20V DIY Light Stand - Small Project

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
I've often thought about buying or making some kind of light stand to add to the lineup of battery powered work lights. Something that could go on a stand and be aimed easily. Something that would do a large area. When a buddy gave me an adaptor that clips onto a DeWalt 20V MAX battery several weeks ago, it got me to thinking.

There were a couple new Maxxima MWL42's here that were bought last year for the old Ford. But the Ford doesn't get used very much after dark. There are also several serviceable halogen lights laying around, like the ones the Ford has been wearing since 1991. Then there's the Slik tripod gathering dust. Most of the material was just waiting to be put together. Still need to do a runtime test, but it appears a 20V 5AH battery should keep one light on for almost 3 hours and both on for about 1-1/2 hours.

I had thought of adding a "flat two" plug like I have on some other stuff, but (A) didn't want to be capable of feeding 12V and 20V together and (B) was too lazy to add a switch to prevent that:) Plenty of 20V batteries anyway.

Here's the result. The night pic is of the sheds about 100' away.

Attachments

• Love
Reactions: 2 users

Showmedata

Equipment
LX3310
May 18, 2022
Boulder CO
presumably those are 12V lights... are you driving them directly with the 18V off the battery? Or did you include a voltage splitter of some sort in the switch box?

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I like it.

I rarely/never work after dark, but those are pretty cool to have around "just in case" and since it basically cost you nothing, thats a bonus.

Good job!
(y)

chim

Equipment
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
I don't normally plan to work after dark. Sometimes when trying to get work finished the sun goes down before I do:)

Aux lighting does see use indoors, like when working in unfinished attic spaces. Also handy when painting a room (I'd rather have a root canal).

Reactions: 1 user

Alfred_2345

Equipment
L3901, LA525, BH77, SGC1060, RZ60, Box Blade, Z726XKW ZTM, RTV-X900
Jan 5, 2023
Northwest Arkansas
an adaptor that clips onto a DeWalt 20V MAX battery
I did something similiar for my DeWalt batteries. I 3D printed my adapter.

Important NOTE: The batteries do not have undervoltage protection! If you forget and leave the lights on too long they can/will drain the batteries below the safe recharge voltage and ruin them.

I came close to doing this. So as an electronics engineer I designed and built a little undervoltage lockout circuit for mine.

Last edited:

chim

Equipment
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
I did something similiar for my DeWalt batteries. I 3D printed my adapter.

Important NOTE: The batteries do not have undervoltage protection! If you forget and leave the lights on too long they can/will drain the batteries below the safe recharge voltage and ruin them.

I came close to doing this. So as an electronics engineering I designed and built a little undervoltage lockout circuit for mine.
Or do this:

Alfred_2345

Equipment
Jan 5, 2023
Northwest Arkansas
Or do this:

⚠ I don't recommend that anyone do what the video shows. ⚠ We have no idea what the actual voltage of the dead battery was. The fact that it only took a few seconds shows it wasn't that far below the cut off. Aslo, he did not use any current limiting device (e.g. resistor).

While a slightly undervoltage Li-Ion battery can be recovered, a completely discharged one should not as there is a significant risk of fire.

Over discharging batteries also reduces their capacity and shortens the life.

While I think everyone should be free to do what they want, that also comes with taking responsibility for the outcome. Don't blame others if it goes wrong and definitely don't try to make them pay for it.

If anyone want's more technical information so they can make their own decisions, I would be happy to provide.

(Edited for spelling and grammar.)

Last edited:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
You can't 'totally drain' the RYOBI 18+ batteries. The internal computer prevents that. I'm surprised (kinda) that other makes allow you to totally drain.

chim

Equipment
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Since I'm not an "electrical engineering", I can only say that there are numerous examples of the above method.

Alfred_2345

Equipment
Jan 5, 2023
Northwest Arkansas
other makes allow you to totally drain
As long as you stay in the DeWalt world, your OK. The tools have the under voltage protection.

It's a design decision. If you put the circuit in the battery pack, you have to have a transistor (switch) large enough to handle peak current all of which cost something. My guess is that by doing it in the tool, DeWalt doesn't have to have a separate "disable". The motor controller is just disabled when the voltage is too low (over simplified version).

Alfred_2345

Equipment
Jan 5, 2023
Northwest Arkansas
Since I'm not an "electrical engineering", I can only say that there are numerous examples of the above method.
I are an engineer. :ROFLMAO: Never said my English was perfect (nor my design skills).

You can find all kinds of videos on YouTube that are worth what you paid for them. You can probably still find "Tide Pod challenge" videos online. Doesn't mean people should do it.

There is a lot more to recovering a under-voltaged Li-Ion battery then what is shown in that video nor does it mention of what can go wrong. Google "lithium battery fire". These fires are chemical fires that a traditional fire extinguisher (water, CO2, dry chem) will not put out.

I just wanted to let folks know so that they were aware and could make a better, informed, decision.