be made then too loose.

if too tight then no "give" if implement is shocked. think about a small plow hitting a buried rock. a little give spreads out the shock. Too loose it could swing and damage the tire. too tight and full shock transferred to arms/tractor and stuff could break. A little give will help dissipate the unexpected shock.

if work needs to be very specific and precise like using a rear blade to scrape alongside the edge of a cement driveway then slow and tight maybe warranted.

Thanks!

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
New member here... apologies for the potentially stupid question... I did search for this but could not find what I am looking for...

I have a BX23S with a #BX2506 3-Point Hitch attached and I really don't understand the importance of tightening or loosening the link arms that stabilize the lower two point hitch arms. Are there times when I'd want these tight and other times loose?
Example. When going from flat ground to a slight side incline if my finishing deck is really loose it will slide sideways and give you a real surprise as the tail wags the dog. Too tight and I get metal on metal wear at the connections.

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
My B2650 operator's manual has a section that describes when to use the oval holes on the stabilizers to allow for play on certain listed implement types. The sway looseness needed depends on the implement, some need serious play. Listed are a few, like moldboard plow, disc plow, subsoiler...

Not sure if your BX23s has the Hydraulic Control Unit Use Reference Chart in its manual, I'll take a screenshot of the chart in B2650 manual.

Note the Telescopic Stabilizers column...

EDIT I noticed the [B3350SU] sections have stabilizers (link arms?) that look like your BX2506 kit?

Screenshot from 2024-02-26 21-23-58.png

Last edited:

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
The

They taught tractor implement adjustment in grade school?

Reactions: 1 users

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Lots incl. B and L kubotas
Dec 2, 2019
E.
The

They taught tractor implement adjustment in grade school?
absolutely... the board of rate payers made darn sure all the boys went to school to at least level 6. girls not so much. All things agriculture and the 3-r's whether we liked it or not.

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
As stated by some others; 3-point side to side sway is determined by the implement that you are using on the 3-point. Generally, you WANT swing. Lots of it.

Respectfully, tail wagging the dog is miniscule compared to ground forces applied to sway bar links.

Please remember this:

If you have a rear implement in float, and make a tight turn, the weight and power of the tractor in a turn and the weight of the implement, and ground forces of all of it, is transferred to your sway links. Directly to your sway links! The tighter they are, the worse it is.

As a general rule, keep your links loose, or tight enough, to keep them off of your rear tires. That's it. Let it swing. Let it be free between your rear tires. The rest is experience, knowledge, and implement specific.

My rear implements generally swing a few inches left or right. Bottom line... Ya just gotta keep them off of the rear tires. If I were running it tight, (Ha! I never do) I'd lift the 3 point in tighter turns.

I don't run rear mowers with wheels. Never have.... but that could be different.

Last edited:

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
Respectfully. That advice, In a non-specific and general use, is exactly what you DO NOT want to do. There is no SNUG in implements sway bar settings.

Keep it off of the tires, but let it swing. See my previous post.

Lots of tractor repair and parts shops love tight sway links. See what Hodge said below...

Last edited:

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
steady.
^^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^^