2680 runs hot

OrangeBX

Equipment
Bx2680 FEL, MMM 60", EA 5' rear blade, lp ph10 auger, 50" tiller
Apr 24, 2016
North of Zachary, La
Mowing even at 80^, I have to go down to idle after about 30 mins. to let it cool down. After that it's about 15 mins. The temp guage goes to top of the white and looks like it will continue to rise to the red. Forgive me if this has already been talked about. Coolant is good and screen is clean. It has about 500 hrs. I don't recall it ever getting this warm. Thanks in advance,
Dave B

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
clean the radiator.

the screen catches the big stuff but a lot of little stuff gets through and plugs the radiator fins.

very common on BX's and G & GR series

Reactions: 2 users

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
Blow air or run water from a hose through the radiator fins from back to front. This way you'll force stuff out the way it entered.

Motion

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota MX5100HST/FEL
Aug 17, 2020
Mandeville Louisiana
If airflow and coolant circuit are good, make sure the brakes aren't applied and the three point feed back adjustment is correct if not the relief valve is bypassing and can cause excessive heat build up and rob horse power.

Reactions: 1 user

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
Maybe the temperature sending sensor/unit is broken. Take an inexpensive infrared heat sensor/gun and measure the engines temperature.

Reactions: 1 users

Grandad4

Equipment
1949 Farmall M, previously owned: L 4610, BX 2230
Apr 5, 2016
Greensboro, NC
Used a BX for mowing, etc. for 15 years. Lugbolt is exactly right. You have to clean the radiator fins periodically, depending on how much/how often you mow. Compressed air works, gentle water spray works (cold engine only!), avold power wash. I did mine maybe once a month during mowing season, your mileage may vary, etc.

Reactions: 1 user

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
If none of that solves the issue, have the radiator cap tested. Or just buy a new one for a couple bucks.

OrangeBX

Equipment
Apr 24, 2016
North of Zachary, La
Thanks. I was going to blow out the fins but wasn't holding out much hope for that. I will be doing some mowing this afternoon after cleaning the radiator. If that doesn't help, I'll go down the list y'all have given me. I've been mowing with a lawnmower to keep the hours down, but that mower will not cut a leaf or even pick up a small stick! They pass through the chute unharmed! OK for summer but not for the (pecan) leaves now
I'll let y'all know.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
On a different piece of equip’t…. I experienced a puzzling overheating problem such as described…. Working it moderately hard it would overheat but let it idle a bit and it’d cool down…then shorter periods to overheat subsequently.
Lots of time-and-effort wasted chasing down thermostat, radiator, etc. etc…. the problem….. ended up being a water pump impeller that would “spin” on it’s shaft when it heated up (loosing pumping-power). New water pump solved the problem. (JD 4239 engine)

OrangeBX

Equipment
Apr 24, 2016
North of Zachary, La
Thanks for all the helpful tips. After cleaning the way clogged radiator, she runs cool as a cuc! It's amazing how much I've forgotten over the years! I've washed a few radiators clogged with seeds and such in my younger days. Truth is I was going to check that before I ran it again.
I wanted to also see if folks were seeing something else going on with these little motors. Like water pump issues or something. I also had a water pump go out on a pickup that made no noise and didn't leak. It was just as GeoHorn described. So thanks everyone for y'alls input!
Dave B