3 Point Bail Spear Question

bc1962

Equipment
M7060HD ROPS / M4-071D / M6800 ROPS / RC2512 / ZD1211
Nov 23, 2015
Walnut Grove, AL
I need to purchase a 3 point bail spear for my M7060. I like the Tarter Heavy Duty Super Spear with 2-stage quick-hitch Category I and Category II pin hookups. Other build a similar spear, but this is available local, and beats shipping cost folded in by other manufacturers (King Cutter, Etc..)

On the Tatar website it shows picture with the main spear mounted about halfway up the vertical tube. However, when I visited my local CO-OP, they had two different versions on the Heave Duty Super Spear. Both had the same part number, but one has the main spear mounted higher than the one shown on the web.

Does anyone have any insight on why they would build two versions of the same spear, and why I would choose one over the other?

Thanks

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
There are opinions on the purpose of different bale spears based on the type of bale you make/purchase.

Often folks with very tight bales will use a spear that does not enter the bale in the very center. This is usually a two spear bale mover with the spears side by side, thus missing the center of the bale.

Maybe the carrier you're looking at is a variation of this idea. If the bales are tightly wound, get the higher mounted spear to miss the center.

The reason the center of the bale is avoided if the hay is wrapped real tight is because often times the spike won't enter without moving the bale backwards. Then the bale can turn over if it's a 4x6, or slide on a slope and cause the operator to relocate the tractor to hit it square again. A pain in the butt, literally!