2150 with turfs on back, switch to R4?

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
A week ago I didn't even know what an R4 was, now I think I want them.

My upgrade tractor came with a backhoe "kit" (needs cylinders, lines, lots of work), so it probably came with R4s. The PO said he used it on smaller residential lots that he bought/flipped, and he put a brand new set of Turfs on the back because he said the original tires (didn't know R4 from R1) were both dry rotted plus too aggressive and cut up the yards when doing loader/blade work. I was thinking of posting a Craigs List ad offering to swap even for some "like new" (or cash diff for serviceable if that's all I can find). In AZ where it's pretty much dry all the time, is it worth it for traction? I'm also not clearing scrub, so the heavier tire isn't that important for me there either.

Should I just be satisfied and use them, or would I be enough happier with R4s to make the effort? I don't imagine I'll want to keep it forever, once the main work here is done, I may sell it (who am I kidding?) and keep a smaller tractor (like my 7100D I've gotten fond of, sad to admit that I suppose). If so, would the turfs sell better? I know there is no exact science here, just looking for opinions, maybe someone who has run both in a similar application?

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
So, no comments?

I know R1s would give me the best traction, and honestly I would lean that way, but that also requires a wheel change since I currently have the super wide Turf/R4 wheels. And being that it has (or will have again anyway) a Backhoe, the industrial rated tires might also be desired for that.

Main question is, for surfaces generally consisting of hard or loose-dry (almost dusty) soil, will the R4s improve traction (or lifespan) enough to be worth the effort to work toward? When/if I get around to the theoretical garden, the R1s would certainly make a better choice, but I think the R4s would certainly be a large improvement from Turfs.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
In my area, I have seen people attempt to trade turfs for ags, but didn't get any bites. Turfs to ags is a common move (for my region), so it isn't a desirable trade. I would use what you have and see if they work, then adjust. It is surprising how much traction you can get from turfs. Unless you are in slick or sloppy mud, they may work fine for you.
I have turfs and want ags, but so far, on surfaces from gravel to dry grass to wet grass to dirt and mud and snow, the turfs have done the job. They suffer the most on wet grass and in mud, and really shine on snow.

Wild and Free

Equipment
B2150 HSD w/Case L340 fel 68" quicktach bkt, 60" jinma snowblower, box scraper
Oct 25, 2012
North Dakota
Here you go all you need to know about R4's on a B2150. I would never look at another turf after seeing what the tire i put on are capable of versus the turfs i took off.

http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7327

My turfs were dry rotted out so I upgraded to what is in the thread above with absolutely zero issues and i have worked the snot out of it a lot since the switch and all in 4x4 no binding what so ever.

Last edited:

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
My problem is worse than I realized (again). I'm not well versed on tractors, or their tires. I knew these looked a lot like AT truck tires, but didn't think much of it. Tonight I actually pulled the numbers, planning to throw the dice and see if there were any lawn mower takers, you never know. What I found was that they ARE truck tires! Yokohama LT Geolander Radials to be precise. So, I guess I'll call discount tomorrow to see what they cost retail, mark it down suitably to sell to the HUGE off road crowd in Phoenix, and order some new R4s. I also need fronts at the same time due to dry rot and ~70% wear. Boy, that's an expense I could do without, but yer' rolls the dice and yer' takes yer' chances; and sometimes you loose...

lheward01

Equipment
B2150
Jun 13, 2013
Holly, MI
In my area, I have seen people attempt to trade turfs for ags, but didn't get any bites. Turfs to ags is a common move (for my region), so it isn't a desirable trade. I would use what you have and see if they work, then adjust. It is surprising how much traction you can get from turfs. Unless you are in slick or sloppy mud, they may work fine for you.
I have turfs and want ags, but so far, on surfaces from gravel to dry grass to wet grass to dirt and mud and snow, the turfs have done the job. They suffer the most on wet grass and in mud, and really shine on snow.
Hodge, I have a b2150 with ag's and am looking to switch to turfs or R4. My rears are in good shape the fronts are worn. If you are interested in a trade let me know. I do some work is very loose powdery sand and am looking for wider tires. E-mail me at lonnieh@accurateappraise.com