3-point backhoe on M6060

Youngstrom

Equipment
M6060
Feb 8, 2022
West Virginia
I'm buying my 1st tractor, an M6060, for a forested piece of land that I own in the mountains. I'm primarily intending to use it for road maintenance and forestry work but I anticipate needing to do some routine digging (trenching for pipes, footings, ditches, etc). I'd like to put a backhoe on the back of the tractor (avoid having to buy a 2nd machine and where my property is makes renting a major PITA) but the M4509/4011 kubota subframe hoes are apparently at least a year out and will cost $17k+. I've seen the 3-point hoes but a few forum conversations about them being either fine or that they will snap the frames in half but the discussions seem poor and limited. I assume that the few breaks that have happened were on older sub compact models but even that distinction is unavailable. Am I crazy to think about putting something like a Woodmaxx 8600 on a new M6060? Will I actually damage the machine or wish I'd just bought a used Case backhoe instead (I see a bunch of older models for $10-15k). Should I expect a 3-point hoe on a tractor to be capable of digging in rocky mountain soil?

Thanks

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Sp
I'm buying my 1st tractor, an M6060, for a forested piece of land that I own in the mountains. I'm primarily intending to use it for road maintenance and forestry work but I anticipate needing to do some routine digging (trenching for pipes, footings, ditches, etc). I'd like to put a backhoe on the back of the tractor (avoid having to buy a 2nd machine and where my property is makes renting a major PITA) but the M4509/4011 kubota subframe hoes are apparently at least a year out and will cost $17k+. I've seen the 3-point hoes but a few forum conversations about them being either fine or that they will snap the frames in half but the discussions seem poor and limited. I assume that the few breaks that have happened were on older sub compact models but even that distinction is unavailable. Am I crazy to think about putting something like a Woodmaxx 8600 on a new M6060? Will I actually damage the machine or wish I'd just bought a used Case backhoe instead (I see a bunch of older models for $10-15k). Should I expect a 3-point hoe on a tractor to be capable of digging in rocky mountain soil?

Thanks
Spend a little more than you had planned, and buy the lowest hour older Ford or Case backhoe that you can find!

Reactions: 2 users

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
Three point backhoes are not generally all that robust. Since the frame mount for your tractor is in the same price range as a complete used backhoe you'd probably be better served to buy a complete unit.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO

Thanks
You are looking at the wrong class of tractor. The M60 series is an entry level Ag utility tractor. it is meant for farming: spraying, mowing, plowing, raking, tedding, moving hay bales.

Have a look at the L47 TLB (if you dont need a turbocharged engine) or maybe the MX series with a backhoe. L01 series is also fine, but they are lighter so I assume by looking at the M60 you want something heavier. Whatever you do, I do not recommend a 3PT backhoe. Get one that is subframe mounted.

Now on to the soil....it really depends. Have you seen anyone else with a tractor/backhoe digging in it? What did they hit? Are they layers of rock or just rounds? Lots of possibilities here...hard to say.

Reactions: 1 user

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us

Thanks
Three point or subframe mounted you will be light years ahead using that money to buy a used but not used up TLB. There is no shortage of very affordable machines from Ford, JD, JCB, Case, and others.

Dan

Youngstrom

Equipment
M6060
Feb 8, 2022
West Virginia
You are looking at the wrong class of tractor. The M60 series is an entry level Ag utility tractor. it is meant for farming: spraying, mowing, plowing, raking, tedding, moving hay bales.

Have a look at the L47 TLB (if you dont need a turbocharged engine) or maybe the MX series with a backhoe. L01 series is also fine, but they are lighter so I assume by looking at the M60 you want something heavier. Whatever you do, I do not recommend a 3PT backhoe. Get one that is subframe mounted.

Now on to the soil....it really depends. Have you seen anyone else with a tractor/backhoe digging in it? What did they hit? Are they layers of rock or just rounds? Lots of possibilities here...hard to say.
Leaned towards the utility class due to the steepness of my land (1000 ft of elevation top to bottom) and needing to haul mature logs to my sawmill

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Leaned towards the utility class due to the steepness of my land (1000 ft of elevation top to bottom) and needing to haul mature logs to my sawmill
What type of tires are you considering? R1s are going to raise the center of gravity considerably, but very common on the Ag machines. I would still recommend the MX over the M60 for your needs.

Youngstrom

Equipment
M6060
Feb 8, 2022
West Virginia
What type of tires are you considering? R1s are going to raise the center of gravity considerably, but very common on the Ag machines. I would still recommend the MX over the M60 for your needs.
R1s, my property is crisscrossed with old logging roads and I have some serious grades that are dirt/rock so I need the traction. The MX series seemed lacking in the loader capacity (2300 vs 3300) for loading my sawmill (I've got a lot of mature hardwoods, some over 5' diameter) and sitting side by side seemed minimally smaller in width but admittedly, I'm going into this kind of blind having never owned a tractor before...

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
An M6060 on steep land is not going to do you well.
It's got too high center of gravity.

Look at ax MX with R4 or better yet R14 tires
It has better width and better ground clearance.

And you have loader lift capacity backwards.
The M6060 is 1784lbs
The MX6000 is 2275lbs

R4's with chains is the only way to go on wooded hilly terrain.
Beats the living snot out of R1's!

My place is the same as what your describing, lots of grade, lots of trees!

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
As far as the BH thing goes, don't do it.
Yes there is an extremely good chance of doing damage to a tractor without the 4 point subframe.
Real simply the three point puts way too much stress on the mounting points and the case and something will break.

An Older Case BH is a good option, and Mini EX is an EXCELLENT option, it will beat the pants of a BH for ease of operation, versatility and strength.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
As far as the BH thing goes, don't do it.
Yes there is an extremely good chance of doing damage to a tractor without the 4 point subframe.
Real simply the three point puts way too much stress on the mounting points and the case and something will break.

An Older Case BH is a good option, and Mini EX is an EXCELLENT option, it will beat the pants of a BH for ease of operation, versatility and strength.

I agree with the miniEX digging anything...but if he has a mountain to travel up and down.. 3 mph will take awhile. The full backhoe or a Kubota TLB (L47, M62) seems like the best option.

Youngstrom

Equipment
M6060
Feb 8, 2022
West Virginia
My M7060 has a LA1154 on it...the MX6000 has a LA1055. Are you sure you don't have it backwards or does the M6060 have a different loader?

I see the loader capacity for the M6060 with an LA1154 rated as 3307 lbs, it also uses a 2-position pivot point that can adjust for lifting capacity or height, something not available on the MX loaders. Still a lot to think about for me, thanks

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
My M7060 has a LA1154 on it...the MX6000 has a LA1055. Are you sure you don't have it backwards or does the M6060 have a different loader?

Thanks
Do you need a skid steer? A track loader? Excavator? Or a tractor? Lots of combinations and options. I have a forested property 4hr from my residence. I have MX that I commute with occasionally. with a backhoe because I wanted one personally one and I want it readily available at my property. No other reason. By the numbers it makes no sense whatsoever. I would absolutely do it again I love it. If I had a larger barn and more time I would have saved the money on the hoe and bought a mini excavator. I think a CUT and a mini or a mini and a track steer would be ideal. My pockets not deep enough for all three. I think the only reason for the tractor is if you need PTO. Otherwise I think a track steer and a mini would be a great combo. In my opinion the CUT is like a leatherman or Swiss Army knife…ok all around but master of no tasks… except if you need PTO.