2wd L01

WillB

Equipment
MF 1635, lots of implements.
Jan 26, 2014
Innisfil, Ontario
Does anyone on here have a 2wd L01? Gear or hydro, let's see what you have. I have been looking at the L01 series, a 2wd gear model. Have they had many emissions issues?

Thanks.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
you mean the L2501?

Reactions: 1 user

Chanceywd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501DT BH77 VIRNIG URG60-CT 1950 8N
Mar 26, 2021
central ny
Yupp!! Any input is welcomed.
L3301, L3901, L4701. I don't think L2501 can be had in 2wd, or gear.
L2501 can be had in gear, I bought a new 4wd gear in feb this year.

WillB

Equipment
Jan 26, 2014
Innisfil, Ontario
No Gear L2501 up here in Canada, only HST.

But can get 2wd L33/39/4701 up here. I'd prefer a 2wd gear.

Chanceywd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501DT BH77 VIRNIG URG60-CT 1950 8N
Mar 26, 2021
central ny
I am used to old style geared transmissions, I still have a 1950 8n and do a lot with that but wanted a bh and loader. Not a fan of the whole treadle peddle and hydrostatic transmission. So I opted for gear drive and love the foot throttle function with that. (Know I might be out numbered here but it is a Kubota!) I admit to not getting the constant mess transmission definition.

WillB

Equipment
Jan 26, 2014
Innisfil, Ontario
I am used to old style geared transmissions, I still have a 1950 8n and do a lot with that but wanted a bh and loader. Not a fan of the whole treadle peddle and hydrostatic transmission. So I opted for gear drive and love the foot throttle function with that. (Know I might be out numbered here but it is a Kubota!) I admit to not getting the constant mess transmission definition.
I am the same way, prefer a geared trans, and want a 2wd. The MF135 (non multipower) had a constant mesh transmission.

DaveFromMi

Equipment
L3901, 5' Bush Hog
Apr 14, 2021
Indiana
The L01 tractors are not very heavy, so more traction is needed.
I have an L3901, 4WD.
I borrowed a 1 bottom plow and turned over the gardens at a depth of 10". The tractor has plenty of power, but would have trouble in all but very dry ground if only 2WD.
Did some sliding around the furrow even in 4WD.

WillB

Equipment
Jan 26, 2014
Innisfil, Ontario
The L01 tractors are not very heavy, so more traction is needed.
I have an L3901, 4WD.
I borrowed a 1 bottom plow and turned over the gardens at a depth of 10". The tractor has plenty of power, but would have trouble in all but very dry ground if only 2WD.
Did some sliding around the furrow even in 4WD.
I have a a 3 point Kubota Turfbuster rototiller and access to a 14' Kongskilde cultivator. Only time a plow would be used is to break virgin ground. Add some wheel weights, will be fine.

No need for a 4wd.

Last edited:

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
I am the same way, prefer a geared trans, and want a 2wd. The MF135 (non multipower) had a constant mesh transmission.
If you plan on doing a lot of loader work I would take a moment to rethink some things. The 8N is not the same as a new tractor. I like the old Fords and if you could still buy one new it might be tempting to do so. If you can find a gear drive I would go to the dealer and try it before you buy it. The L2501 is the nearest thing that you can buy to an 8N that is new. However the gear and the feel of the tractor will be different.

A new HST 4 x 4 will give you a much more useful machine especially doing loader work. The ability to push into a pile of dirt with the 2 x 4 will be limited as the rear tires will lose traction quickly. Also without the 4 x 4 feature you are limited on your ability to stop the tractor just like on the 8N but the danger will be multiplied many times over by the weight of the FEL.

Also the ability to adjust your speed as you are working is of great benefit. I had a MF 1528 HST. I used it to run a New Holland 273 hay baler. The ability to change speeds instantly allowed me to bale hay faster then I could with a New Holland TL80A. There was no stopping to let the baler catch up and my leg did not hurt from all the clutching. Also when you are bush hogging you can slow the tractor to a crawl when the grass is heavy or haul ass when you are turning or the grass lightens up. The ability to run a tiller with the HST will put the gear to shame.

The resale value is also greatly increased with the HST.

If the 2 x 4 will do what you need that is great but I think you will be working harder then you need.

Reactions: 1 users

WillB

Equipment
Jan 26, 2014
Innisfil, Ontario
If you plan on doing a lot of loader work I would take a moment to rethink some things. The 8N is not the same as a new tractor. I like the old Fords and if you could still buy one new it might be tempting to do so. If you can find a gear drive I would go to the dealer and try it before you buy it. The L2501 is the nearest thing that you can buy to an 8N that is new. However the gear and the feel of the tractor will be different.

A new HST 4 x 4 will give you a much more useful machine especially doing loader work. The ability to push into a pile of dirt with the 2 x 4 will be limited as the rear tires will lose traction quickly. Also without the 4 x 4 feature you are limited on your ability to stop the tractor just like on the 8N but the danger will be multiplied many times over by the weight of the FEL.

Also the ability to adjust your speed as you are working is of great benefit. I had a MF 1528 HST. I used it to run a New Holland 273 hay baler. The ability to change speeds instantly allowed me to bale hay faster then I could with a New Holland TL80A. There was no stopping to let the baler catch up and my leg did not hurt from all the clutching. Also when you are bush hogging you can slow the tractor to a crawl when the grass is heavy or haul ass when you are turning or the grass lightens up. The ability to run a tiller with the HST will put the gear to shame.

The resale value is also greatly increased with the HST.

If the 2 x 4 will do what you need that is great but I think you will be working harder then you need.
No need for a loader, no need for an HST, nor 4wd. I have a set of 3Pt forks that Dad made, get the job done excellent. I grew up on an MF35, have a MF 1635 Power shuttle now, the next tractor will replace the MF.

i have also looked at MF2600H series, 2wd and gear trans with heritage back to the MF35.

With R1 AG tires, a bit of weight a 2wd will get the job done nicely.

BigG

Equipment
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Get Ag R1 tires if you want wheel weights. They will come with adjustable rims and are drilled for wheel weights. Turf and Industrial tires have a set rim and are not made for wheel weights. I am not sure of the new R14 rims. I have not seen them yet.

On the MF check the attachment of the front axle to the frame. Mine was a very poor design and broke off three times. The new MF are not your fathers MF.

Just saw your post about the L3301. Just so you know they have the computer and Tier 4 on them whereas the L2501 are old school.

WillB

Equipment
Jan 26, 2014
Innisfil, Ontario
Get Ag R1 tires if you want wheel weights. They will come with adjustable rims and are drilled for wheel weights. Turf and Industrial tires have a set rim and are not made for wheel weights. I am not sure of the new R14 rims. I have not seen them yet.

On the MF check the attachment of the front axle to the frame. Mine was a very poor design and broke off three times. The new MF are not your fathers MF.
Only have the 1635, Looking to go newer. The 2600H has had build quality issues.
Thanks for the tip on wheel weights.
How are the Kubota emissions systems? Avoid and go L2501? Or go L3301?

Last edited:

BigG

Equipment
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Only have the 1635, Looking to go newer. The 2600H has had build quality issues.
Thanks for the tip on wheel weights.
How are the Kubota emissiobs systems? Avoid and go L2501? Or go L3301?
I am old school and bought the L2501 because it does not have the emissions. Often people on here tell me I am all wet and there is no need to avoid emissions. And there does not seam to be a lot of problems but the tractors are relatively new in design. There was a problem with one model B3350 but Kubota stopped building them. Every tractor built over the 25 hp is going to have emission stuff on them.

Reactions: 1 users