2017 L2501 will not stay running

MFWilson

Equipment
L2501
Feb 17, 2022
Indiana
My tachometer was not working so i changed the cable. It shows a 100 hours but i would say it has about 250 on it. It started running a little rough and would lose power. Now it will not stay running. I cleaned the air filter but it was so dirty that i went ahead and replaced it, put a new fuel filter on as well. I have been running through fuel lately with all the snow. So i did not think i had bad fuel. But i drained it all and put some more in. Now it will not even start. Sorry new to Kubota and diesel.

Reactions: 1 user

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
It cranks, but no start?

Do you have a cold weather additive in your diesel?

Do you have fresh fuel you've gotten this cold season, or is it leftover from the summer/warm season?

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
While we are on it, that air filter needs to be checked every 10 hours, even more if you are in dusty conditions. Do not let it get clogged. Go back to your manual and review the entire maintenance section. It will keep you out of lots of trouble!

When you started this season how long had that fuel sat in the tank with no additive?
You could have some algae buildup blocking the fuel flow, but you need to check that to be sure. At least I would check fuel flow first.

MFWilson

Equipment
L2501
Feb 17, 2022
Indiana
It cranks, but no start?

Do you have a cold weather additive in your diesel?

Do you have fresh fuel you've gotten this cold season, or is it leftover from the summer/warm season?
Yes to the additve yes to the new fuel also have added some clear diesel.
drain the tank also

MFWilson

Equipment
L2501
Feb 17, 2022
Indiana
While we are on it, that air filter needs to be checked every 10 hours, even more if you are in dusty conditions. Do not let it get clogged. Go back to your manual and review the entire maintenance section. It will keep you out of lots of trouble!

When you started this season how long had that fuel sat in the tank with no additive?
You could have some algae buildup blocking the fuel flow, but you need to check that to be sure. At least I would check fuel flow first.
It will run fine then acts like it is not getting any fuel

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If you changed the fuel filter did you bleed the air out of the system before you tried to start it?

19thSF

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, loader, MMM, pallet forks, tooth bar, rear blade, JD 318 w/plow, JD X350
Mar 1, 2020
Glendale, Rhode Island
My tachometer was not working so i changed the cable. It shows a 100 hours but i would say it has about 250 on it. It started running a little rough and would lose power. Now it will not stay running. I cleaned the air filter but it was so dirty that i went ahead and replaced it, put a new fuel filter on as well. I have been running through fuel lately with all the snow. So i did not think i had bad fuel. But i drained it all and put some more in. Now it will not even start. Sorry new to Kubota and diesel.
Please ignor the "like". I clicked on it unintentionally. Here is real long shot, but worth a try. Loosen the fuel cap and try starting and running. If it solves the problem you have a clogged fuel cap breather. If air can't get into the tank, fuel can't get out of the tank. I know that you said that you had the cap off to put in clean fuel, and that is why it is a long shot. The tank won't get "vacuum bound" until you run some fuel out of it

Good luck with your issue. Please let us know when you resolve the problem.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yea you're going to need to get the air out.
On the side of the injection pump is a jet start valve.
Open it up and crank the engine in short runs till you get fuel with no air out of the valve then close it.
If that doesn't work you're going to need to crack the injector lines at the injectors to get the air out.
Jet start.JPG

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Did it only start running poorly after the Tach cable change?

MFWilson

Equipment
L2501
Feb 17, 2022
Indiana
Please ignor the "like". I clicked on it unintentionally. Here is real long shot, but worth a try. Loosen the fuel cap and try starting and running. If it solves the problem you have a clogged fuel cap breather. If air can't get into the tank, fuel can't get out of the tank. I know that you said that you had the cap off to put in clean fuel, and that is why it is a long shot. The tank won't get "vacuum bound" until you run some fuel out of it

Good luck with your issue. Please let us know when you resolve the problem.
Well…… found out the fuel bleeder valve was open. But i have collected some good information here thank you